The Biggest Sell-Outs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/07/2011 17:35
  • Post subject:
I wouldn't count a band as a sell out unless they straight up change their sound to make a buck. If a band just gets popular without them doing anything than that just means everyone else is catching up to them.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 12/07/2011 17:44
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
I wouldn't count a band as a sell out unless they straight up change their sound to make a buck. If a band just gets popular without them doing anything than that just means everyone else is catching up to them.

Back in 2007 and 2008 on the last fm shoutboxes they always used to call bands out for getting popular. It gets tedious after a while. I could make a list of artists which sold out but then I would be lieing as I don't throw the term around
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 12/07/2011 19:06
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2011 12:49
  • Post subject:
nrs182 wrote:
I don't like that expression. It's overused. So damn overused. But everyone knows the Black Eyed Peas sold out big time.
There's going to be comments about Metallica, Linkin Park maybe Muse or Coldplay and other i cant recall right now. They didn't sold out, why would you change to another style if you were making good money with the first style? They might changed, maybe to wrong, but they did it because they felt in a different position in life and they couldnt keep on going with the same thing. Music is made by humans, the persons evolve and change and so do their music. There are actually a few band that have sold out, you know, for money. That my opinion at least.

Agree. The only way an artist or band can sell out is to compromise themselves and do something they wouldn't do otherwise if the huge pay raise wasn't motivating them. It's my belief that fans can speculate (and only speculate) , but only the artist and band knows for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2011 14:31
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

It's my belief that fans can speculate (and only speculate) , but only the artist and band knows for sure.

Couldn't agree more. I remember when U2 went from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, and thought they had sold out because they changed their sound completely. Only they would know, and from what I know about the album, I don't think they did. But, I could see why someone would say that.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/02/2012 22:29
  • Post subject:
What if an artist intentionally sets out to sell as many albums as possible? Think Would that act itself be selling out or playing/singing something they are not while doing be selling out?
Happy

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2012 22:39
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
What if an artist intentionally sets out to sell as many albums as possible? Think Would that act itself be selling out or playing/singing something they are not while doing be selling out?

I'm not sure. From what I heard, most bands make money off of merchandise, while the money from albums mainly goes to production costs and the record company.

With that said, I guess a band sells out when a band tries to slap their name onto as much merchandise as possible. By this definition, Kiss would be one of the biggest sell-outs because of all the merchandise they have (they even sell Kiss coffins!).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/02/2012 22:42
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Link

This video is just gross.
vesander

• Posted: 02/02/2012 22:42
  • Post subject:
U2
  • Visit poster's website
vesander