Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2011 13:33
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:
I feel that compilations shouldn't be considered as albums. Otherwise all our charts would be a list of the greatest hits CD's from our favorite bands. Rolling Stone even revised their top 500 to remove the compilations.

Are you saying compilations are better than studio albums and therefore should be disqualified to allow inferior albums to rank?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 12/29/2011 13:36
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
gtroda wrote:
I feel that compilations shouldn't be considered as albums. Otherwise all our charts would be a list of the greatest hits CD's from our favorite bands. Rolling Stone even revised their top 500 to remove the compilations.

Are you saying compilations are better than studio albums and therefore should be disqualified to allow inferior albums to rank?

I'm saying that compilations are not in the spirit of what an album should be. Albums are an artistic statement created together in a time an place by an artist. Compilations are for marketing and an easy way to buy all the hits without having to spend the money to buy all the albums. Or a way to get introduced to a new artist.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2011 13:41
  • Post subject:
But if a compilation album is better than individual studio albums why shouldn't it be ranked? Why should one be forced to listen to all the filler?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 12/29/2011 13:53
  • Post subject:
If you feel forced to listen to it then I would hazard it wouldn't be ranked on your chart...
Kiki

• Posted: 12/29/2011 14:01
  • Post subject:
Compilation albums are studio albums without the magic. They are like selection boxes if they were filled with singles
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2011 14:26
  • Post subject:
Show me a Marley ablum that is better than Legend. It's magic without the filler.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:12
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Show me a Marley ablum that is better than Legend. It's magic without the filler.

Time magazine didn't name Exodus the greatest album of the 20th century for nothing. Greatest hits albums take a lot of the context away from the tracks, they are generally attempting to collect all of the most commercially appealing tracks. So I suppose if all you're interested in are radio friendly tracks and none of the either more aggressive, abrasive, sometimes darker, forward thinking tracks that you call "filler" than greatest hits collections would be perfect for you. I personally wouldn't consider Natural Mystic, So Much Things to Say, Guiltiness, and The Heathen (the only tracks on Exodus that don't appear on Legend) to be filler, but rather offer balance to the album as a whole.

Also I prefer Natty Dread, Catch a Fire, and Burnin to Legend, but those feature even more "filler" so I won't even try to justify
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:28
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
RFNAPLES wrote:

Time magazine didn't name Exodus the greatest album of the 20th century for nothing. Greatest hits albums take a lot of the context away from the tracks, they are generally attempting to collect all of the most commercially appealing tracks. So I suppose if all you're interested in are radio friendly tracks and none of the either more aggressive, abrasive, sometimes darker, forward thinking tracks that you call "filler" than greatest hits collections would be perfect for you. I personally wouldn't consider Natural Mystic, So Much Things to Say, Guiltiness, and The Heathen (the only tracks on Exodus that don't appear on Legend) to be filler, but rather offer balance to the album as a whole.

Also I prefer Natty Dread, Catch a Fire, and Burnin to Legend, but those feature even more "filler" so I won't even try to justify

Applause

Exodus is one of my fave albums, and it's on my chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:29
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:

Albums are an artistic statement created together in a time an place by an artist.

That's totally wrong historically. Albums were created to fulfil the business goals you define. They didn't get any "artistic statement" before the mid-sixties. Before, they were a collection of hits put together for commercial purposes. Historically, the album was intended as a compilation (except for some jazz releases), at a time when the major music vehicle was the single.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:33
  • Post subject:
We should make a compilations of our favourite Naples posts, so we don't have to go through all the filler. Wink