EPs on charts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/02/2011 13:50
  • Post subject:
when it's eventually released it will be ok to include it, but why should it be here now?!
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 09/02/2011 20:48
  • Post subject:
On the same topic..

should box sets / bundled albums count either?

They shouldn't imo, as they're not albums...
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/02/2011 20:51
  • Post subject:
What about something like Bruce Springsteen live 75 - 84?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/04/2011 08:06
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
On the same topic..

should box sets / bundled albums count either?

They shouldn't imo, as they're not albums...

I think people who add box-sets to their charts are missing the point of the site.

'Peel Slowly and See' and 'The Beatles Box Set' seem to be topical examples. They are not casual listens are they? The Beatles Box-set consists of about 16 discs and would take a whole day to listen to end-to-end! That said, there is nothing to stop people doing it, I just thought people would be a bit more discerning about their choices.

I think the Springsteen example is slightly different and a more appropriate choice.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/04/2011 09:18
  • Post subject:
Maybe there should be a system wherein users can flag whether an added item deserves to be on the site. Not to open the floodgates and have others prevent legitimate albums but to weed out EPs, Box Sets and bootlegs.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/04/2011 13:10
  • Post subject:
there is a way to highlight these at the moment by selecting 'This album might need to be deleted' as a reason from the data corrections dropdown list for a particular album. Each case can then be looked into.

Box-sets are legitimate releases (albeit unwanted), but I'm really not keen at all on bootlegs being here, particularly if they have never been officially released as albums. EPs with just two or three tracks are also bending the rules.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 09/04/2011 16:09
  • Post subject:
I see no problem in including any of these things, so long as they have been distributed (you don't post up a song you made on fruity loops and didn't release anywhere as your number one).

Box sets are the bomb. They allow you to show your appreciation for an artist that may have several good CDs, but not any really great ones. For example, I used to have Peel Slowly and See (now all four are up on my chart (somewhat artificially high for some)) because I love many VU songs, but couldn't really get behind an entire album. Also, some artists life work is only in scattered recordings or singles (e.g. Rostropovich performances, Howling Wolf); here a box set is very appropriate. And no it's not a 'casual listen', but neither is Twin Infinitives, Trout Mask, or Irrlicht

Compilations are great too. There's the argument that several artists only recorded singles and that a compilation is appropriate for representing those artists (Buzzcocks, New Order singles, James Brown). There's also the argument that the point of a compilation is to put all of the best songs from an artist onto one disc; now who doesn't want that? Yes, inevitably you miss some good songs off the original album and if the group has been around for awhile the sound between tracks might change. Compilations allow you to skip the tracks you don't want to hear, like all those rap skits

EPs are controversial. Since the CD age, record companies have loosely defined 'EP' based on time and/or tracks (e.g. Mars Volta's 70min Francis the Mute is split up so they could get enough tracks to get album wages). To drill this point in, Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians would be considered an EP by some record companies if released during the CD age. Granted an EP with three two-minute songs is pushing it, but I would argue EPs should still be included (Yeah Yeah Yeahs first EP is better than their last two albums, IMO). And I would also argue even singles could be included if a user just really loves that song more than 99 other entire albums.

You've said the point of this site is to celebrate the album, but I doubt that's what most users actually come to this site for. You've created the only comprehensive music oriented website where the users post the content. Granted most users are album oriented because that's what's been drilled into people by the '60s hippies when the first albums came out (compared to the singles whores of today), but I can guarantee you no user is actually here to celebrate the album: every user is here to simply celebrate music. The album is simply a format that conveniently captures several songs in an artists' growth that people may or may not enjoy. Would kidamnesiac like Radiohead any less if Kid A was released between three EPs? I doubt it. And yet, if that happened to be the case, Kid A's existence on this site would be under contention, despite the fact that it is (to some at least) really great music! Because of our music culture, most respected things are released as full albums (though this may be changing to singles now), but there are some fantastic EPs out there (MBV's Glider pops into mind) that cannot be ignored because of format. And if the users are here to simply celebrate music, what's to stop them from posting up a single in their chart. Of course that would mean they think a single is better than many, many albums that may have just two great songs on them, but it's possible (If Wish You Were Here were just title track single, it would be on my chart; the other four songs muck it up for me though). I can't really tell how well I've made my argument, but if you agree that the point of this site is to celebrate music, and not a format on which it comes, this extends to the inclusion of bootlegs as well as EPs and singles. And realistically, I don't see enough people doing this to really effect the statistics
Wombi

• Posted: 09/04/2011 16:38
  • Post subject:
That's a nice speech purple, but I have to vehemently disagree. At least for myself, I am definitely here to celebrate the album as an artform - as a whole piece. I'm not here to celebrate music in just any format (of course we can give it kudos in the forums etc) really if I was I probably wouldn't have joined BEA I could join any old music site. If you look at the 'how did you get here' thread it's pretty clear the majority of people got here via searching for the greatest albums ever not just the best music. There's no way Kid A would be anywhere near as powerful spread across three EP's. I mean the whole point is the journey from 'Everything' to 'Soundtrack' and the whole process. Coincidentally I realised today, If watching a film I'll quite happily pause it if neccecary, but I am really loathed to pause an album (this is obviously a personal note but I think it supports the idea that the album is not just a collection of songs to be skipped forward and backward through at leisure).

I don't have massive problems with EP's (though I'd never put one in one of my own charts) but I think box sets are a massive cop out for people who don't want to make a decision. I mean stuff like 'The Pet Sounds Sessions' is counteractive against the 'Pet Sounds' score just because people want to say they listen to tghe bonus tracks or something. I like harkan's idea of flagging, maybe there could be a vote system and if enough people disagree with the choice and at albummaster's discretion (lest the process is abused) it's removed from the site?

Anyway definitely just want to make it very clear that I am definitely here to celebrate the 'album' and not just music.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 09/04/2011 17:05
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
That's a nice speech purple, but I have to vehemently disagree. At least for myself, I am definitely here to celebrate the album as an artform - as a whole piece. I'm not here to celebrate music in any format (of course we can give it kudos in the forums etc) really if I was I probably wouldn't have joined BEA I could join any old music site. If you look at the 'how did you get here' thread it's pretty clear the majority of people got here via searching for the greatest albums ever not just the best music. There's no way Kid A would be anywhere near as powerful spread across three EP's. I mean the whole point is the journey from 'Everything' to 'Soundtrack' and the whole process. Coincidentally I realised today, If watching a film I'll quite happily pause it if neccecary, but I am really loathed to pause an album (this is obviously a personal note but I think it supports the idea that the album is not just a collection of songs to be skipped forward and backward through at leisure).

I don't have massive problems with EP's (though I'd never put one in one of my own charts) but I think box sets are a massive cop out for people who don't want to make a decision. I mean stuff like 'The Pet Sounds Sessions' is counteractive against the 'Pet Sounds' score just because people want to say they listen to tghe bonus tracks or something. I like harkan's idea of flagging, maybe there could be a vote system and if enough people disagree with the choice and at albummaster's discretion (lest the process is abused) it's removed from the site?

Anyway definitely just want to make it very clear that I am definitely here to celebrate the 'album' and not just music.

Well I was just in a process of writing a long ass response to purple, but this is more coherent than I could ever put it...

I'll add to that later when I feel like it Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 09/05/2011 18:27
  • Post subject:

October 31st! Mr. Green

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smile-Sessions-...amp;sr=8-2