Kanye West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/15/2012 05:54
  • Post subject:
To me, his genius lays entirely in his production.

He was one of the first people to put rock and classical stylings into his hip-hop beats, without making it nu-metal.

Also, that song above, "Devil in a New Dress", was NOT produced by Kanye.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/15/2012 06:57
  • Post subject:
I can enjoy Kanye's music in the same way I can enjoy watching a drunk man fall off a uncycle.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/15/2012 14:05
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I just listened to this song and I hate this song and these are my reasons:

1) Begins with a cliche'd "uh yah" before beginning the opening chorus. There are no abstract qualities in beginning a song this way. There is no immersion. It doesn't pull you in. Just follows a trend that is popular with the kids (that's the only reason I can think of, anybody got a better one? I really want to why rappers do this and how it is supposed to improve the song in any way).

2) The "beat" is boring. Just a loop. Loops can be fine though, it depends whether it fits together with what is going on as a whole. I can't seem to figure out how the sampled vocal, the drum rhythm, and the lyrics and vocalization have to do with each other on an abstract level. I mean, Kanye uses words like "constellations" and "Jesus"... The sounds aren't married together. Again with number 1, the only reasoning I can see behind this is because the kids think it is catchy, and Kanye is talking about NOBLE things so the critics might think it is more arty somehow (am I missing something?).

3) Kanye's vocals have so little creativity I lose energy and motivation as I listen to it. I struggle to make it through this song.

4) Just as I can't take the repetitiveness and insulting simplicity of "dah ill beat" anymore (still missing something?), it finally changes and there's some chill piano and guitar. I am so relieved that for a second I thought I actually enjoyed it. It is played again at the end of the song for some reason, which takes away any freshness of it, or any sense of progression that part initially gave the song.

5) *insert guest appearance* towards end. This may be the thing I hate most about hip hop. Like most of the above, there are no artistic reasons for this. The song has versus and choruses, so I guess all Kanye has to do is leave one out for the guest... convenience! (whole damn song feels lazy) It seems to me that the real point is just to get two different artist names on the same song, so that fans of each can find out about the other. Rinse and repeat for at least half of your songs in each album and.... cha-ching!

Overall: IT IS FUUAACKING BOOOORINNNNGHHHAAA Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

And for the other end of the spectrum, here's a song I see as good that has hip hop elements:

Link

Reasons why I call it good:

1) There is a real tone. It is dark and gritty.
2) Vocal creativity.
3) Actual emotional integrity.
4) Actual drumming (whether there is a real drum or not, I don't know, the point is that the drum sounds aren't in an obvious repetitive pattern).
5) The song has progression and feels like it's building.
6) No pointless guest appearance.

7) I can enjoy the song without understanding the lyrics, in contrast to Kanye who relies on lyrics since there is nothing else really going on.
8 ) Using Chrome's auto-translate, I see the words (description of video) fit the dark, grittiness of the song, such as "blood", "buried", "trembling", "ripped my flesh", "limbs", "torture", etc.

9) I FEEL something other than "I like this". For some reason, Meira's music makes me feel a bit sick. That's art.

[Also, song improves greatly in context of album]

So that's me objectifying music. I realize I'm being abrasive. Bite me Shocked

Well done on the most snobbish post I've ever read on BEA. I don't even particularly like Kanye (and have been a vocal critic of his on this site many times), yet I hate everything you've just written. Christ, we must look like ants from atop that high horse.
nGallagher

Netherlands

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:09
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Well done on the most snobbish post I've ever read on BEA. I don't even particularly like Kanye (and have been a vocal critic of his on this site many times), yet I hate everything you've just written. Christ, we must look like ants from atop that high horse.

You have 2 z's in your name, your argument is invalid. Wait a sec.. there isn't even an argument in your post.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:10
  • Post subject:
nGallagher wrote:
You have 2 z's in your name, your argument is invalid. Wait a sec.. there isn't even an argument in your post.

You have Noel Gallagher as your picture. Cretin.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:17
  • Post subject:
Funny, I just relistened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy yesterday and I really like that album a lot now. It's almost too ridiculous to not to like it
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:33
  • Post subject:
... Devil In A New Dress is a great song Confused Why are we all hating? d'oh!

Kanye knows what he's doing... His songs are enjoyable. I don't know what more you could ask for... If you want to listen to a different rapper, then go a head... Neutral
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:36
  • Post subject:
Also, I like his music because it's catchy and well performed and fun to listen to
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:46
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
You have Noel Gallagher as your picture. Cretin.

pfft, better than that loser in yours, just by looking at him I can tell i'd hate to talk to him. thank fuck he ain't on BEA.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/15/2012 15:53
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
pfft, better than that loser in yours, just by looking at him I can tell i'd hate to talk to him. thank fuck he ain't on BEA.

Yeah, he looks like a bellend.