What is it with Revolver?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
The_111th_Beatle

• Posted: 12/27/2006 16:13
  • Post subject:
SamTheMan wrote:
Most overated band of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeppelin 'n Floyd any day

The least you could do is stick and IMO before that and not make it look like what you say is fact set in stone. I dont want to turn this into an argument about why I think the Beatles are better than Led Zep and Pink Floyd (though I do like those bands) but like I said earlier in this thread whether or not you like the Beatles its hard to say they are overated when you look at the long list of their supporters that contains some really great artists (Dylan, Brian Wilson, the Stones etc)
evilzzz
  • Posted: 01/08/2007 00:34
  • Post subject:
Some interesting discussion. Revolver is #2 on my top-20 list, and imho it's simply timeless - a true classic. The word "Classic" actually derives from the latin "classicus" which means "good enough to withstand the test of time."

WRT Revolver and the Beatles in general, their music is SO good that I think it will be replayed and reinterpreted for the next 100 years. Sure, listening to the Beatles' music as it was recorded, you may not be a fan of their jangly guitar riffs and harmonies, but the actual quality of the MUSIC is irreproachable. By this, I mean that artists yesterday, today, and in the future will be able to take a Beatles' song and interpret it on their own way - the music is structurally good enough to lend itself to that. The Beatles' music is NOT about laying claim to the most amazingly complex or technically demanding guitar solos or the most incredible vocal performances or being the "definite interpretation" of a musical piece. It is about an elegance expressed through melodies and lyrics that appeal to something in nearly all of us.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia
  • Posted: 02/13/2007 16:39
  • Post subject:
I think Beatles generaly is kinda overhyped. I think they are not the best group, surely not. But they are still good, great and diserve a place in pop music history but i would not compare them with some other great bands and artists. We have heared better!
  • Visit poster's website
SamTheMan

• Posted: 02/14/2007 12:24
  • Post subject: My NEW opinion on The Beatles
my new opinion on the beatles is that it is just a case of being in the right place at the right time.
If Tim Buckley would have been recognised (and not gone off on one. Lorca & Starsailor, he would have been big)
If the beatles came out now they would get panned by music fans & reviews because thier music would sound dated.
This is just my opinion, but "The 111th Beatle", you have to admit that Zeppelin & Floyd are musically superior... if you don't then whatever, I'll shut up but I'm sure that most of the people on this site will and should agree with me!
Wink
  • Visit poster's website
The_111th_Beatle

• Posted: 02/14/2007 17:05
  • Post subject: Re: My NEW opinion on The Beatles
SamTheMan wrote:
my new opinion on the beatles is that it is just a case of being in the right place at the right time.
If Tim Buckley would have been recognised (and not gone off on one. Lorca & Starsailor, he would have been big)
If the beatles came out now they would get panned by music fans & reviews because thier music would sound dated.
This is just my opinion, but "The 111th Beatle", you have to admit that Zeppelin & Floyd are musically superior... if you don't then whatever, I'll shut up but I'm sure that most of the people on this site will and should agree with me!
Wink

Then how do you explain their popularity today with an age group born decades after the Beatles broke up. The Beatles music has remained popular for so long and is discovered by new fans all the time because its good, thats how I judge good music how long it lasts. Some bands are really popular in their time because of their attitude or style or because its fashionable to like their type of music (most punk bands in the late 70's) but once their popular phase has past they couldn't sell out a barn because their music isn't good enough to stand the test of time. Even if the artist in question was never really popular but 20 or 30 years after they realeased their albums people (even its only a few thousand) are still enjoying them. In the Beatles' case millions of people are still enjoying their music, proof to me if I need any that they are quality. I'm 18 and I love their music (so do a lot of my friends). I love them because I think they are one of the greatest bands of all time, I don't think they're great because I love them.

Also the argument that they wouldn't be popular today is superfluous, they were the biggest selling artists of 2000 and people are predicting they'll fill all top 10 slots if their music becomes available on itunes. IMO The Beatles, Led Zep and Floyd would all be well regarded and quite popular today because of the quality of their music but if they were around today and didn't get to number 1 I wouldn't take that as a sign that they aren't good because I don't judge the Beatles' (or any other band's) quality on the amount of records they sell.

Personally I think the Beatles are better than Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, they have superior musical variety. They could write fantastic pop songs that would please the public and impress others in the music industry (eg Dylan liked 'I Want To Hold Your Hand') but they could also experiment, making music that would sound unique and unusual but be recognisable as good music from the moment you heard it and wouldn't have to be excused from bad reviews because its 'art' or experimental (they weren't pretencious, not that Floyd or Led Zep were either). I think in some ways they've become victims of their own success because people can't believe today (when public music tastes are generally poor and the charts are no sign of quality) that such a successful band could also be popular, people want to feel superior by thinking that a band only they and perhaps a few of their friends like or have heard of are better (not that I'm saying their aren't great artists with small fan bases, Elvis Costello was never hugely popular but he's fantastic) than anything that appeals to 'the masses.' I'm not trying to insult you by accusing you of this inverse snobbery but I am saying that is IMO the reason why some people refuse to give the Beatles the credit the deserve, which is a shame because they are denying themselves great music.

Quote:
I'm sure that most of the people on this site will and should agree with me![

The Beatles have more albums (4) than any other band in the top 20 of the member ratings chart of this site.
SamTheMan

• Posted: 02/14/2007 17:28
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Then how do you explain their popularity today with an age group born decades after the Beatles broke up?

Like me the youth of today will have had music from their parents played to them so much that they will have grown to like it. IMO

You didn't mention Buckley, why not?
  • Visit poster's website
SamTheMan

• Posted: 02/14/2007 17:36
  • Post subject:
Quote:
why some people refuse to give the Beatles the credit the deserve, which is a shame because they are denying themselves great music.

I've listened to the beatles, i still think that they're vastly overrated compared to :
dylan
zep
floyd
drake
buckley
yes Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
The_111th_Beatle

• Posted: 02/14/2007 19:30
  • Post subject:
My dad is a Beatles fan but he didn't have many of their albums and never played the ones he had so my decision to listen to them and like them were purely independant.

Also most people rebel against their parents in their music taste (eg punk in the late 70s, rap in the mid 90s) and would be likely to resent the music their parents like. My brother and sister hate the music my dad listens to and most people I've talked to haven't been hugely influenced by their parents' taste in music.

Also the Beatles may be favourites of parents but Led Zep, Dylan, Floyd are favourites of a generation that are now in their late 40's/early 50's that would have played them a lot when their kids (now in late teens or early 20's) were growing up, so by your logic (about people only liking the Beatles because their parents do) also applies to these bands. The Beatles afterall aren't the only band to get played a lot by parents, I practically grew up on my dad playing Dylan and Elvis Costello.

I didnt mention Buckley because I haven't heard enough of him so I can't argue whether or not he's better than the Beatles. I'm just arguing that the Beatles are a great band and equal or (IMO) better than Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Bob Dylan.
empire22
  • Posted: 02/27/2007 03:36
  • Post subject:
Why is Revolver considered among the greatest, if not the greatest album of all time? Because it is among, if not, it is the greatest album ever. You'll find it crowning my personal list of best albums.

I will justify this here.

Revolver grabs your ears from the eerie counting at the beginning of Taxman, and doesn't let them go until the last psychedelic chords of Tomorrow Never Knows. Between, the boys from Liverpool packed 14 instantly memorable, deep, and downright enjoyable songs. They run the gamut from hard rocking "Got to Get You Into My Life" to the pop tinged "Good Day Sunshine", and in between those genres, songs that completely defy description but stick in your mind. I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Tomorrow Never Knows push the bounds of what was then music, and it pushed those bounds out to the adoration of the listening public. As revolutionary and unique as the tracks came, they were always a joy to listen, and that is the true essence of music.

You can take your Dylan and I'll share Zeppelin with you, but nobody can compare to the Beatles
  • Visit poster's website
The_111th_Beatle

• Posted: 02/28/2007 23:15
  • Post subject:
empire22 wrote:
Why is Revolver considered among the greatest, if not the greatest album of all time? Because it is among, if not, it is the greatest album ever. You'll find it crowning my personal list of best albums.

I will justify this here.

Revolver grabs your ears from the eerie counting at the beginning of Taxman, and doesn't let them go until the last psychedelic chords of Tomorrow Never Knows. Between, the boys from Liverpool packed 14 instantly memorable, deep, and downright enjoyable songs. They run the gamut from hard rocking "Got to Get You Into My Life" to the pop tinged "Good Day Sunshine", and in between those genres, songs that completely defy description but stick in your mind. I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Tomorrow Never Knows push the bounds of what was then music, and it pushed those bounds out to the adoration of the listening public. As revolutionary and unique as the tracks came, they were always a joy to listen, and that is the true essence of music.

You can take your Dylan and I'll share Zeppelin with you, but nobody can compare to the Beatles

Hooray someone agrees with me!
Seriously good post, a concise acessment of Revolver's greatness.