Artist nationality

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:23
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
I see Nation=Sovereign State=Country. We disagree on definitions. I use the colloquial and you use the correct legal definitions.

So this appears to be our problem... you're definitions aren't precise enough and you are using them interchangeably and colloquially, whereas I am using them in their dictionary defined sense . So to clear up this little disagreement once and for all, the dictionary defines as follows :

Nation: a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history.
Absolutely applicable to England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as separate entities

Country: a region, territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture
Absolutely applicable to England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as separate entities

Sovereign State: a state which administers its own government, and is not dependent upon, or subject to, another power.
Partially applicable to England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as separate entities. However I do agree the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the sovereign state in question and not the four countries or nations that comprise it. However this is merely a political entity and if you refer to the other definitions then you will clearly see that Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are both Nations and Countries in their own right.

Therefore to come back to the point of this thread - Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are separate Nations (as defined in its legal sense) and therefore have their own nationality - so if AM so chooses could legitimately be set up as nationalities in their own right within the system.

I am now bored of proving you wrong every 5 minutes and I know you are never going to admit it so this will be my last post on the subject.

Slán agat - Imeacht gan teacht ort

Very Happy
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:47
  • Post subject:
Magenta wrote:
So this appears to be our problem... you're definitions aren't precise enough and you are using them interchangeably and colloquially, whereas I am using them in their dictionary defined sense . So to clear up this little disagreement once and for all, the dictionary defines as follows :

Nation: a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent, or history.

Country: a region, territory, or large tract of land distinguishable by features of topography, biology, or culture

Sovereign State: a state which administers its own government, and is not dependent upon, or subject to, another power.
Partially applicable to England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as separate entities. However I do agree the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the sovereign state in question and not the four countries or nations that comprise it. However this is merely a political entity and if you refer to the other definitions then you will clearly see that Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are both Nations and Countries in their own right.

Therefore to come back to the point of this thread - Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are separate Nations (as defined in its legal sense) and therefore have their own nationality - so if AM so chooses could legitimately be set up as nationalities in their own right within the system.

I am now bored of proving you wrong every 5 minutes and I know you are never going to admit it so this will be my last post on the subject.

Slán agat - Imeacht gan teacht ort

Very Happy

Sorry, I don't agree that Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are separate Nations (as defined in its legal sense). Perhaps you see them so colloquially but not legally. Don't you think that maybe the world's leaders have given this subject greater study than BEA? If England, Scotland and Wales were separate countries/nations they would be members of the United Nations, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:53
  • Post subject:
What about culture? Don't Ireland Scotland and England have seperate cultures? Seperate accents? Seperate ways of living?
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:54
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
What about culture? Don't Ireland Scotland and England have seperate cultures? Seperate accents? Seperate ways of living?

JMan, stop. Neighborhoods have separate cultures and ways of living. No, wait. HOUSEHOLDS have separate of all these things. Let them handle this.
JMan

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:56
  • Post subject:
Stop what? I was just thinking culture coukd be something. But you did put an interesting point, Jason.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:56
  • Post subject:
Your point? Don't Louisiana and Connecticut have separate cultures? Separate accents? Separate ways of living? They still are not separate nations/sovereign states/countries.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/05/2013 02:57
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Your point? Don't Louisiana and Connecticut have separate cultures? Separate accents? Separate ways of living? They still are not separate nations/sovereign states/countries.

I meant as a COUNTRY. Freaking duh! OK, forget that!
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 03/05/2013 06:57
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 03/05/2013 07:09
  • Post subject:
I don't want stir the pot anymore, but Im really fascinated in what is trying to be achieved here. It's like a bad courtroom drama where every single piece of concrete evidience that clearly defines the difference between calling something a nation and a sovereign state is constantly rejected by someone who only pretends to be a proper judge. Can someone with authority just proclaim that we're going to classify bands either by their nationality or what sovereign state they belong to, and just.... end this argument? hopefully?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/05/2013 09:46
  • Post subject:
Apologies, just sifted through twelve pages of this, so apologies if I've missed anything. At the moment, the UK is being used as a catch-all for the constituent countries. At some stage, BEA will capture this in more detail and also add the city of origin so that we could then use the data to drill into bands from Seattle, Liverpool, Bristol etc and allow us to plot the data geo-spatially. Personally, I'd prefer to wait until this is added before revising the list of countries too much (I think as well there might be other affected countries in BEA's country list, apart from those in the UK). There are also a few knock-on effects that make this quite a bit of work and I'd prefer to do this as a single unit of work, rather than have to re-visit it multiple times (particularly, given the time constraints I am operating under at the moment).
  • Visit poster's website