Kiki

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:39
  • Post subject:
Genres should be banned forever.
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:39
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Genres, sub-genres, blah blah blah. who gives a fuck? Most of the most interesting music released breaks the narrow confines of a singular genre or subgenre. The origins of metal exist under the larger umbrella of rock, but then there's something like black metal that straddles between the larger umbrellas of rock and classical.

People generally picture genres and subgenres as trees, branching out further and further into their own individual things, but that's not how it works. they're constantly mixing, and growing more and more complicated

While I agree that it doesn't matter what genre a certain album or artist is when listening (at least for me), I was asking what classifies a genre or sub-genre, not if they matter or not.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:43
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
While I agree that it doesn't matter what genre a certain album or artist is when listening (at least for me), I was asking what classifies a genre or sub-genre, not if they matter or not.

yeah, that wasn't really directed at you, moreover at the overall need to classify things. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't think anyone really knows. most genre/sub-genre terminology was coined by writers and critics trying to break things down, and often to avoid really evaluating the work. Pitchfork is always trying to do that. pretty sure they tried passing off the term shit-gaze at one point.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:48
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
yeah, that wasn't really directed at you, moreover at the overall need to classify things. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't think anyone really knows. most genre/sub-genre terminology was coined by writers and critics trying to break things down, and often to avoid really evaluating the work. Pitchfork is always trying to do that. pretty sure they tried passing off the term shit-gaze at one point.

To tell you the complete truth, I absolutely fucking hate genre classification. Here's why: If you're new to the world of music, and you only really listen to one genre/ sub-genre, then, for example, if you really like black metal, you'll probably get turned off by anything classified as folk. If there were no genre classification, then that black metal fan may just discover a whole new world of greatness. But since there are genre classifications, that black metal fan will probably never know the greatness of Bob Dylan or Neil Young.

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:51
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
To tell you the complete truth, I absolutely fucking hate genre classification. Here's why: If you're new to the world of music, and you only really listen to one genre/ sub-genre, then, for example, if you really like black metal, you'll probably get turned off by anything classified as folk. If there were no genre classification, then that black metal fan may just discover a whole new world of greatness. But since there are genre classifications, that black metal fan will probably never know the greatness of Bob Dylan or Neil Young.

Actually that black metal fan would probably get into black metal with folk elements and then into folk metal and then into folk. So yeah.
Kind of chose a bad two genres to compare, they blend together a lot. XD
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:53
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Actually that black metal fan would probably get into black metal with folk elements and then into folk metal and then into folk. So yeah.

You get my point! Razz
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:58
  • Post subject:
yes, any sort of genre classification normally leads to people putting themselves into bubbles where they become less willing to try new things. The reason I hate genres most is because genres have nothing to do with quality. Every genre is loaded with amazing finds and also loads and loads of crap.

When I book shows, I tend to book bands based on quality rather than concerning myself with whether or not they sound similar enough, and it works out great. I hate nothing more than seeing a concert with 4 mediocre shoegaze bands.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 11/15/2013 22:59
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:

Link

BAM

I kind of get what genesis is getting it, although it's a two-sided coin. Genres make it a lot easier to find things that you're actually interested in listening to, so if you're trying to find new black metal bands it's easy to. I dont think that simply labelling something as "folk" would turn anyone off unless they had heard something in that genre before and disliked it (which im sure everyone has genres they dont particularly care for). But i dont think anyone would cast off an unknown genre just because it's called something different.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2013 23:02
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I kind of get what genesis is getting it, although it's a two-sided coin. Genres make it a lot easier to find things that you're actually interested in listening to, so if you're trying to find new black metal bands it's easy to. I dont think that simply labelling something as "folk" would turn anyone off unless they had heard something in that genre before and disliked it (which im sure everyone has genres they dont particularly care for). But i dont think anyone would cast off an unknown genre just because it's called something different.

You've just perfectly summed up the positive and negative sides of genres.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/15/2013 23:03
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:

Link

BAM

No offense, but if you think that the stereotypical black metal fan (who only listens to black metal) would try out a folk album, I think that you're fairly mistaken. Usually, they would say something along the lines of "It's not heavy enough".