Favorite Music Review Websites/Youtube channels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 03/11/2014 01:24
  • Post subject:
Jjjoniee wrote:
...if I want to know what an album sounds like, I'll just use pitchfork.

Usually if I want to know that I check RYM reviews.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2014 01:38
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Usually if I want to know that I check RYM reviews.

You needn't do that either considering their genre tags are generally accurate. Razz
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/11/2014 01:41
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
You needn't do that either considering their genre tags are generally accurate. Razz

Well yes, but genres can't tell you everything - I like reading reviews to get more of an idea. Razz
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 03/11/2014 01:49
  • Post subject:
RYMer on Oval's O wrote:
markus pOop delivers the goods after years of creative constipation.

yes, exactly what it sounds like
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/11/2014 06:47
  • Post subject:
Still this guy

Link
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:00
  • Post subject:
RYM is my go-to source for discovering music, but the community that's really into reviewing has few gems among a lot of rough. Tiny Mix Tapes is good for their brand of edgier views and edgier picks, though they sometimes are a bit ridiculous or uneven in their reviews. I check Pitchfork to keep an eye on the zeitgeist even if I rarely listen to music they review. In the past, I've subscribed to The Wire (unfulfilling in an age of internet news and opinions, but I can see how its voice would be essential to people), devoured Scaruffi, cringed at Fantano, been interested in but never in love with The Quietus and FACT Magazine, and avoided Rolling Stone and the likes like the plague. To round out the list, Mark Prindle is a fun reviewer with idiosyncratic taste that's not my cuppa these days and Christgau for what arguable influence he had seems to me like a variation on the Grammys.
Silver

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:11
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
RYM is my go-to source for discovering music, but the community that's really into reviewing has few gems among a lot of rough. Tiny Mix Tapes is good for their brand of edgier views and edgier picks, though they sometimes are a bit ridiculous or uneven in their reviews. I check Pitchfork to keep an eye on the zeitgeist even if I rarely listen to music they review. In the past, I've subscribed to The Wire (unfulfilling in an age of internet news and opinions, but I can see how its voice would be essential to people), devoured Scaruffi, cringed at Fantano, been interested in but never in love with The Quietus and FACT Magazine, and avoided Rolling Stone and the likes like the plague. To round out the list, Mark Prindle is a fun reviewer with idiosyncratic taste that's not my cuppa these days and Christgau for what arguable influence he had seems to me like a variation on the Grammys.

I agree with almost all of this. I've never bothered with The Wire though, and I actually really like The Quietus, but for the most part I share these sentiments. Especially the cringing at Fantano part.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:13
  • Post subject:
He's like those teachers who try to be kids' friends. Or recommend them music they're listening to anyway cause they read the same three music review websites he does.
Silver

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:16
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
He's like those teachers who try to be kids' friends. Or recommend them music they're listening to anyway cause they read the same three music review websites he does.

I just hate his style of review. I've always found his humor to be really forced and unfunny, and I feel like for the decent control over language he has he doesn't really understand that much about music. So often I see him using production as a scapegoat for things he doesn't like on albums that it makes me really question whether he knows what production entails. Aside from that, there's something in the way he speaks that really bothers me. The way he draws out every single album title when he's introducing them just kills me. Plus he's so heavily into the whole /mu/ culture that I dislike him as a default anyways.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/11/2014 07:28
  • Post subject:
Aw Sad . Well I find him far less obnoxious as sth like Pitchfork or Tiny Mix Tapes or Scaruffi, I like the videos he does where he answers (well at least brings up for discussion) fans questions. He doesn't describe music with some overly sophisticated adjectives that would be unnecessary (or that I wouldn't understand on account of my Slovenian-ness). And every year I'll get a few albums from him that I wouldn't get from other sites that I follow.
His sense of humour is.. ugh... hit and miss I guess, but I dunno, it doesn't really bother me anymore.

So yeah... Think
  • Visit poster's website