• Posted: 03/28/2009 01:20
  • Post subject:
I don't even know what the fuck we're talking about anymore
joannajewsom

• Posted: 03/28/2009 01:42
  • Post subject:
maxxy wrote:

Neither do I, but the idiocy of rfnaples astounds and frightens me, so I keep coming back for more.
  • Visit poster's website
caralladas76

• Posted: 03/28/2009 02:13
  • Post subject:
maxxy wrote:

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you!!
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 03/28/2009 13:02
  • Post subject:
A final note on the Spears discussion, and I'll put it to rest. I've decided that it's useless arguing with someone like naples, but I do want to point something out. Keep in mind that "fans" also means "people who think she is talented", since that was the discussion.

The idea that the odds against me are 85 million to 1 is far from the truth. We all know the 1 is far from the truth, as proved by 2 or 3 people in this thread; but let's take a look at how the 85 million is far from the truth.

This premise that 85 million record sales=equals 85 million fans is utter nonsense. With it comes the assumption that 85 million different people all bought only 1 Spears album in their lifetime. This is just unrealistic, and it dismisses the idea that some fans could have bought 2, 3, 4 different albums; and the most diehard fans would have bought all 7 or 8.

It also dismisses the number of different releases she has actually had, and that these sales figures are have been accumulated by 8 albums (studio and greatest hits). It dismisses the possibility that she could have 10+ million fans who all bought one copy of each of her 8 albums.

A more accurate, but flawed, estimate of her fans, based on these numbers would be that she has anywhere from 10-85 million fans. As I will demonstrate, assuming the extreme of 85 million is an arbitrary, baseless, and unrealistic assumption.

Here is how her sales break down:

(all worldwide)

1. Baby One More Time- 25 million
2. Oops! I Did It Again- 17 million
3. Britney- 9 million
4. In the Zone- 7.5 million
5. Greatest Hits- 5 million
6. Remixes- 0.5 million
7. Blackout- 2.1 million
8. Circus- 3 million

Now, this clearly doesn't add up to an estimated 85 million, but these numbers are from the same site that makes the 85 million claim. This probably has to do with albums shipped vs. sold, the well-known fact that records labels inflate reported sales, and other factors which make this type of thing hard to completely verify. Anyhow, these exact numbers are not relevant, only the trend, which is evident, and the distribution of the sales, which I will soon discuss.

Moving on...

If we're going off the premise that 85 million albums sold=85 million fans, that would mean that 85 million people only bought one, and only one, of these albums. Working from her sales figures above, here's what rfnaples' premise suggests:

The first album comes out, 25 million people buy the first album, and then never purchase an album again. As discussed above, this is what the premise suggests.

The second album comes out, 17 million DIFFERENT PEOPLE buy this album (remember, no one can be counted twice), and never buy an album again.

The third comes out, 9 million people buy the album, and then never purchase an album again.

You get the point. That is what the 85 million sales=85 millions fans premises suggests. If sales=fans, then she had 25 million in 98. Somehow, she has 85 million now, even though her sales have drastically decreased. How does that work? You gain more fans as your sales drop? It's nonsense.

If we're working off the premise that sales=fans, any sane person with a grip on reality, would look at her sales figures over time and make this conclusion:

(Keep in mind, this is rfnaples' premise, and I'm working within his proposed realm of thought- which is dangerous)

1. Baby One More Time- 25 million

Okay, she had 25 million fans in 98.

2. Oops! I Did It Again- 17 million

Those 25 million have now dropped to 17 million fans. So, she must be losing fans, not losing the initial 25 million and gaining 17 million new fans!

3. Britney- 9 million

Just as I suspected, her popularity is decreasing, and she is losing fans. The 17 million now has dropped down to 8. That 17 million didn't disappear and, poof!, a new 9 million became fans.

4. In the Zone- 7.5 million

Yup, the fans are slowly disappearing. Sales continue to decrease. If sales =fans, then she has 7.5 million now.

6. Greatest Hits- 5 million

A Greatest Hits album. Sales decreasing but, hey, maybe some of those people from the first album- you know, the ones who bought one album and were never heard from again- maybe they came back for the greatest hits. Maybe some from the second album- you know, the ones who bought one album and were never heard from again- maybe they were feeling nostalgic and bought the greatest hits. Who knows? Any guess is better than assuming the 7.5 million from the last album disappeared and this is a new group of 5 million DIFFERENT PEOPLE, who have never bought a Spears record before.

But, hey, if sales equals fans, Spears had 5 million fans worldwide at this point in her career.

7. Remixes- 0.5 million

The sales are pathetic. I won't even suggest that she only had .5 million fans at this point, although naples' theory would allow me to do so.

8. Blackout- 2.1 million

Again, another group of 2.1 million different people

9. Circus- 3 million

and so on....

Now, this doesn't take into consideration sales over time, but I chose not to address this aspect because naples chose not to, and I'm working within his premise.

To sum up, here is what the premise of 85 million sales=85 million fans suggests:

25 million people bought the first album, and not one of them ever purchased a Spears album ever again.

A new group of 17 million people bought the second album, and not one of them ever purchased an album again.

And so on. Even worse, all 85 million should be still counted as fans, even though the premise suggests that they are extremely fickle and stuck around for only one album.

This is just an narrow-minded, arbitrary and baseless premise that is removed from reality. As demonstrated above, the sales suggest that her popularity has decreased over the years. If Spears indeed had 85 million fans, as naples' tells us this number suggests, and sales=fans than her most recent album would have sold 85 million copies.

Instead, it sold 3 million. 3 million is far from 85 million. Using naples logic that sales=fans, I would say that Spears had 3 million fans as of 2008.

Naples suggested that the odds are against me 85 million to 1. This completely dismisses the 2 or 3 people on this thread alone, who also said she wasn't talented. There are thousands of users on this site, and Spears album appear in only 2 or 3 charts, if that. If we did a poll, I'm sure the numbers would not be against me on this site. This "odds are against me" claim also disregards the opinions of the other 7 billion people on the planet. We don't really know if the odds are against me, do we?

Interestingly enough, his own premise suggests that the odds aren't actually against me. The 25 million fans from the first album aren't fans anymore, since they only bought that first one and never came back, as his premise suggests. They're apparently with me, as well the 17 million from the second album who never came back, and so on. Her sales have drastically decreased over the years; therefore, as times goes on, it seems as though the numbers are more and more on my side.

To conclude, naples' "theory" is completely nonsensical, and has extremely huge holes and gaps.

I seriously doubt that naples' worked in marketing/sales and was a college professor with this kind of ridiculous thought process. If a professor of mine presented this kind of "logic" in a class, he/she would be laughed off campus and fired without the week's pay.

Last edited by joannajewsom on 03/28/2009 14:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2009 13:38
  • Post subject:
Can't you make a point without being rude?

My chart
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=689
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2009 13:40
  • Post subject:
We should change the name of this thread to "What is it with people who don't like Revolver?"
Rolling Eyes

My chart
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2009 14:44
  • Post subject:
I don't think she can be polite, nor brief.
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2009 14:56
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I don't think she can be polite, nor brief.
ouch Shocked

My chart
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 03/28/2009 14:58
  • Post subject:
If you think I'm rude, you should read the kind of stuff being said about me. I'll be nice to you, if you are nice to me.

As far as the people who don't like Revolver, they just don't like Revolver. Why does there have to be something "with" them?

The thread, when it began, was more about people who think it's the greatest thing to every happen to/in rock music. I would say that I like the album, but I don't think it's great. I've listened to it many times, and I'd give it a B/B-.
  • Visit poster's website
Detroit Rock Citizen

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2009 15:40
  • Post subject:
joannajewsom wrote:
If you think I'm rude, you should read the kind of stuff being said about me. I'll be nice to you, if you are nice to me.

As far as the people who don't like Revolver, they just don't like Revolver. Why does there have to be something "with" them?

The thread, when it began, was more about people who think it's the greatest thing to every happen to/in rock music. I would say that I like the album, but I don't think it's great. I've listened to it many times, and I'd give it a B/B-.
People generally treat people the way they deserve to be treated. Reread some of your previous posts.

My chart
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website