BEA Overall Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:48
  • Post subject:
My opinion about the BEA Overall Chart is my own chart, really.

The overall chart is nothing more than a sample of music preferences from a certain subset of people. Any way that I might think the content could be improved (e.g., more jazz and hip-hop) will surely be opposed by many others. The BEA forum regulars prefer the BEA forum regulars chart (shocking), but the forums are heavily biased towards young people, so their top 100 is probably going to look more like a p4k chart than a Rolling Stone chart.

The only way to improve the overall chart, IMO, is to make a better sampling of the site's users (e.g., weeding out people who try to game the system). Anything beyond that is just jerking off.
Behrus58

Iran

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:54
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

The reason OK Computer is in over 1,800 charts is because a lot of people will come on the site, create a chart that's just a re-ordered version of the top 100, and then leave the site.

Surely have to agree with this.
Is there anyway ?
Maybe Yes.There are some ways to Prevent this attention on few albums.I remember i gave a suggestion some time ago called "suggestion Box" Here :
http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...highlight=

It's always usual that some albums will be in most of the top 10s made by users,but as Puncture repair mentioned the distance between the no.1 and no.100 is too much.and it is growing ! So If a new users joins this site and falls in love with OK Computer , he will surely go to the album page,and see the Suggestion box made by users.A list of albums that the user would like but are not rated as high as OKC.4 example i would add this to the suggestion Box :

Urban Hymns by The Verve
(It may not be as good as OKc but still at least can make it to be heard more by Okc Lovers so it can get on more charts)

At least this can be A small step on improving Our Overall chart
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:55
  • Post subject:
I agree with very little on the overall chart, and it's true that individual user charts contain more personality, but the point of the overall chart isn't to have personality. It's to give the opinion of the community as a whole, and that's exactly what it does. Calling it the worst part of the site makes me wonder what exactly you expect it to be.

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:55
  • Post subject:
Ya, it sucks kha kha kha kha kha.

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:57
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I've considered the idea that we could up-vote specific user's impact on the overall charts. Like say we were to all vote that Norman and The Poe's ranking should have a far greater impact on the overall chart than someone who just opened an account and has the same old stuff in their top 20. But this sort of member favoritism would destroy BEA. But it would be interesting.

I don't really agree with this. It would just give people an incentive to overload their chart with obscure albums instead of being honest. If someone's 100 favorite albums include 50 from the top 100, then I want to know that.

• Posted: 12/17/2013 17:02
  • Post subject:
Urban Hymns sucks balls bruh.
Behrus58

Iran

• Posted: 12/17/2013 17:04
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Urban Hymns sucks balls bruh.

Don't you want to discuss the idea instead of the example ?!
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/17/2013 17:08
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

I've considered the idea that we could up-vote specific user's impact on the overall charts. Like say we were to all vote that Norman and The Poe's ranking should have a far greater impact on the overall chart than someone who just opened an account and has the same old stuff in their top 20. But this sort of member favoritism would destroy BEA. But it would be interesting.

Although I don't agree with altering the overall chart this way, I do think it would make for an interesting add-on chart. Could call it something like a "BEA Select" chart.

• Posted: 12/17/2013 17:08
  • Post subject:
Behrus58 wrote:
Don't you want to discuss the idea instead of the example ?!

It's a strong idea that's been discussed before in the suggestions forum, I'm all for it. Also, agree with pretty much everything said by The Poe, mecca, albummaster, Puncture Repair and spacetiger, even if they do contradict each other somewhat (I can hold two contradicting viewpoints, try and stop me). But yeah, I occasionally look at the chart and remember that there's never any decent recs on there and quickly move onto checking out individual charts. That's where the fun is.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2013 17:17
  • Post subject:
i think I agree with sweden on this one, although maybe there could be an alternate chart in which influence is relative, based on something like voting?

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website