How do you feel about the silence between the songs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: The Silence
Waste of time
16%
 16%  [5]
Silence is also the part of music
51%
 51%  [16]
Breaktime for next masterpiece
25%
 25%  [8]
Oh, fuck, I'm OCD and If I start to play the song, I have to see the song ends And I want to listen next song for now!, But that silence is driving mad! Ahh!
6%
 6%  [2]
Total Votes : 31

Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/13/2013 11:55
  • Post subject:
nshaw75 wrote:
I remember someone posted an image from amazon where they were buying hours worth of silent tracks for 99p each - lol

There are Explicit and Album Versions of Non-Musical Silence apparently Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
nshaw75

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/13/2013 12:12
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
There are Explicit and Album Versions of Non-Musical Silence apparently Laughing

Not worth paying good money for an explicit silence though - lol
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2013 14:48
  • Post subject:
I guess it depends on how long the breaks are. If it's 30 seconds or less, it's possible that a break could compliment the music. Generally, though, if it's longer than that, I'm going to get bored.

Like hidden tracks, for example, fuck that shit. I mean, not only would the "hidden" aspect of the track only affect you on your initial listen, but most of the time you know it's going to be there anyways. Yeah, I really hate hidden tracks.

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/13/2013 14:52
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
I guess it depends on how long the breaks are. If it's 30 seconds or less, it's possible that a break could compliment the music. Generally, though, if it's longer than that, I'm going to get bored.

Like hidden tracks, for example, fuck that shit. I mean, not only would the "hidden" aspect of the track only affect you on your initial listen, but most of the time you know it's going to be there anyways. Yeah, I really hate hidden tracks.

I guess hidden tracks were cool one day. You'd pop your vinyl in, listen to the listed songs, and suddenly BAM a new song you didn't expect. Nowadays you download the album and either you see a 20 minute song which has audio for the first 3 minutes and then silence until the end or it's listed as another track. Pretty pointless IMO. I usually edit the tracks so the "hidden tracks" are just another track without silence inbetween.

On the OP's topic, I enjoy it when all the songs flow without interruption, when the album is kinda like one long song. Good tie-ins between songs can change the experience for me. I'd rather have silence than cheap tie-ins though.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:02
  • Post subject:
Doesn't really matter to me actually. I enjoy albums that lead in or have silence (depending on the music of course). That being said, I prefer the tie - ins and what not because it constantly keeps the music going which is great, but most of the time a small amount of silence is a little nice time to get prepared for the next song, so I chose breaktime option.

That being said, tie - ins can suck, but I haven't heard one that has (one of my favorites being on the album dookie between Longview and the track before it). Pretty interesting topic though (at least one that I haven't seen before), kind of difficult to form full thoughts on.
JMan

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:12
  • Post subject:
Breaktime. Sometimes I don't like when two songs are put together. I like the break point.
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:27
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:

Yes, I always get bored when I'm listening Kid A, 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' has 7mim playtime, but it actually sounds less 3min and then hidden track came out and disappear, and I'm left with 3min-more silence(It's crazy)
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:28
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Breaktime. Sometimes I don't like when two songs are put together. I like the break point.

Lol, I thought you're a big fan of concept album(Rock Opera, maybe)
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:36
  • Post subject:
My music software allows for a great crossfade with no noise if I want it. It also skips any long silence in a track, so a track that includes 4 minutes of silence (PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHOT FOR THAT) and then a bonus track becomes a normal track immediatly followed by a bonus track.

The only time I find silence to be bothersome is if there is a long space hiding a bonus track. Or an album like Danzig 4...at the end, there are 66 small silent tracks, then a shitty bonus track.

Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 06/13/2013 15:40
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
My music software allows for a great crossfade with no noise if I want it. It also skips any long silence in a track, so a track that includes 4 minutes of silence (PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHOT FOR THAT) and then a bonus track becomes a normal track immediatly followed by a bonus track.

The only time I find silence to be bothersome is if there is a long space hiding a bonus track. Or an album like Danzig 4...at the end, there are 66 small silent tracks, then a shitty bonus track.

Brick wall

What is this magic software you speak of?
  • Visit poster's website