How my chart compares to the rankings.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/02/2017 00:07
  • Post subject:
DJTommy wrote:
32 of the albums in my top 100 are in the BEA top 100.
I guess that’s because I’m not as interested in classic/alternative/indie rock as the avarage user on here and more interested in hip hop, jazz, R&B and more experimental music (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Microphones, Kate Bush, Can, Slint, Talk Talk, Björk kinda stuff) than the avarage user here. Honestly much prefer RateYourMusic’s and Sputnik Music’s overall charts, but I guess that’s more because we have more similar taste.

I have Godspeed YBE and Kate Bush in my top 100. Plus I have Can, Talk Talk and Bjork in my decade charts. I have a little hip hop and am just discovering jazz. Still like indie and rock but I discover new music all the time on BEA. But cheers for mentioning Rate YourMusic and Sputnik. Didn't know them but now will check them out.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 12/02/2017 09:35
  • Post subject:
Albums that rank highly are no doubt thought to be good by a lot of people, and are good, but it also means that at one point they were successfully marketed to the population by the music machinery that existed at the time, and over the course of time became part of the "canon".

What I'm saying is, it's entirely possible that very good albums are made often, but fail to meet a large audience for a host of reasons that have nothing to do with the merit of the music.. If that's the case, then having a bunch of low ranking albums in your charts might not be an indicator of poor taste, but of looking harder for things that suit YOUR taste.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2017 12:22
  • Post subject:
My Chart is a little all over the place. I have 13 Top 100, another 13 in the top 200 (26), and additional 14 in the top 300 (40), 6 more in the top 400 (46), 6 more in the top 500 (52). i more in 600 (53), 4 more in 700 (57), 2 more in top 800 (59), 2 more in top 900 (61), 2 more top 1000 (63), They go all the way up 19000+ in the rankings so i have some very low ones in my chart. So my chart is a little all over the place. now i limited myself to one per artist which makes it a little different than my chart would be if i just did top 100.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2017 16:24
  • Post subject:
I have 59 of the top 100, including all of the top 10. 22 more from the top 200. 19 more in the top 400. 6 more in the top 1000. And 4 outside the top 1000. So I guess I have a pretty basic music taste. I only really started getting into music about four or five years ago, though, so that kind of explains it.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/02/2017 16:54
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
I have 59 of the top 100, including all of the top 10. 22 more from the top 200. 19 more in the top 400. 6 more in the top 1000. And 4 outside the top 1000. So I guess I have a pretty basic music taste. I only really started getting into music about four or five years ago, though, so that kind of explains it.

I wouldn't worry. The top 100 is basically full of great music. If you enjoy those albums you're already killing it Very Happy

lists really don't matter anyway, it's the experience of listening to music that counts!!!.
mozzmozz
... five years, that's all we've got

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/02/2017 17:36
  • Post subject:
Here's the results from my Top 100:
- 4 albums in the overall Top 10 40%
- 7 albums in the overall Top 20 35%
- 12 albums in the overall Top 50 24%
- 17 albums in the overall Top 100 17%
- 29 albums in the overall Top 200 14%
- 50 albums in the overall Top 500 10%
- 59 albums in the overall Top 1000 6%

10 of my albums are outside the top 10,000

Possibly a good simple test to see if your Top 100 is similar to the overall Top 100 is to compare the percentage.
- My chart is 17% which is relatively low.
- 8 Track has 23% which is probably about average.
- Stover75 is 42%
- Dankel will probably be about 15%
- DJ Tommy is 31%
- craola is 3% ... very very low.
- Dihansse is 13%
- Little M 1971 is 20%
- glynspsa is 13%
- Space-Dementia is a massive 59%
On this small sample there is a range of between 3% - 59%.

What does this prove?
Throughout the history of humanity we have compared ourselves to the norm.
We want to be like other people , but we also like to be slightly distinctive.
So there's a spectrum.

I do know one thing though, I'm going to have a look at craola's Top 100 to see what I'm missing.

MozzMozz
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2017 19:14
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Albums that rank highly are no doubt thought to be good by a lot of people, and are good, but it also means that at one point they were successfully marketed to the population by the music machinery that existed at the time, and over the course of time became part of the "canon".

What I'm saying is, it's entirely possible that very good albums are made often, but fail to meet a large audience for a host of reasons that have nothing to do with the merit of the music.. If that's the case, then having a bunch of low ranking albums in your charts might not be an indicator of poor taste, but of looking harder for things that suit YOUR taste.

This.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/02/2017 22:36
  • Post subject:
0 from the top 10; 2 from the top 100; 11 (not including previous 2) in the top 1000