Best Ever Science Fiction and Fantasy Films [Lists]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2017 19:15
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Not sure what kind of impact my input had, but well, it's a list.

Believe me, it made an impact. For example, four Star Wars and four Harry Potters would have made the Fantasy List before you came along. But thanks to you, we got Dreams and Munchausen instead. There are other impacts your lists made I could mention but we get the idea.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2017 19:23
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I would say Arrival, though quite good, has become kind of overrated (IMO).

Michael1981 wrote:
Yeah I was surprised to see Arrival so high amongst accepted classics, but I guess it's a recent film that a lot of people like a lot (including me- I put it in my top 10) Time will tell if it holds up as one of the best films in the genre in years to come.

badseed wrote:
And yeah, Arrival was great and all, but if there should be a film from this decade that high I'd rather it be Ex Machina.

I was also surprised to see Arrival in the Top 10. It's barely a year old and already alongside Back to the Future. I agree it's overrated, but still a solid film. Jeremy Renner's weak under-developed character brought the movie down a little bit. Otherwise it's pretty awesome, enough to make the middle of my personal list. I agree with badseed Ex Machina is far better and should be this era's representative in the Top 10. Hopefully Arrival is merely the flavor of the month while Ex Machina stands the test of time.

AfterHours wrote:
I'm also a little surprised Wizard of Oz wasn't a bit higher. Also, I expected the original Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back to make the top 5.

A fair number of users didn't have Wizard of Oz on their lists, which I assume is because they haven't seen it, which I assume is because it's old. But perhaps that's too many assumptions? Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back each received a ton of points, but were split between Science Fiction and Fantasy. If everyone decided they were one genre, they would have made the Top 10 of one list, but been absent on the other. But since they were split, they made middle appearances on both, which I think is fair.

Michael1981 wrote:
I think the lists are really good. A nice mix of classics, blockbusters and more off-beat things. Applause The only real downside is the hampering of films appearing on both lists (particularly Star Wars), but this couldn't be avoided.

My only gripe is with Mad Max: Fury Road. Tried watching it for the second time yesterday but I was bored out of my mind with the non-stop action and didn't even get to the end of the film Sad

Only the first two Star Wars films appeared on both. City of Lost Children was also very close to making both, but just missed the cut-off on both.

I love the Mad Max movies, but I didn't have any on my personal list because I don't view them as Sci-Fi because there is no science in them. It's dystopian, a different sub-genre. Same as The Lobster, another film set in a dystopian future but no science. The Lobster is also way overrated but made the list.

badseed wrote:
Never really got into the Harry Potter films that much. I read and loved the books in middle school (well, the first four at least, as those were the only ones at the time). As for the movies I liked Prisoner of Azkaban and the Deathly Hallows films alright but after the lackluster first movie they were never highly anticipated by me so I ignored them for years.

Kind of wild to see Terminator 1 so high with T2 nowhere in site. I would imagine on an action movies list the positions would be reversed. There's not really much scientific going on in T2 so I get it.

Yeah there was a little too much Potter for my taste. I like the books but the movies can't hold a candle to them. T2 received quite a few votes. It missed making the Top 50 by only 8 points. But I'm not complaining. The first Terminator is way better and our list reflects that.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2017 22:10
  • Post subject:
Nice work on the collages by the way...

ATTENTION

I was thinking I might be ready to host one now. We should still have a couple months before our obligatory best of 2017 list, so I was thinking of doing another 50-50 list. Short and sweet. Top 50 Actors and Top 50 Actresses. I considered just 100 altogether to be more politically correct these days but let's be honest, the women would get smashed by the men in an overall list. I figure it would be pretty easy to throw together. I mean surely if you're like me you'll end up with way more than 50 favorites. To be honest I'd accept lists of 100 each if everyone else was down. But yeah there wouldn't be much research needed; usually people are pretty settled on favorites so outside of the occasional "this guy was amazing in this but it's the only thing I've seen him in" situation it's not like we need to scope out very many first time watches to help us decide something trivial like Pacino vs De Niro or Chaplin vs Keaton.

So yeah what do you guys think? I'll open it up tomorrow if I get some positive feedback here and likely set the deadline to January 31(?) or something like that.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2017 23:47
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

ATTENTION

I was thinking I might be ready to host one now. We should still have a couple months before our obligatory best of 2017 list, so I was thinking of doing another 50-50 list. Short and sweet. Top 50 Actors and Top 50 Actresses. I considered just 100 altogether to be more politically correct these days but let's be honest, the women would get smashed by the men in an overall list. I figure it would be pretty easy to throw together. I mean surely if you're like me you'll end up with way more than 50 favorites. To be honest I'd accept lists of 100 each if everyone else was down. But yeah there wouldn't be much research needed; usually people are pretty settled on favorites so outside of the occasional "this guy was amazing in this but it's the only thing I've seen him in" situation it's not like we need to scope out very many first time watches to help us decide something trivial like Pacino vs De Niro or Chaplin vs Keaton.

So yeah what do you guys think? I'll open it up tomorrow if I get some positive feedback here and likely set the deadline to January 31(?) or something like that.

Sounds Good!
AwaitingAndrew

United States
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 02:05
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

ATTENTION

I'd be down. My top 25 is regardless of gender but I think I could expand and separate, and definitely see the reasoning to keep them separate.

Also Somewhere Over the Rainbow is phenomenal but otherwise I'm not crazy about Wizard of Oz?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 03:09
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Thanks man. The collages were harder than I thought they would be. I discovered making them all fit without noticeably cropping or stretching the images was practically impossible. Still, I think they look fine. However, I see the picture beneath Pan's Labyrinth got really squished. Oh well. Here's an easy game for you: open the collages in new tabs and see if you can name every film by its image without looking at the list. Not too hard.

AwaitingAndrew wrote:
Also Somewhere Over the Rainbow is phenomenal but otherwise I'm not crazy about Wizard of Oz?
StreetSpirit wrote:
A fair number of users didn't have Wizard of Oz on their lists, which I assume is because they haven't seen it, which I assume is because it's old. But perhaps that's too many assumptions?

So in this case, I made too many assumptions. What don't you like about Wizard of Oz? The only things I have against Wizard of Oz are too many songs, and not seeing it in the last 15+ years, thus maybe it isn't as good as I remembered?

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 12/22/2017 03:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 03:41
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
So in this case, I made too many assumptions. What don't you like about Wizard of Oz? The only things I have against Wizard of Oz are too many songs, and not seeing it in the last 15+ years, thus maybe it isn't as good as I remembered?

You're good. I don't like the Munchkin characters, much of the humor doesn't work for me, and I just don't find the premise all that interesting. I mean I still think it's a decent movie, just not high on my list. Like you, I should probably see it again, but I considered myself a solid fan before I saw it again a few years ago.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 05:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
They're aight lists, but even for BEA they seem a bit conservative. The Seventh Seal at #1 is pretty cool though.

And yeah, BEA loves Arrival apparently (which is cool, I dig it too). I was shocked at how much love it got for our 2016 poll (tied #1 w/ Moonlight). I've only actually seen it once, never got back around to it, but I do plan on reading the short story it's based on at some point.

Anyway, a couple of selections on these that I've never seen, the highest on each list being The Empire Strikes Back (followed by A New Hope) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Might give the later a watch sometime soon.

Honestly, I'm slightly more excited to go through user's individual lists and see what gems they came up with. Should be a bit of fun.

I was thinking of a different C-word to describe it, actually.

But yeah, some individual lists were interesting but the overall is about what I expected given BEA's tendency for its consensus to represent more of the average filmgoer rather than the "filmbrain" or connoisseur. Not really a bad thing, but you know me.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 09:04
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna wait a couple hours for my aunt to wake up so I can borrow her laptop. Gotta have a banner of some sort although they certainly won't be as cool as usual because I'm not very artistically inclined.

Speaking of Ex Machina it was on sale in Best Buy for $5 on Blu-ray. I already own it but I picked up three copies for Christmas to give out to friends and family who appreciate my taste in film. Laughing (also totally unrelated but not worth making a new post, I got the Ultimate Collectors Edition Magazine by Uncut for Tom Waits. I'm a sucker for a good $20 magazine)
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 12/22/2017 16:31
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Hayden wrote:
They're aight lists, but even for BEA they seem a bit conservative.

I was thinking of a different C-word to describe it, actually.

Conventional? Wink
  • Visit poster's website