Anyone else think the White Album is overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 12:03
  • Post subject:

Well, I have the White album at #4 on my chart so, in a word,

NO

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 12:10
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
monosyllables wrote:

Also, critical reception aside, I think it's funny that, while this album HAS gotten a lot of good press lately, it was literally the ONLY Beatles record that didn't feature a SINGLE #1 hit.

Even "Back In The USSR"?

No. In fact, on the album "1", which compiles all of their #1 hits, there's not a single song from Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, OR The Beatles.

That's three records that didn't feature a single #1 hit.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 12:13
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Well, I have the White album at #4 on my chart so, in a word,

NO

We have had our differences, Brother Gary, but you have said the true word tonight!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 12:15
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
monosyllables wrote:

Also, critical reception aside, I think it's funny that, while this album HAS gotten a lot of good press lately, it was literally the ONLY Beatles record that didn't feature a SINGLE #1 hit.

Even "Back In The USSR"?

No. In fact, on the album "1", which compiles all of their #1 hits, there's not a single song from Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, OR The Beatles.

No wonder I love em so much Laughing

These artists didn't have a #1 hit at all

(1)Led Zeppelin
(2)The Who
(3)CCR
(4)Kinks (not in U.S.)
(5)Black Sabbath
(6)Judas Priest
(7)Alan Parsons Project
(8)Dio
(9)Megadeth
(10)Greatful Dead
(11)The Cult
(12)Garbage
(13)Supertramp
(14)The Fixx

• Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 12:20
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:
monosyllables wrote:

Even "Back In The USSR"?

No wonder I love em so much Laughing

These artists didn't have a #1 hit at all

(1)Led Zeppelin
(2)The Who
(3)CCR
(4)Kinks (not in U.S.)
(5)Black Sabbath
(6)Judas Priest
(7)Alan Parsons Project
(8)Dio
(9)Megadeth
(10)Greatful Dead
(11)The Cult
(12)Garbage
(13)Supertramp
(14)The Fixx

Wow! That's a LOT of great artist with no #1 hits!

And same, I love those records, along with Revolver (in which the only #1s were Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine, and they are NOT my fave songs on it!)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 13:46
  • Post subject:
I think it's over-rated for our charts at #6, but in general, critics usually place it in the #10-15 range.

I understand why people like it, and it's a good album (80/100), but it's certainly not the Beatles (even 3rd) best.

There is a bit of filler, but that's expected with a 90 minute album. Some great songs in the mix though. Smile
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 12/24/2011 22:59
  • Post subject:
To me it's not overrated at all and I think it's the Beatles' ultimate masterpiece. The fact that the genres vary so much, from the goofy songs like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da or Pigies and the avantgarde of Revolution 9, from the ballads like Long, Long, Long or Julia to the heavier Helter Skelter, mean that the album covers just about everything The Beatles created in their career.

In the words of fellow member dazatoth (on his chart):
Quote:
I can’t imagine a better name for this album than "The Beatles", it covers their entire creation, from classic rock songs like Back in the USSR, to musical experimentation in Revolution 9.

Exactly right. Not all songs are that great, but the album would not be complete without them. That includes Revolution 9. In fact, whenever I listen to the album or parts of the album, I just need to get to that song, cause it just doesn't feel the same without it...

Quote:
I feel like I'm listening either to a mixed tape of 30 bands

I feel like I'm listening to The Beatles in each of their "incarnations" (so to speak). On one album, tied together perfectly and ending with the most logical conclusion, the avantgarde mindfuck of Revolution 9 + the calm Good Night, as the complete contrast.

Favourite songs: Long, Long, Long (anybody else a fan?), Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, ...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Posted: 12/25/2011 02:09
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
To me it's not overrated at all and I think it's the Beatles' ultimate masterpiece. The fact that the genres vary so much, from the goofy songs like Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da or Pigies and the avantgarde of Revolution 9, from the ballads like Long, Long, Long or Julia to the heavier Helter Skelter, mean that the album covers just about everything The Beatles created in their career.

In the words of fellow member dazatoth (on his chart):
Quote:
I can’t imagine a better name for this album than "The Beatles", it covers their entire creation, from classic rock songs like Back in the USSR, to musical experimentation in Revolution 9.

Exactly right. Not all songs are that great, but the album would not be complete without them. That includes Revolution 9. In fact, whenever I listen to the album or parts of the album, I just need to get to that song, cause it just doesn't feel the same without it...

Quote:
I feel like I'm listening either to a mixed tape of 30 bands

I feel like I'm listening to The Beatles in each of their "incarnations" (so to speak). On one album, tied together perfectly and ending with the most logical conclusion, the avantgarde mindfuck of Revolution 9 + the calm Good Night, as the complete contrast.

Favourite songs: Long, Long, Long (anybody else a fan?), Happiness is a Warm Gun, Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, ...

Yes, Long, Long, Long is one of my favorites, too. My main problem with this album is that I can't really enjoy listening to it. I can certainly see the appeal of how it "sums up The Beatles" in a sense, and that makes it great in its own right, but I guess I just like to judge my albums based almost entirely on how enjoyable they are to listen to, even if I can recognize that they're great for other reasons.
Charicature

United States
  • Posted: 12/25/2011 03:20
  • Post subject:
I agree it's overrated. It's one of those albums where it seems for every great song on it there's a silly and not very good song on it. Now, granted I like Ob-la-di Ob-la-da, but it's a ridiculous song with little merit. Bungalow Bill is not great music. Revolution #9 is an annoyance. But it's also got Savoy Truffle, Long,Long,Long, I Will, Blackbird, Happiness Is a Warm Gun...well, lots of great music on it. But definitely there's songs that drag it down badly and make me say it doesn't deserve the accolades it receives, plus there's no real coherence to the album in terms of sound or theme. It's a mediocre double-album with a lot of great individual songs, that's all.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 12/25/2011 05:23
  • Post subject:
IMO the White album is

UNDERRATED

It has as much or more variety and range of any album ever made Not talking

Happy and fun songs on the White album
Birthday
Ob-La-Di,Ob-La-Da
Back In The U.S.S.R.(also political)

Sad songs
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Yer Blues (a 12 bar blues song about suicide)
Cry Baby Cry
I'm So Tired

Love songs
I Will
Don't Pass Me By
Julia (Lennon song about his Mother)

Acoustical guitar and soft vocals
Blackbird (song about civil rights)
Mother Nature's Son (folk song)
Long Long Long (theological song)

Rocking songs
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey (one of the numerous Beatles songs with multiple entendres.One of which eludes to Lennon's heroin use at the time)
Helter Skelter (one of music's original heavy metal songs and ostensively Charles Manson's favorite song)

Psychedelic songs
Glass Onion
Savoy Truffle
Dear Prudence
Revolution 1 (political)

Others
Sexy Sadie (Thom Yorke has admitted that Karma Police is kind of a rip off of this song)
The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
Martha My Dear
Good Night (a lullaby written by Lennon and sang by Starr.The instruments on this song include 12 violins,3 violas,3 cellos,3flutes,a harp,clarinet,horn,vibraphone and string bass)
Honey Pie (1930's dance hall type song)
Piggies (chamber music sounding political song)
Rockey Raccoon (country ragtime type song)
Why Don't We Do It In The Road (social commentary about sex)
Revolution 9 (truthfully I have no fucking idea what the Hell this,whatever it is,may be)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun (a song about violence,religion and sexuality that's part rock and part psychedelic full of complexity and this song just plain kicks ass)

• Visit poster's website