What's the point?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2013 23:42
  • Post subject:
I was actually just discussing this with a friend of mine the other night.

I listen to new music, new albums, all the time. There are albums I love and go back to, but as often as I can, I'm looking for something new. My friend told me that he has to be in a certain mood to listen to something new. I told him that I think most people are like that, but for me, I'm always chasing that next great album, that next great high. When I listen to an album for the first time and it's phenomenal, I'm blown away. I finish that album and say "Wow. That was incredible." and while subsequent listens are still enjoyable, it's not the same as experiencing it the first time. A lot of people are that way with movies, I'm sure everyone here can name at least one movie they wish they could see for the first time again. And so, in search of that next album that blows me away, I'm always going through new music, or rather albums that are new to me, not necessarily albums that are chronologically "new".

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2013 14:59
  • Post subject: Re: What's the point?
an_outlaw wrote:
Regarding music, most people here are constantly looking for new music. Some are taking it in at considerable speed, perhaps even 3+ new albums everyday at times. We have many who are all about finding new music which is quite appropriate considering this is a music website.

What are we doing it for though? What is the point of it all in the long run? Do you have special reasons? You could listen to what you have got and stick with that. I could be set for life with what I have so far. On the contrary, I've heard some say they get bored of every album eventually and have to have new ones.

Well... what are your reasons? Do we need a reason for such a thing?

I'll never get bored of my favorite albums. I've been returning to my favorites for decades now.

But finding new albums to love is like a treasure hunt. You never know what you'll stumble across. There's a really wonderful rewarding feeling about discovering a new record. I think that's why I do it. There's also the feeling that if you're not listening to the album that everyone else is talking about, then you're missing out on something amazing.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2013 16:20
  • Post subject:
i love music -- always have. I especially enjoy hearing something awesome for the first time -- whether it's brand new or from 50+ years ago. It's just an awesome feeling when music truly "connects".

It's the same for any other artistic medium. When a form of art, whether it's a painting or movie or music or poem, truly connects, there's nothing much else like it.
  • Visit poster's website