Best Ever Movies (2015 Edition)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/01/2016 04:31
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

(Really, if you like Joy or American Hustle more than I Heart Huckabees, then.... Crying or Very sad The latter is just so...pure and honest, and disliking it almost sounds like kicking puppies to me)

Sorry Charlie Sad I really couldn't stand i Heart Huckabees. I gave it a second chance about a year ago and still disliked it.

I think Joy was pretty bad, but I feel like I need to rewatch it... maybe. I've only seen the screener with the promotional scenes cut. It's only fair to judge it once I've seen the entire thing.

American Hustle (ironically, what I think Joy should have been titled) is a mess, I agree. Not as bad as Huckabees though. At least American Hustle has a pretty good performance from Amy Adams, and the opening title shot is pretty cool. After that, it goes downhill Laughing

Is it weird that I like Silver Linings Playbook? O'Russell has to be one of the most frustrating directors... I know he can pull off a decent movie, but continuously seems to fail somehow.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 04:44
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Applerill wrote:

(Really, if you like Joy or American Hustle more than I Heart Huckabees, then.... Crying or Very sad The latter is just so...pure and honest, and disliking it almost sounds like kicking puppies to me)

O'Russell has to be one of the most frustrating directors... I know he can pull off a decent movie, but continuously seems to fail somehow.

I agree, but you wanna know why he's like that? Film Crit Hulk has a great piece on him.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/01/20/...o.-russell
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 12:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Is it weird that I like Silver Linings Playbook? O'Russell has to be one of the most frustrating directors... I know he can pull off a decent movie, but continuously seems to fail somehow.

SLP and The Fighter are great. Those are the only two of his I've seen but he seems to be a fine director even if he gets really Oscar-bait at times. Though I've heard bad about his last two.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 17:38
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
then maybe a pre-1945 or pre-war ranking? Or a silent films one? Maybe a 45-59.

Eh? I love you Mercury but you're nuts. No need to revert from the decades lists. The 30s, 40s and 50s are all top 100 worthy on their own, no need in mixing them up by pre and post war (though I can kind of see the value in doing it from a historical standpoint). I am down for a list trhat covers everything pre-1930 when the time comes though. I've seen just a touch over 100 movies from the 20s but throw in the handful I've seen from before 1920 and then you've got a comprehensive silent era list (although talkies from the late 20s like The Jazz Singer are eligible and silent films from the 30s like City Lights are disqualified - City Lights is my #1 of the 30s anyway)

But yeah its 2016 and it's too soon for this, and I don't think I even voted in the last overall 100.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 17:41
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
I'm not worried about the civility behind the idea more just... what's the point?

This will probably come up more in the point of discussion about bad movies, but I'm fascinated by them, and think a really awful movie serves as a lesson in what good movies do have. I've been searching for bad movies, worst movies, etc. on my own and so for the selfish reasoning, it'd get me more recommendations of the real scum of the earth movies, and as a whole I think it would be interesting if there were consensus awful movies.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 03/01/2016 17:47
  • Post subject:
Why do people intentionally seek out bad art when there's so much good art in the world yet to be discovered? Why would you spend 90 minutes masturbating about how above Idiocracy you are when you could spend 90 minutes with one of the literally thousands of wonderful films that exist in the world? I feel like it's really stupid to say that you learn about good movies by watching bad ones unless you're one of the incredibly few if any people on this board who has a working knowledge of all the great directors and eras of cinema as well as a solid grasp on contemporary world cinema. I have such a hard time finding time for movies, and I would completely loathe myself if I had missed a Marienbad or a Red Desert because I wanted to make sure that a direct-to-VHS Jim Belushi film was really as bad as I anticipated it being.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/01/2016 18:17
  • Post subject:
yeah that whole post just went over my head ben

I really don't see the point in trying to watch bad movies as opposed to trying to watch good ones
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/01/2016 18:38
  • Post subject:
counterpoint: the room.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 18:41
  • Post subject:
Yeah I have little to no interest in watching bad movies. Our list would probably have just as many acclaimed/popular movies that some of us actually like as it would crappy Ed Wood and Rob Schneider movies. I generally use IMDb as a reference and rarely watch anything rated below a 7.0 these days unless it's something that's so against the general grain that it's a "love it or hate it" kind of movie like Antichrist or Under the Skin that regular people just don't understand.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/01/2016 18:52
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
regular people