Tattoos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
OK Microwave

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2012 10:21
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Tattoos are pretty cool, I'm considering getting a couple myself.

I think band tattoos are reeeeeally fucking stupid. If I see someone with a band tattoo, even if it's a band I like, like, say for example, a tattoo of the cover of ITAOTS, I'd think it was pretty lame. To me it's like seeing someone with a fucking McDonald's tattoo. It makes you worse than those guys who get paid to tattoo ads all over their body - at least they get PAID to do it, you're doing it out of your own freewill. It makes you a human billboard - those tattoos aren't self-expression, they're brand-recognition.

I think that if you're going to get a tattoo, make it something you come up with yourself rather than some "cool design" you saw or, even worse, a band-related tattoo.

I can understand the line of thinking here, though I don't really take it quite that far. I always wonder why people wear shirts and shoes with giant logos on them, essentially paying to be large billboards for companies. And those aren't permanent, of course, so tattoos are far beyond that. Where we differ, I think, is judging it all so harshly. I've seen tons of tattoos I didn't like at all and would never consider getting, but I wouldn't think it's stupid or lame for people to get something that makes them happy. I would, however, think it's pretty lame if someone really wanted a tattoo (even a McDonald's tattoo Razz) and decided against it because they're worried about what someone else would think of it.

My tattoos aren't about expressing myself to others. I got mine because I love those things and like being reminded of them all the time. It's great art and I like seeing it every day. People ask me all the time why I got them on my forearms and not on my upper arms, legs, or somewhere else. I got them there so I could enjoy them every day. They're for me.

I think coming up with something yourself is definitely the way to go for some (most?) people, but not me. I could doodle around and come up with something that both looks great and means something to me, but I just wouldn't have that connection I have with NMH, SP, and Hedwig. And if someday I do come up with something that means as much to me as those things do, there's still room. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
OK Microwave

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2012 10:33
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I know a kid who got Blink 182 tatted on his arm, he swears he still likes them and doesn't regret it but I reckon he only still listens to Blink 182 to convince himself he hasn't made a mistake.

If you're gonna get a band tattoo make sure you're at least 18 and it's a band you've loved for at least 5 or so years. Nothing against the idea though, if a band means that much to you then that's cool.

I agree with making sure you love something for years before you get it tattooed on you. But, even if you do change your mind about the band or whatever it is, at least it still says something about that time of your life.

To help prevent regretting a decision later, I'm one of those people who thinks you should print out the design you want to get tattooed and put it up in several places you're going to see every single day. If you get tired of seeing it so much, you definitely shouldn't get it tattooed. I did that for about a year with each of mine.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 05/24/2012 13:43
  • Post subject:
I have a Stone Temple Pilots tattoo on the back of my nutsack... something about vasoline
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 06/05/2012 03:28
  • Post subject:
The only tattoo I have is a rose that my grandmother (whose name is Rose) and I both got on her 80th birthday. I've been thinking about getting a boognish tat for years, now that ween has broken up kind of makes me want it even more. I was thinking of combining the rose with boognish in some way and doing a roses are free thing but not sure if I want to defile the rose.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 06/05/2012 06:06
  • Post subject:
I'm unlikely to ever get a tattoo, but if I did, these come to mind:

I prefer minimalist or abstract tattoos. Larger images look jarring to me unless they're very carefully considered against the contours of the person's body. Just because something looks good on paper doesn't mean it will look good on a curved three-dimensional surface.
  • Visit poster's website
ptaylor1989

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2013 01:51
  • Post subject:
I felt compelled to bump this thread. I'm curious what you wonderful people think about this tattoo/artist. I think the matrix of dots makes for an amazing design. If I could, I'd get sleeves like this http://cigarettesandsilhouettes.tumblr....eno-tubaro

Do you like my second favorite artist? http://www.amandawachob.com/portfolio/
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/30/2013 02:35
  • Post subject:
ptaylor1989 wrote:
I felt compelled to bump this thread. I'm curious what you wonderful people think about this tattoo/artist. I think the matrix of dots makes for an amazing design. If I could, I'd get sleeves like this http://cigarettesandsilhouettes.tumblr....eno-tubaro

Holy shit, is that just straight-up stripling?

Over the next few months I'm getting some personal ink: a feather behind my left ear to match the one my sister got (as a native heritage/sibling unity thing), an ouroboros on the lateral side of my right ankle (in commemoration of my move out West) and an anchor on my left forearm after I complete basic training for the navy.

Eventually I plan to get a stag on the lateral side of my left ankle and a king fisher on the medial side; a moon and koi fish on my left arm, a sun and a dragon on my right (in reference to the old parable of the koi that swam up the current of the yellow river and became a dragon); my favourite inspirational Hemingway quote on my right side; a Yeoman on my left asscheek (mirroring my dad's tattoo) and if I get married I plan to have my significant other's name tattooed around my ring finger. Of course, those tattoos I'm all saving to commemorate specific occasions and milestones in my life.

I'm thinking of also breaking my own rule and getting the Mellon Collie girl in her star tattooed on my left pectoral, but I'd have to redesign it myself to justify inking it on my body.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 01/30/2013 02:40
  • Post subject:
I still think this is entirely awesome.

But I'm giving the idea a 5-year probation period.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 01/30/2013 02:43
  • Post subject:
An amber-colored unicorn spearing a cheetah. That will be on my left arm someday.
sheep21

Australia

• Posted: 01/30/2013 03:07
  • Post subject: