Downloading out of print albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 06/14/2012 17:54
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I don't think you could find a good black/death metal band that didn't do numerous illegal things. The black and death metal history of the 90s is actually fascinating stuff.

yeah, so I have learned. My problem isn't listening to it, its the question of do these people deserve my money or does their own sometimes real "evilness" somehow negate something like not paying for an album?
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2012 17:58
  • Post subject:
imo, the two main issues are:

01) morality
02) legality

I'm not sure what the legal precedent is for downloading a copy of an album because it's not for sale, hasn't been for sale in a while, and isn't for sale in the foreseeable future. The main reason the RIAA went after people was they were trying to protect sales ($$!) of their artist catalog. I expect this is technically illegal; however, i don't think anyone will notice as it's out of print..

When it comes to morality, how about this answer (if feasible) ? Download the album and then find the artist's website and contact them saying you want to donate $ to them. You don't even have to tell them why, but you can elaborate that you want to support them because you like their music and hope that your $ will go toward reprinting the CD/mp3-online in the future .

(P.S. The RIAA would hate that idea. They say they're trying to protect their artists, but their artists rarely see any money from album sales. Of course, I'm talking about the RIAA -- i'm not sure if that applies in the case of the artist you're interested in.)
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 06/14/2012 18:00
  • Post subject:
I download all my music illegally,apart from my favorite bands,I'll usually download these straight from i-Tunes.Before I discovered the marvels of the internet I did have a collection of 100 or so CDs.I try to spend my money that I save on CD's and legal downloads on going to see bands and attending festivals.I think artists would prefer it that way,I'm sure they make a lot more money from someone going to one of their gig's than someone buying their CD.I have also started collecting Vinyl which is usually from second hand record stores,so the band doesn't make money from that either.Is your reluctance because of the fact the band itself won't benefit from the download or because it's illegal?
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/14/2012 18:28
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I couldn't possibly comment on neo-Nazi black metal (it's not my thing), but I regularly help to line-up the pockets of serial homophobes and misogynists. I try not to think about it and just enjoy the music.

Yeah sometimes the racism, sexism and homophobia can be hard to stomach in hip hop, just can't help myself though.

Racism in hip hop:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...p;start=30

As for downloading, well I do it all illegally and I don't feel bad about it at all, is that wrong?
dp39

• Posted: 06/14/2012 18:45
  • Post subject:
I listen to a ton of old school rare rap CD's that have gone out of print. Hypothetically, if I were to download music... I would download all of the out of print albums you can get. Forget morals, do you want to pay $200 for an album that might blow, or get it for free?
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/14/2012 19:00
  • Post subject:
I think music should be shared freely and without restriction. Bands can make their money through live performances.

But I am thinking about getting hard copies of the music albums I become more attached to over time, just for the sake of a physical collection. Digital collections aren't as satisfying for me.

• Posted: 06/14/2012 19:09
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I think music should be shared freely and without restriction. Bands can make their money through live performances.

Whilst I agree with this in principle, what about artists like Daniel Johnston and Green Gartside from Scritti Politti who suffer from severe stagefright? I know there are exceptions to everything, and I am to a certain extent just playing devil's advocate, but how do you suggest they make a living (not those two in particular, just people with this problem in general)?
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2012 21:40
  • Post subject:
There are a few albums that have eluded me over the years. If I find them, I will buy them so that I can finally have them in hand. Victory will be mine.

Of course, I could download them. But that would be, to me, kind of like really wanting a hot girl and then seeing that she did a nude spread. I could download those pictures and have them for whatever fantasies I wanted to play out alone...but in the morning, I still havent met her, and I still haven't physically had her. I've cheated myself.

I'll wait until I can find and buy the physical album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kramerfan86

United States

• Posted: 06/14/2012 21:43
  • Post subject:
Personally I dont see any problem from a moral standpoint with downloading out of print material. the industry at that point has put you in a position where there is no other way to get the material. I also dont have a problem with downloading things which for whatever reason arent in print in a particular country and therefore are impossible to get at a remotely reasonable price. To me if you are openly saying "we really have no interest in you as a potential customer" then you have lost any moral right to lecture me on the download. Im sure the law is on their side, but I highly doubt the RIAA is looking for "pirates" of material they arent even trying to sell. I very very very rarely download anymore though thanks to spotify.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/14/2012 22:14
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Whilst I agree with this in principle, what about artists like Daniel Johnston and Green Gartside from Scritti Politti who suffer from severe stagefright? I know there are exceptions to everything, and I am to a certain extent just playing devil's advocate, but how do you suggest they make a living (not those two in particular, just people with this problem in general)?

I'd tell them to cope, but I get what you are saying. Well, you might watch television shows without paying for the specific show. How do they make their money before hard copies and priced downloads are made? Maybe bands could have a similar method. Make a webpage with a free and easy download on it, but when you type and enter the address an entire minute-long commercial is played before fully entering. I'm not a business major so I don't know how effective it would be, but I hope you get what I'm saying.