3%
 3%  [7]
Total Votes : 184

davidhuret

France

• Posted: 06/19/2013 14:33
  • Post subject:
ColumnatedRuins wrote:
That distinction is not important (particularly since John Lennon was certainly the leader of the group in the vein of a Buddy Holly during The Beatles' early days). The belief that the Beatles were "the first significant rock group" is ridiculous, I think. Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly and the like led/were part of significant rock groups, end of.

That being said, good band. My opinion of them has gone down since I started listening to more and more music released during their era (and consequently finding more stuff I like more than the Beatles), admittedly. They have many awesome songs but never released an album I love all the way through.

I dunno, they're probably in my top 100.

On the contrary, that distinction is crucial. A lead interpreter and/ or songwriter with backing band, and a self-contained group with no official leader are two very different beasts. On artistic, marketing and- as importantly- financial levels, "Bob Dylan and the Hawks" is just not the same entity as "the Band", for instance.
  • Visit poster's website
JasonZaia

Australia

• Posted: 01/20/2015 13:22
  • Post subject:
Top 50, for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2015 18:52
  • Post subject:
I refuse to declare any artist the greatest of all time. But yes, The Beatles are pretty wonderful. Their body of work ranks among the greatest. They'd be in my Top 20.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 01/20/2015 19:13
  • Post subject:
Somewhere in my top 200
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2015 19:24
  • Post subject:
Although Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's are both excellent albums, and several of their other tracks are also great, I hardly consider the Beatles the greatest musical act of all time. While their music is melodically innovative, I feel other groups and artists have produced far moodier and complex material following their wake.
  • Visit poster's website
dmercado

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2015 03:15
  • Post subject:

Plenty of other artists have put up a good fight for this spot (Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Radiohead) but no one has as many game-changing songs and albums as The Beatles have. Between them and Dylan popular music got accelerated to unprecedented heights in a ridiculously short amount of time. I've spent some time listening to music released pre-1963 and it's only allowed me to appreciate what they did even more. At some points I've wanted to believe that it's all a bunch of hype and they're really not all that great, but my love for them has only grown deeper with every year. If I was to pray, I would thank God every night for The Beatles. The Beatles every night for God.

My Charts at http://www.besteveralbums.com/usercharts.php?u=27982

My Radio Show at http://www.facebook.com/tender.wmbr
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 01/21/2015 03:56
  • Post subject:
I find most of their stuff completely disposable (not from the annals of history, but at least from my iPod), and the rare album I like front to back is typically nothing absolutely essential to me. I don't think this reflects on some like objective quality of The Beatles or something but

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Silver

• Posted: 01/21/2015 05:17
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
I find most of their stuff completely disposable (not from the annals of history, but at least from my iPod), and the rare album I like front to back is typically nothing absolutely essential to me. I don't think this reflects on some like objective quality of The Beatles or something but

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You have a wonderful capacity to every once in a while post something I agree with word for word.
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 01/21/2015 13:06
  • Post subject:
dmercado wrote:

Plenty of other artists have put up a good fight for this spot (Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Radiohead) but no one has as many game-changing songs and albums as The Beatles have. Between them and Dylan popular music got accelerated to unprecedented heights in a ridiculously short amount of time. I've spent some time listening to music released pre-1963 and it's only allowed me to appreciate what they did even more. At some points I've wanted to believe that it's all a bunch of hype and they're really not all that great, but my love for them has only grown deeper with every year. If I was to pray, I would thank God every night for The Beatles. The Beatles every night for God.

Yeah, their innovative nature is even more striking when you're familiar with pre-1963 music (at least pre-'63 pop and rock'n'roll music). Unprecedented indeed. I can't get enough of them. A fair share of their solo works is pretty great too.
  • Visit poster's website
LAF2

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2015 01:19
  • Post subject:
I'd say the hover around 3rd for me. Really strong studio discography, which plays heavily into my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website