lethalnezzle wrote:
Kanye.

This.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:10
  • Post subject:
Really? I think Kanyes lyrics range from pretty good to so bad they're awesome.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:12
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Kanye.

I dunno. His lyrics aren't technically great but I enjoy how it's so different to some other rap out there. His lyrics feel much more philosophical and political than just rapping about bangin' hoes and how many cars he can afford. Heck, he even insults himself sometimes, which for Kanye is particularly refreshing.
I love the song "Gorgeous" by him for the lyrics.

But to add to the list I'll have to say Queen because it's mostly just nonsense just thrown together that doesn't even feel like it could mean anything, and Oasis because he seems to repeat the same shallow lines over and over again. Great music though.

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:14
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:
I dunno. His lyrics aren't technically great but I enjoy how it's so different to some other rap out there. His lyrics feel much more philosophical and political than just rapping about bangin' hoes and how many cars he can afford. Heck, he even insults himself sometimes, which for Kanye is particularly refreshing.
I love the song "Gorgeous" by him for the lyrics.

But to add to the list I'll have to say Queen because it's mostly just nonsense just thrown together that doesn't even feel like it could mean anything, and Oasis because he seems to repeat the same shallow lines over and over again. Great music though.

Glad to see we've finally wiped out these stereotypes about hip-hop...
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:16
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Glad to see we've finally wiped out these stereotypes about hip-hop...

I've only really dipped my toes into Hip-Hop, but whenever I hear popular rap artists on the radio the lyrics are rarely far off.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:17
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:
I've only really dipped my toes into Hip-Hop, but whenever I hear popular rap artists on the radio the lyrics are rarely far off.

There's your problem.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:18
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat wrote:

Well if you don't understand it, stop criticising. Seriously, nothing pisses me off more than people who know nothing about hip-hop moaning about "it's all just 'bling' this and 'hoes' that".
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:20
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
There's your problem.

Probably - I don't know much alternative hip hop, but since Kanye West is also a major popular modern artist it's hard not to compare him to his peers - whenever he comes on it seems to stick out like a sore thumb, both musically and lyrically.
thejoj96

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:25
  • Post subject:
CalamityCat: listen to the following:
Illmatic
Liquid Swords
The Low End Theory
36 Chambers
Madvillainy
Midnight Marauders
Go to RYM's chart and customize it for just hip hop albums for other suggestions. (Ignore Endtroducing though, while a great album, it isn't hip hop.)
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/19/2012 19:36
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
CalamityCat: listen to the following:
Illmatic
Liquid Swords
The Low End Theory
36 Chambers
Madvillainy
Midnight Marauders
Go to RYM's chart and customize it for just hip hop albums for other suggestions. (Ignore Endtroducing though, while a great album, it isn't hip hop.)

Cheers, I'll give those a swing sometime - although I've heard and really enjoyed Illmatic for the same reasons that it breaks the stereotypes of hip-hop.

lethalnezzle wrote:
Well if you don't understand it, stop criticising. Seriously, nothing pisses me off more than people who know nothing about hip-hop moaning about "it's all just 'bling' this and 'hoes' that".

It annoys me a little well, like I said I rarely listen to hip-hop but when I do people are surprised (because I'm just a dorky kid) and I often explain to them it's not about the same lyrics about "bling" and "hoes" as you said but in a lot of cases can be more powerful than singing to get across views and emotions. But this isn't always the case and those stereotypes are there for a reason, and I think a lot of mainstream hip-hop is enforcing that stereotype because it's popular with a lot of people. Kanye West, even though within the mainstream, breaks a lot of these, and I give him kudos for that.