The Gender Identity and Transgender Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 18:06
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Well what if the wolf acted all campy? Like walked like sheep, didn't eat meat and started chewing grass and tried to sound like sheep. You must agree that that would be one queer wolf.

Laughing
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 19:05
  • Post subject:
Surely, though, the LGBT movement surely has parts of it that are worthy of criticism? No movement is absolutely right. I do believe that "genders are not reals" is a stupid argument, but there might be other, more reasonable objections to some parts of this nu-gender movements.

For instance, where is the line between crazy and not crazy? I can understand gender disphoria, for instance, but once someone starts mentioning -kins, insisting on being a multiple system with different sexualities and defining their sexuality as "Dr. Who", I just roll my eyes. Basically, the tumblr crazies. I'm not an unredeemable bigot for thinking this, I hope? How do we draw the line between "rightfully an issue" and "insane attention seeking"? Do these extreme individuals hurt the LGBT cause and create/confirm stereotypes?
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 19:21
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Surely, though, the LGBT movement surely has parts of it that are worthy of criticism? No movement is absolutely right. I do believe that "genders are not reals" is a stupid argument, but there might be other, more reasonable objections to some parts of this nu-gender movements.

For instance, where is the line between crazy and not crazy? I can understand gender disphoria, for instance, but once someone starts mentioning -kins, insisting on being a multiple system with different sexualities and defining their sexuality as "Dr. Who", I just roll my eyes. Basically, the tumblr crazies. I'm not an unredeemable bigot for thinking this, I hope? How do we draw the line between "rightfully an issue" and "insane attention seeking"? Do these extreme individuals hurt the LGBT cause and create/confirm stereotypes?

Yeah I'm kinda glad you brought this up. I have absolutely nothing against those who actually identify as bisexual, but the only 'bisexuals' I've ever met have been types that I would call attention seekers (one, for instance, claimed to be able to speak to ghosts of little girls). And there is a sub-culture, mostly online, that perpetuates this idea that all cisgendered and heterosexuals are somehow inherently evil and oppressive. Someone recently told me that 'cis men are bad at sex', and it's like, we have these terms to stop generalising, and now those same terms are used to do just that. I'm sure this hurts the cause, and it's caused me to occasionally not take the movement seriously, when in reality it's something that shouldn't be frivolous.
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 19:21
  • Post subject:
Straw men hurt everyone.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 20:16
  • Post subject:
secretdad wrote:
Straw men hurt everyone.

You mean this as agreement with puncture repair or as disagreement with me?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 20:28
  • Post subject:
It is a response to the question of whether people identifying their sexuality as "Dr. Who" are hurting LGBT causes. I can guarantee that no one does that, cause they would have written it out like Doctor Who. This does not feel based on a real person. But even if it was, so what? How do these people impact you at all? Does someone who really passionately believes that Ween's rejected jingle for pizza hut is the only legitimate piece of music delegitimatize anyone ever liking Ween? Maybe this person who is totally real (not made up) is being ridiculous, but more importantly, who cares?
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 20:44
  • Post subject:
Yeah I feel these ridiculous fringe examples of people identifying as "bun-kin" or whatever are too often brought up as an example of "Tumblr crazies" or whatever.

I don't think it makes you a bigot or anything Defago - I used to the exact same thing. It's just awarding importance and attention to people who frankly don't warrant it.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 20:54
  • Post subject:
Not that I give a shot about what they identify with, but for a movement that's fighting tooth and nail for widespread acceptance, it sure does them a disservice. Here you have people fighting for equal rights, civil unions and adoptions, and on the side you have special snowflakes who are, to a certain measure, undoing this. So, yeah, the extremists don't hurt anyone directly bu being crazy, but they sure make the whole movement even more fringe in the eyes of the general population than it already is.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 21:04
  • Post subject:
I really doubt the general population is reading 14 year old's tumblrs. And I still think it's disingenuous to use examples that don't actually exist in reality.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 06/08/2015 21:09
  • Post subject:
I don't think you can help much who sides with you - it's not as if the LGBT movement is some unified organisation, it's a broad tent that anyone can claim for themselves.