Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:28
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Though I did once attend a music festival where they had beer vendors walking through the crowds during shows yelling "GET YOUR COLD BEER!". Despite having Eminem, Flaming Lips, Muse, Ween, Primus, Girl Talk, Bassnectar, Cage the Elephant, and quite a few other very big names the first time out, the festival has yet to return in the two years since its inception because of how poorly it was run.

Festivals and poorly run are almost synonymous. It's why NYC can never keep any. Festivals usually destroy the park where they're held.

MrFrogger wrote:
I am so incredibly jealous of all of you people seeing one of my favorite artists of all time, they have yet to schedule any west coast dates.

As for concert etiquette, the most raucous person I can think of is from when I saw Death Grips last December. One guy standing a couple people to the right of me, in the front row, kept messing with all the equipment on stage the whole show(It's a really small venue and people in the front row are in arms reach of a lot of stuff on the stage). Anyways we kept unplugging things for most of Death Grips set, and at one point near the end, MC Ride just kicks the dude in the face, knocking him to the ground while some of the venue staff bring him off to the side. Moral of the story, don't mess with MC Ride.

I can't imagine them no announcing west coast dates. They're probably seeing how the east dates sell first. Or there's a Coachella deal brewing.

the worst thing anyone can do is mess with a musician's equipment. i've seen things get ugly because of it too, but i guess MC Ride's reaction is the worst i've heard
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:29
  • Post subject:
I went to a Belle and Sebastian+Yo La Tengo show at Merriweather recently and YLT was the opening act. They tried doing a couple of quiet songs at the beginning and I swear the crowd noise (mostly people having conversations) was louder than the music! Fortunately, they switched to their louder stuff later in the show, which drowned out (and maybe silenced) the crowd. It was so obnoxious and disrespectful... hopefully I'll get a chance to see them in a smaller venue at some point.
KinkyAfro

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:35
  • Post subject:
In my younger days id always be at the front bouncing around like a nobhead (depending on the type of gig) but now id rather stand midway back and take in the music. If its a seated concert, its generally the type of music when you sit back and appreciate the music. You should show respect to eveyone else around you, dont try and talk to the person at side of you (ive had that happen to me too) and dont stand up and start singing and dancing, as then the person behind you has to stand up to see, and so on, and so on. If its a standing gig, youve a choice, if you want to go down to the front and get involved, you can. If, like me, youd rather have a bit of space and just enjoy it (shit, ive just realised im getting old with that statement) then you can.

Ill share a couple of incidents at gigs where friends that ive been with have made me cringe. I hav to say that i like a few beers before a gig, not so im hammered, just merry, but as outlaw said, people that are pissed can be a nightmare, and these are fine examples of that.

The first was Seasick Steve (yes, I went to watch Seasick Steve and damn good he was!) It was at the Manchester academy and when we got in we made our way to the front and was dead centre in front of the stage. My mate (who likes a mosh pit, but this probably wasn't the best gig to start bouncing around) started getting on peoples nerves jumping up and down like it was a thrash metal gig, bumping into them and caught the eye not only of the security but also of Seasick Steve. Security had a word with him and he calmed down but 2 songs later he was off again acting like a dick and Steve stopped playing mid song and told him to calm down or he'd be out! It was all quiet in the venue after he'd said it and my mate just put both arms in the air and shouted at the top of his voice in his face, "Seasick Steve your a legend!!!!!". He just started laughing and then carried on with his song. It was funny when i look back at it, but I moved away from him for the rest of the evening.

The second was at BB King at the Manchester Arena. All seated, and we had great seats, 3rd row back in the middle block about 10ft away from the great man. It was a quiet atmosphere because of the average age of the crowd, in fact, we were probably the youngest there. BB king started a rendition of "you are my Sunshine". he stopped and asked people if they would like to join in. My mate that i was was with who is a diehard Man United fan (hes still my mate despite of this) said to him "Mr King, as you are in Manchester, its not you are my sunshine, its you are my Solskjaer" (a chant sung by United fans about player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer) My mate turned round to the crowd and raised his arms and started singing it expecting the united fans in the crowd to join in..... nothing.... Silence. I just wanted the ground to swallow him (and me) up. it was probably the most embarrasing moment in my life, and i know my mate feels the same way as hes mentioned it since. even the King himself didnt know what to say, it was that awful! He just said "ok, hmmmm", looked round and then carried on with the set.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:45
  • Post subject:
I wanna punch every person that tries to record the concert on their fucking phones. The bigger the phone, the more annoyed I am.

Drunk people can also get really annoying, I got stuff spilled on me several times already... Not pleasant.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:45
  • Post subject:
KinkyAfro wrote:
In my younger days id always be at the front bouncing around like a nobhead (depending on the type of gig) but now id rather stand midway back and take in the music. If its a seated concert, its generally the type of music when you sit back and appreciate the music. You should show respect to eveyone else around you, dont try and talk to the person at side of you (ive had that happen to me too) and dont stand up and start singing and dancing, as then the person behind you has to stand up to see, and so on, and so on.

Yeah, I'm mostly with you on this, though I don't mind if the crowd occasionally stands for the more upbeat and well-known songs. One type of concert I wish existed in my area: the up-close lawn concert. I can't think of a much greater bliss than lying on a blanket, closing my eyes, and just being surrounded by the music... I'm thinking Grizzly Bear or the XX or something similar.

On the other hand, it rained at four of the last five concerts I went to. Good thing I was in the covered seating area.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/02/2013 19:47
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I wanna punch every person that tries to record the concert on their fucking phones.

Has anybody ever actually enjoyed watching/listening to a phone-recorded concert? I don't get it.
jonasbrother4

• Posted: 08/02/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Re: Concert Etiquette
meccalecca wrote:
So, I just purchased tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel, which reminded me of the time I saw Jeff Mangum solo...

We had assigned seating, so naturally I got stuck next to a douchey bro, who appeared to be on a date. Throughout the performance bro talked loudly to her about what a big fan he was, occasionally singing along horribly, and constantly criticizing the rest of the crowd for not doing so. He had clearly been doing a lot of drinking that night, and his concert etiquette was more inline with seeing a Kiss cover band at an outdoor festival than a quiet acoustic act at a seated indoor venue. About 3/4 through the performance he finally got bored and left.

Do you guys have any pet peeves in regards to concert etiquette. What gets on your nerves?

that sucks man, how far did you drive to get to the concert and did you nicely ask the dude to stfu. I would have probably moved
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2013 20:01
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I wanna punch every person that tries to record the concert on their fucking phones. The bigger the phone, the more annoyed I am.

I remember back before phones had video/cameras, people would call their friends when a certain song came on and put their phone in the air. that had to sound like shit. it was definitely irritating.

i remember hearing that one-sided conversation:

"Can you hear?!"
"What?!"
"I Can't Hear You"
'What?!"
"Nookie"
"Yeah, What?!"
  • Visit poster's website
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 08/02/2013 20:59
  • Post subject:
I just hate the people filming the songs, it's so fucking anoying.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/02/2013 21:07
  • Post subject:
meruizh wrote:
I just hate the people filming the songs, it's so fucking anoying.

Nevermind concerts, I can't stand watching people taking photos outside. Don't know how to enjoy life. Evil or Very Mad