Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2020 04:52
  • Post subject:
oh also, for those that care about constructs:

If nobody invented the nicely constructed "grunge" box, would you think Nirvana would be just labeled noise/punk/post-hardcore?

Pearl Jam hard rock and maybe even like a neo-classic rock?
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 09/07/2020 11:49
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:

If nobody invented the nicely constructed "grunge" box, would you think Nirvana would be just labeled noise/punk/post-hardcore?

Disenchanted classic rock ?
American punk ?
I feel that the Grunge term had to be
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/07/2020 15:12
  • Post subject:
This has long been my favourite Nirvana album. I'm not as in love with it as I used to be, but the mix of Sabbath-esque riffs, grotty punk energy, and catchy hooks dotted throughout mean it's the only one I ever really return to, frankly (and, even then, it's not a regular occurence). That said, I think they were a really great band who did some really great stuff, so there's that.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2020 16:50
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
This has long been my favourite Nirvana album. I'm not as in love with it as I used to be, but the mix of Sabbath-esque riffs, grotty punk energy, and catchy hooks dotted throughout mean it's the only one I ever really return to, frankly (and, even then, it's not a regular occurence). That said, I think they were a really great band who did some really great stuff, so there's that.

Their live album Live and Loud is fucking incredible. You should check it out. It's not as Sabbathy as I'd like but it's easily the best live Nirvana album (outside the acoustic MTV Unplugged).
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2020 00:36
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:

Disenchanted classic rock ?
American punk ?
I feel that the Grunge term had to be

Maybe. I'm no genre expert, but grunge has probably more to do with Seattle than the way it sounds. So asking the question in a different way, I wonder if all these bands came from different places, would a more generic term be applied to them? If Pearl Jam was from North Carolina, Nirvana was from LA, and Alice and Chains from NYC... would we still call them grunge based on what they sound like?

Like when I was a little more ignorant (not much less these days anyway... Laughing ), I thought Smashing Pumpkins belonged in that grunge category because their sound and say Pearl Jam's sound really weren't that much different. Enter the grunge purists and they'd probably say no your wrong because distortion was invented in a reality distortion field by The Who and Jimi Hendrix and your mom and a blues guy in the 30s, so logically they can't be anything alike. Grunge is nothing like punk or hard rock or... anyway. Rawr.

But yes, I guess it was a unique time kinda. That's just it - it was and yet it wasn't. Anyway, random thoughts by boring old Seth.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/08/2020 00:42
  • Post subject:
There were bands like PAW who were from Kansas as well. Grunge started as a seattle garage-y punk-metal sound but the term eventually grew to mean a certain style/sound of alternative rock by 1992. Also, Pearl Jam was created from the bones of Mother Love Bone when MLB's vocalist, Andrew Wood, died during the production of their debut album.

I find grunge started out as more of a colloquialism or scene (of working class, grungy, alt rock/punk rock types) than a genre.

"Grunge is nothing like punk or hard rock or... anyway. Rawr."

Hard Rock was different in the late 80s than it was in the early 70s and it was changing. But if you listen to early trailblazing grunge acts the punk element is there, yes.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Some bands were just a bit more punk than others.

Last edited by mickilennial on 09/08/2020 00:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2020 00:48
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
There were bands like PAW who were from Kansas as well. Grunge started as a seattle garage-y punk-metal sound but the term eventually grew to mean a certain style/sound of alternative rock by 1992. Also, Pearl Jam was created from the bones of Mother Love Bone when MLB's vocalist, Andrew Wood, died during the production of their debut album.

I find grunge started out as more of a colloquialism or scene (of working class, grungy, alt rock/punk rock types) than a genre.

Thanks Gowi. This makes way more sense to me to look at it as you suggest instead of a rigid genre. The always right guy on the internet usually likes to say it's a Seattle thing, so that's helpful to understand that it wasn't necessarily - it's more complex than that.

Why then do you feel like Smashing Pumpkins aren't allowed to wear this on their sleeve, especially for their first two records? It seems to fit the definition you give pretty good imo.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/08/2020 00:51
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Gowi wrote:

Thanks Gowi. This makes way more sense to me to look at it as you suggest instead of a rigid genre. The always right guy on the internet usually likes to say it's a Seattle thing, so that's helpful to understand that it wasn't necessarily - it's more complex than that.

Why then do you feel like Smashing Pumpkins aren't allowed to wear this on their sleeve, especially for their first two records? It seems to fit the definition you give pretty good imo.

Smashing Pumpkins formed in 1988 and Corgan was on record that there was no punk or grunge influences on his music. It was adjacent to it at times, taking influenced from stuff like Bauhaus, Slowdive, My Blood Valentine, and Husker Du. The only thing grunge and Billy Corgan's songwriting had in common was musical density, alt rock distortion, and angst-based lyrics.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/08/2020 00:53
  • Post subject:
There's a subtle but notable difference the approaches of grunge and Smashing Pumpkins.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2020 01:42
  • Post subject:
I can't call Smashing Pumpkins a grunge band. Based on what Goei said there isn't enough dominance of the elements of grunge present in their catalog. They have way too many forms of alternative scattered and/or molded into each other to be labeled anything other than alternative. Dream pop, shoegaze, grunge, etc. They remind me of the classification of War and Peace. Some people say the genre was hard to define, but I immediately defined the novel with the same method that I define SP. All of the main characters are going through a sort of drama with each of their own plotlines. Andrei: political drama. Pierre: docial/family drama. Natasha: romance and the drama involved. Petya: War and the drama involved. And considering that this was all happening through a 13-year sect of the French Revolution, it's a historical drama. I honestly hated reading that the genre was "hard to define by some scholars." Just call it a drama.

I get at this because SP albums, the best example being Mellon Collie, are the same way. They use elements of various alternative subgenres and other styles that often tie into it like pop rock and hard rock. Fuck, the Rateyourmusic page has alternative metal listed as a secondary. But in the end, it's still alternative.