18%
 18%  [9]
Total Votes : 48

MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 02:51
  • Post subject:
I'm not a fan as far as either of their music goes, but Michael Jackson has(had?) far more talent.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/24/2013 08:50
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
their music sounds the same outside of the guitar work.

Wow.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/24/2013 09:58
  • Post subject:
Prince.

Next question?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 12:24
  • Post subject:
Well if we are talking "King of Pop", Prince was never as popular as Michael. Michael rocked that like no one since the Beatles.

Musically, Prince I think is more unique and sophisticated, but I think Michael Jackson as a musician just can't be beat... in the sense that his music is immediately accessible, solid, and hits that part of your mind that makes you want to dance and groove almost on demand. Plus his whole life was dedicated to music... I mean he and Stevie Wonder were like prodigy pop stars getting their first big hits when they were like 10 years old.

Another thing I appreciate about Michael Jackson is he did the whole show himself, the choreography, and a lot of the songwriting... this much creative control isn't common with "pop" stars.

I was too young in the 80s, but I just don't see Prince as a pop star at all actually. I mean POP STAR... sure he was a pop musician and released some good singles, but I remember the Michael craze even at such a young age, and not much about Prince. IDK, for me it was Madonna and Michael for the 80s pop Scene.

Now if you are asking quality of music and artistic ability... well I don't really care for either of them as "artists".
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/24/2013 19:38
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

sethmadsen wrote:
Now if you are asking quality of music and artistic ability... well I don't really care for either of them as "artists".

MrFrogger wrote:
Michael Jackson has(had?) far more talent.

notsureifanyofyouaresane

Anyway, Prince. After The Lips, Dylan and various Wu-Tang members, he's probably my favourite artist. His discography is unmatched in the world of pop, his outstanding musical ability on a variety of instruments and in the studio is ridiculous, his incredible live performances put other artists of a similar calibre/popularity to shame, and he has written and performed some of the most recognisable and downright brilliant pop songs of all-time ('When Doves Cry', '1999', 'Kiss', 'Purple Rain', 'Rasberry Beret', 'I Would Die 4 U', 'Sign o' the Times', 'Little Red Corvette', 'Let's Go Crazy', 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World', 'Diamonds and Pearls', 'I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man', 'Anotherloverholenyohead', 'I Wanna Be Your Lover', 'Manic Monday', 'Nothing Compares 2 U', etc.). His innate understanding and subsequent ability to take full advantage of both the album and the single formats make him one of the most interesting, memorable, prolific, talented and singular artists of all-time, releasing (or not, in many cases) so much incredible material - during a good 10-12 year run, anyway - that will stand the test of time and have people continuously combing over and studying his music for as long as popular music remains relevant. Whilst I enjoy the work Michael Jackson, and am probably a bigger fan of his than many on the site who see him as "pop crap" or whatever term those sheeple prefer today, I just think Prince entirely transcended his apparent pop confines with such a startling frequency that he deserves my vote. Whether he is "The King of Pop" is debatable, as it's not a term I'd feel comfortable tarnishing him with; he's so much more than that. He's ostensibly a pop star, but one who crosses so many boundaries in terms of fanbase. He's somebody that fans of hip-hop, rock, soul, funk, dance music and pop music can all enjoy, and I think the people who dismiss him as "pop crap" (or whatever) need to look seriously at their superior and patronising attitudes towards certain types of music, but even moreso their knowledge of Prince and his work. Just my two cents.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/24/2013 19:42
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

All I have to say is the following..

purple wrote:

Happymeal

• Posted: 02/24/2013 19:48
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
All I have to say is the following..

I was being facetious (although I didn't really show it, it's harder to tell over the internet)

My opinion still is the same in the sense I like them just as much as each other.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 02:18
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
notsureifanyofyouaresane

Anyway, Prince. After The Lips, Dylan and various Wu-Tang members, he's probably my favourite artist. His discography is unmatched in the world of pop, his outstanding musical ability on a variety of instruments and in the studio is ridiculous, his incredible live performances put other artists of a similar calibre/popularity to shame, and he has written and performed some of the most recognisable and downright brilliant pop songs of all-time ('When Doves Cry', '1999', 'Kiss', 'Purple Rain', 'Rasberry Beret', 'I Would Die 4 U', 'Sign o' the Times', 'Little Red Corvette', 'Let's Go Crazy', 'The Most Beautiful Girl in the World', 'Diamonds and Pearls', 'I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man', 'Anotherloverholenyohead', 'I Wanna Be Your Lover', 'Manic Monday', 'Nothing Compares 2 U', etc.). His innate understanding and subsequent ability to take full advantage of both the album and the single formats make him one of the most interesting, memorable, prolific, talented and singular artists of all-time, releasing (or not, in many cases) so much incredible material - during a good 10-12 year run, anyway - that will stand the test of time and have people continuously combing over and studying his music for as long as popular music remains relevant. Whilst I enjoy the work Michael Jackson, and am probably a bigger fan of his than many on the site who see him as "pop crap" or whatever term those sheeple prefer today, I just think Prince entirely transcended his apparent pop confines with such a startling frequency that he deserves my vote. Whether he is "The King of Pop" is debatable, as it's not a term I'd feel comfortable tarnishing him with; he's so much more than that. He's ostensibly a pop star, but one who crosses so many boundaries in terms of fanbase. He's somebody that fans of hip-hop, rock, soul, funk, dance music and pop music can all enjoy, and I think the people who dismiss him as "pop crap" (or whatever) need to look seriously at their superior and patronising attitudes towards certain types of music, but even moreso their knowledge of Prince and his work. Just my two cents.

Thanks... I liked this comment. I agree, as I stated, that Prince writes more unique and sophisticated music... making him arguably a better musician and artist. I guess when I say I don't dig him as an artist I mean I don't like the aesthetic as much. Now have I really given him the time of day... kinda... I have listened to Purple Rain 3 times and just didn't get into as much I could a Michael Jackson album. Is that the only album I have listened to his... yes. Have I listened to at least 5 Michael Jackson albums more than 3 times each... yes... therefore I am a bit biased when I write this... but at the same time either Prince is a grower, or Prince just isn't as good... from his magnum opus alone at least. I would take Michael Jackson's top 5 albums over Prince's Purple Rain anyday... Blasphemy!!!, you say... maybe...
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/25/2013 02:20
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Thanks... I liked this comment. I agree, as I stated, that Prince writes more unique and sophisticated music... making him arguably a better musician and artist. I guess when I say I don't dig him as an artist I mean I don't like the aesthetic as much. Now have I really given him the time of day... kinda... I have listened to Purple Rain 3 times and just didn't get into as much I could a Michael Jackson album. Is that the only album I have listened to his... yes. Have I listened to at least 5 Michael Jackson albums more than 3 times each... yes... therefore I am a bit biased when I write this... but at the same time either Prince is a grower, or Prince just isn't as good... from his magnum opus alone at least. I would take Michael Jackson's top 5 albums over Prince's Purple Rain anyday... Blasphemy!!!, you say... maybe...

Not sure how you can describe Prince as being either "a grower" or not "as good" as MJ based on one album. Take some time to check out his other stuff.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 02:32
  • Post subject:
Just listened to Thriller and Purple Rain back to back. Neither of these albums will fully encompass of breadth of these guy's work, but from these two albums I think I'll go with Prince. It's more rock n roll which is more to my liking and I just prefer Prince's vocals. It's far more edgy.