In Search of WASTED Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2020 04:19
  • Post subject:
I fucking hate it when Gutenberg does that. I faced a similar problem on Gutenberg with Journey to the Center of the Earth. Why can't they just do a little research to find more proper translatins?
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 08/24/2020 04:26
  • Post subject:
Cause Gutenberg is mainly books that have fallen out of copyright and Moncrieff's version is old as hell
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/24/2020 04:33
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
Cause Gutenberg is mainly books that have fallen out of copyright and Moncrieff's version is old as hell

Damn it, I thought about the possibility of international translations being copyrighted, but I didn't think that was actually the case.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2020 23:03
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Oh, come on, people. Now you're not even explaining why it's such a "bad take." You're only posting to insult someone which is pretty sad. Honestly, if you're not going to actually argue the point, then there's nothing to take seriously about your criticisms.

So happy you said this... my biggest beef with BEA regulars has always been this - it's really easy to shit on someone and run away. There's a lot of intelligent people on here who prefer to shit on someone and run away, and I wish they had the spine to say something more.
  • Visit poster's website
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 09/14/2020 16:02
  • Post subject:
Sometimes it's more fun though to shitpost and walk away than write a nuanced critique of why dismissing Kozelek's accuser (just a random example of my time back here) so flippantly is actually kind of heinous. That is exhausting and I already do enough critical thinking for work and the JSTOR free article cap I'm plowing through monthly.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2020 16:25
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
Sometimes it's more fun though to shitpost and walk away than write a nuanced critique of why dismissing Kozelek's accuser (just a random example of my time back here) so flippantly is actually kind of heinous. That is exhausting and I already do enough critical thinking for work and the JSTOR free article cap I'm plowing through monthly.

Right, except that you already know that I didn't "dismiss" the accuser and said that I'm open to both possibilities, which means your shitposting is also based in either misconception, dishonesty or little regard for the other person involved.
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 09/14/2020 16:44
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Right, except that you already know that I didn't "dismiss" the accuser and said that I'm open to both possibilities, which means your shitposting is also based in either misconception, dishonesty or little regard for the other person involved.

Quote:
Besides, for all we know, this lady might've had sex with him and then would have wanted to get noticed or she was mad at him for some shit.

That's the kind of flippantly dismissive line that I was specifically referring too. It's a very strawmanny and bad faith take of a very likely real and complex situation. I don't have little regard for you but it is hard to read without feeling hurt by the lack of empathy.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2020 17:14
  • Post subject:
One of my firm beliefs about people can be compared to a legal term, and on a parallel level: innocent until proven guilty. I don't believe in either possibility until the truth comes out. Besides, it's not like either Mark or that woman are reading this. That's the bad thing about instantly picking a side: when the truth ends up being what you don't believe, you might still not believe it or you might not want to believe it. And I already said that I went through a similar personal experience with an ex-girlfriend so I don't think I warrant any blame for my refusal to pick a side. I may not be a judge in the court, but the experienced judge doesn't typically pick a side. First, he listens to both stories.

Just because it's not my place to judge them in a court doesn't mean I automatically have to take someone's side because it's "the nice thing to do." What if it's not the right thing to do? If there is undeniable proof that she's telling the truth (and not just small things that make it seem more reasonable), I'll take her side without question. What Mark is accused of is unquestionably wrong, but we can still question whether or not he did it. I ain't blaming anyone for anything yet, but I will raise other possibilities.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/14/2020 17:19
  • Post subject:
http://www.open.ac.uk/research/news/fal...l-violence

Wild that we still have to clarify this shit in 2020.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/14/2020 18:08
  • Post subject:
I apologize if this sounds cruel, but the statistic concerning 1 out of every 4-5 women in the EU being sexually harrassed seems unrealistic. That's practically a Sodom and Gomorrah situation.