Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 12/03/2011 02:26
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
Hayden wrote:
This is album has a "Kid A" effect to it. You have to listen to it a couple dozen times before you'll like it.

Except, it's a bit blander Confused

Madame George is a good song that I enjoy, but I can do without the rest Neutral

That's nonsense

This is straight away incredible

I agree with Le_Samurai

Maybe I just don't like it Neutral

I always hear such good things about this one too Sad . Maybe one day.

Maybe try listening to it when you are really miserable, it's one of those albums
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/03/2011 02:27
  • Post subject:
I'm with Hayden. This album just never did anything for me.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 12/03/2011 02:30
  • Post subject:
This album changed the way I think of music. You guys are picky.
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 12/03/2011 03:41
  • Post subject:
This is some weird album. The first time I heard it I thought it was kind of boring but still I knew that it had something incredible. I gave it a few more listens and god this thing is magic, I think is one of those albums that are only for certain moods or you'll never understand it.
By the other hand "The Way Young Lovers Do" is my top favorite song and it was the only song that striked me from the very first time, I really can't understand why other people don't love it, it's amazing.
  • Visit poster's website
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 12/03/2011 03:41
  • Post subject:
This is some weird album. The first time I heard it I thought it was kind of boring but still I knew that it had something incredible. I gave it a few more listens and god this thing is magic, I think is one of those albums that are only for certain moods or you'll never understand it.
By the other hand "The Way Young Lovers Do" is my top favorite song and it was the only song that striked me from the very first time, I really can't understand why other people don't love it, it's amazing.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/03/2011 14:22
  • Post subject:
nrs182 wrote:

This combines what I said about Kid A, with what Pam said about 'moods' Smile

Maybe we're both right! Very Happy
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/03/2011 14:43
  • Post subject:
This album, alongside Trout Mask and Velvet Underground and Nico, had an incredible impact on me like nothing else before or since after I first heard them. This album is a masterpiece of life-changing proportions. It's stream of consiousness and 'Joyce-ian' poetic style is something similar to Joanna Newsom's 'Y' in the contemporary sense.

But Astral Weeks bleeds more emotion and beauty than Newsom's classic. If as a music enthusiast you are unfortunate enough to go through life not having heard this, you would be a lesser human being for having done so. This album is literally one of the artistic milestones of the 20th century.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/03/2011 14:56
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
This album, alongside Trout Mask and Velvet Underground and Nico, had an incredible impact on me like nothing else before or since after I first heard them. This album is a masterpiece of life-changing proportions. It's stream of consiousness and 'Joyce-ian' poetic style is something similar to Joanna Newsom's 'Y' in the contemporary sense.

But Astral Weeks bleeds more emotion and beauty than Newsom's classic. If as a music enthusiast you are unfortunate enough to go through life not having heard this, you would be a lesser human being for having done so. This album is literally one of the artistic milestones of the 20th century.

So what did it do to your life? In what way did it impact on you?
purple

• Posted: 12/03/2011 16:11
  • Post subject:
great love songs about loneliness.

I would argue that Newsom's 'Only Skin' (at least) is more emotionally loaded and better written than anything on Astral Weeks though
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2011 01:31
  • Post subject:
Listening to this album for the first time is like going to see some major tourist attraction like The Grand Canyon or the first date with the love of your life. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I first heard it. I was skipping class and hanging at the coffee shop near the community college I was attending at the time. I was at the bar drinking coffee and eating a toasted bagel with cream cheese and jam. The barista was playing Astral Weeks on the stereo. About half way through the first or second track I went into kind of a state of reverie, absolutely lost in the music, and I thought, "Oh my God! What is this? This is amazing!" I had never heard anything quite like it before and come to think of it , haven't heard anything quite like it since. Astral Weeks is a truly special album. Applause
  • Visit poster's website