GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nookel

• Posted: 01/14/2007 19:25
  • Post subject:
Mr.Music wrote:
Guys, do you feel like some albums are highly overrated?
Ok, here is a list of overrated albums in my oppinion:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Radiohead - Ok Computer
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers....
U2 - Joshua Tree

Smile

I sure as hell agree with Nevermind i mean it is a good album but not one of the best ever same goes for Sgt. Pepper. As for Ok Computer i have to disagree it is and amazing album at least in my opinion. but I would really like to know why do you think it isn't that great.

Edit: i gave nevermind another listen and it is that great actually. i have no idea if it is because its really that good or its just because its my first album ever and the nostalgia got me... its in my greatest list now.

Last edited by Nookel on 02/20/2007 17:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/14/2007 21:04
  • Post subject:
I'm stricter than most, but yea, I definitely feel all those albums are significantly overrated. I haven't listened to any of them very recently so my ratings are close estimates. Here's what I'd give each of them, with a 9/10 and up being masterpiece level.

Nevermind 7.3/10
OK Computer 7.6/10
Sgt Pepper 7.1/10
Joshua Tree...tough call, I'd estimate around 6.5/10 or so.

Since all these albums are usually given 5 stars I think they're each overrated by a wide margin. To me, a real 5 star album is much rarer than what is rated by most critics.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 01/15/2007 21:12
  • Post subject:
I just dont get the buzz, Ok Computer is great but brilliant? A rock album with an electronic taste! I prefer The Bends or Kid A. In my opinion 90s best album was In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, alot of cheaper and has a deeper meaning(lyrics).
  • Visit poster's website
Johnny Cage

• Posted: 01/18/2007 23:13
  • Post subject:
SamTheMan wrote:
Greatest Albums Ever are:

1 Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
2 Lorca - Tim Buckley
3 Pink Moon - Nick Drake
4 Seven Swans - Sufjan Stevens
5 Nevermind - Nirvana
6 IV - Led Zeppelin
7 Starsailor - Tim Buckley
8 Blue Afternoon - Tim Buckley
9 New Morning - Bob Dylan
10 Blue - Joni Mitchell

Just missing out : Grace - Jeff Buckley, The Doors - The Doors, Ys - Joanna Newsom, Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan Question

Looking over your list, I'd recommend:

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Animals by Pink Floyd
Michigan and Illinois by Sufjan Stevens

Other than that, nice list.
Johnny Cage

• Posted: 01/18/2007 23:16
  • Post subject:
Mr.Music wrote:
I just dont get the buzz, Ok Computer is great but brilliant? A rock album with an electronic taste! I prefer The Bends or Kid A. In my opinion 90s best album was In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, alot of cheaper and has a deeper meaning(lyrics).

I think part of the reason OK Computer is still regarded as a great album, may be because of its more deeply-implanted seeds of existentialism and capitalism over its soil of sonic-fusion and electronics. I personally have enjoyed all Radiohead releases (except Pablo Honey) but that is just my take on 'Computer's success.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is also a favorite of mine, have you listened to On Avery Island?
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 01/23/2007 13:40
  • Post subject:
Yes Johnny i have listened to Avery Island also and i think its great. So what do u think, is In The... better then Ok Computer or is it too hard to compare them.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnny Cage

• Posted: 01/23/2007 19:36
  • Post subject:
I find it very hard to compare both of them, mostly because in my own subconscious I classify them as being very different. If you'd like to compare them on writing styles or by lyrics, I'd still come to a stalemate.
I think Neutral Milk Hotel had many great lines and to me they used wonderful imagery, sometimes complex and sometimes not but usually in the vein of fantastic and surreal. With Radiohead lyrics, especially on OK Computer, it felt to me as if they would used seemingly simple lyrics to try and evoke the fantastic imagery within the listener.

Just a few of my favorite lines off the top of my head:

"...but now he rides a comet's flame and won't be coming back again."
- Holland, 1945

"...one day, I am going to grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless."
- Let Down
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 01/24/2007 11:00
  • Post subject:
Hehehe nice.....

Cant believe how strange it is to be anything at all
- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Smile
  • Visit poster's website
bc1991

• Posted: 02/02/2007 20:30
  • Post subject: about overrated
I would say I disagree with you about those albums, and dont get me wrong, I think there are a bunch of overrated albums and artists over there. But when somebody makes a list of the top albums, there are a lot of things you have to take in mind, and one of them is the impact caused on the world; and the actual scene of music can't be described without any of those albums I think.
For example before the Sgt. Pepper, rock was considered just for dancing, and not to sit and listen.
The Joshua Tree captivated the world with some extraordinary melodic and armonic themes.
Nevermind changed people's way of thinking, attitude and clothing too. And with Ok Computer, I think Johnny Cage explained perfectly.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 02/09/2007 11:54
  • Post subject:
Thanks bc for sharing your thoughts with us but still i have some questions.
First of all i think its very bad that music changes your way of thinking isnt it called brainwash? Clothing? Sex Pistols changed peoples clothing more then any other band in rock history(i guess) but nobody thinks their albums are the greatest. In my oppinion its really bad that u have to change your clothing because u like a certain style of music. I blame the hype and thats why i dont think these albums are so great, because the hype gets us confused. I dont see people wearing hats because Captain Beefheart did tho he has changed the face of pop music more than any of these bands.
Joshua Tree is an great album, they had a great producer also - Brian Eno and still it wasnt hes best work. Yes, i am saying that Talking Heads - Remain In Light beats Joshua Tree any day. With an amazing producer work by mr. Eno. And still people are talking how great Joshua Tree is, even if From The Lions Mouth by The Sound is much better but the world wasnt just ready yet. So dont let the buzzzz get you Smile
  • Visit poster's website