Prince

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 07:55
  • Post subject:
I loved Purple Rain, I tracked down two earlier albums ('1999' and 'Prince' (the one with a very early version of 'I feel for you' on it)) because I liked that album so much, but nothing ever matched Purple Rain for me, and the follow up, when it did come out, 'Around the World in a day' was pretty dreadful.

Yes okay I know I'm supposed to say nice things because he's dead, but he could be horribly inconsistent if we're being honest.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 08:05
  • Post subject:
neilgee wrote:
I loved Purple Rain, I tracked down two earlier albums ('1999' and 'Prince' (the one with a very early version of 'I feel for you' on it)) because I liked that album so much, but nothing ever matched Purple Rain for me, and the follow up, when it did come out, 'Around the World in a day' was pretty dreadful.

Yes okay I know I'm supposed to say nice things because he's dead, but he could be horribly inconsistent if we're being honest.

People are posting here because Prince touched their life in some way and are saddened by the news of his death. It's a shame that you seem bothered by that.
undefined

• Posted: 04/23/2016 08:32
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
neilgee wrote:

People are posting here because Prince touched their life in some way and are saddened by the news of his death. It's a shame that you seem bothered by that.

not to mention ATWIAD is a fine album containing one of the greatest pop singles of all time
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/23/2016 08:39
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
ButterThumbz wrote:
neilgee wrote:

not to mention ATWIAD is a fine album containing one of the greatest pop singles of all time

Great as it is (which is super super great), 'Raspberry Beret' isn't even the best single from that album.
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 08:55
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
neilgee wrote:

I'm not saying he didn't touch my life, I spent many happy hours engrossed in the PR album, but I'm not going to pretend everything he did was of that quality.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/23/2016 09:21
  • Post subject:
neilgee wrote:
ButterThumbz wrote:
neilgee wrote:

I'm not saying he didn't touch my life, I spent many happy hours engrossed in the PR album, but I'm not going to pretend everything he did was of that quality.

It just seems odd to point out somebody's perceived flaws just after they die. Nobody is calling Prince the most consistent artist ever (although I wholly disagree about AtWiaD, and about 1999 not matching Purple Rain), but the fact that you couldn't say anything nicer than "one good album, the rest is meh" says more about you than him.
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 09:35
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
neilgee wrote:
ButterThumbz wrote:
neilgee wrote:

It just seems odd to point out somebody's perceived flaws just after they die. Nobody is calling Prince the most consistent artist ever (although I wholly disagree about AtWiaD, and about 1999 not matching Purple Rain), but the fact that you couldn't say anything nicer than "one good album, the rest is meh" says more about you than him.

Sorry but I don't get this whole 'just after they die' angle as though that's supposed to change my opinion, as though death isn't part of life, as though it changes everything that's gone before. If that makes me a terrible person so be it.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/23/2016 09:49
  • Post subject:
neilgee wrote:
Skinny wrote:
neilgee wrote:
ButterThumbz wrote:
n eilgee wrote:

Sorry but I don't get this whole 'just after they die' angle as though that's supposed to change my opinion, as though death isn't part of life, as though it changes everything that's gone before. If that makes me a terrible person so be it.

I generally agree with the sentiment, and I'm not suggesting anybody hop on a bandwagon and alter their opinion because of someone's death, but at a time when people are mourning the loss and celebrating the life of someone who touched them, it feels a little tactless to speak negatively of them. But it's whatever.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/23/2016 10:42
  • Post subject:
Yeah I do think there is a difference when we are talking about a real person that goes beyond just his literal artistic output, it does seem a bit in poor taste to use a mourning thread to say "eh, not that great". I mean it's one thing to talk smack about a fictional character we knew and love who just died ("OBERYN YOU FUCKING IDIOT WHY DID YOU LET THE CLAWS OF VICTORY SHOVE THEMSELVES RIGHT BACK THROUGH YOUR SKULL JUST IN THE NAME OF YOUR BATTERED PRIDE?!!!!!"), but maybe save the "don't care for his stuf too much" for the comment sections on Prince's albums, those are immortal- but for now I don't see the need for a negative vibe however mild it may be and why there's a compelling need to spread 'em (unless you're the 32-year-old butthurt scar on Tipper Gore).

Sorry to sound like Thumper's mom, Anyways for a positive note got some wine and going to rekindle some fun, very drunken, very chaotic and kind of gay memories I have with "Pussy Patrol" and blast it to the stratosphere.
  • Visit poster's website
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2016 10:55
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

I generally agree with the sentiment, and I'm not suggesting anybody hop on a bandwagon and alter their opinion because of someone's death, but at a time when people are mourning the loss and celebrating the life of someone who touched them, it feels a little tactless to speak negatively of them. But it's whatever.

This will sound hopelessly irrelevant and off topic but just to make it clear I'm not having a go at Prince or his fans this sort of hush you can only say good things when a person's dead really only started to annoy me at my parent's funerals. Bear with me, I'm not saying I wanted everyone to slag off my parents, but I wanted to remember them as they really were, flaws and all, I just don't think there's anything particularly respectful about a whitewash because it doesn't represent the real person. It almost becomes like you are burying a stranger.
  • Visit poster's website