Album of the day (#1402): Rid Of Me by P.J. Harvey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:04
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Limbo and their second self-titled were pretty clean and crisp by Throwing Muses' standards.

I'll check them both out this week. I'd heard bad things about Limbo so never got around to checking it out.

btw, I think my wife will LOVE Neko Case so I'll turn her on to that as well when I get back home. Very Happy
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:07
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Limbo and their second self-titled were pretty clean and crisp by Throwing Muses' standards.

i'd pick Limbo as another good starting point. i love the second self-titled disc, but i've always felt a little so-so on the production... i find the sound a bit muddy, and when i listen to it i end up adjusting the equalization on whatever music player i'm using. but it's a great batch of songs, and i loved having Tanya's backing vocals back in the mix.
  • Visit poster's website
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:15
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
I'll check them both out this week. I'd heard bad things about Limbo so never got around to checking it out.

Red Heaven's also good if you haven't heard it. it was the first Muses album without Tanya Donelly, and their first as a three-piece band, so i think some fans were a bit ambivalent about it at the time. there was a limited version that included a solo acoustic set by Kristin that set the stage for Hips and Makers...at the time it was really interesting to hear Muses songs transposed into an acoustic setting.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:24
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:
Red Heaven's also good if you haven't heard it. it was the first Muses album without Tanya Donelly, and their first as a three-piece band, so i think some fans were a bit ambivalent about it at the time. there was a limited version that included a solo acoustic set by Kristin that set the stage for Hips and Makers...at the time it was really interesting to hear Muses songs transposed into an acoustic setting.

What are your favorite Hersh solo albums? I LOVE Hips & Makers and Sunny Border Blue, but that's all I have.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2014 16:30
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
What are your favorite Hersh solo albums? I LOVE Hips & Makers and Sunny Border Blue, but that's all I have.

Hips and Makers is the best she's done solo, I started with The Grotto which for me (at the time) was underwhelming and I wrote her solo work off for longer than I probably should have if I should even have at all. At this point I also like Strange Angels, Sunny Border Blue, Sky Motel, and Murder, Misery and Then Goodnight and I'm going to check out 2010's Crooked soonish. This whole conversation got me into a Hersh mood so I'll probably listen to Hips within the hour lol.
  • Visit poster's website
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2014 17:01
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:

those are my two favorites Smile to me they are well ahead of the rest. although kristin's never done anything i dislike, i don't find myself listening to the other solo albums very often.

after those, i'd probably choose Crooked and Strange Angels. The Grotto has tracks i really like, but it's not an album i ever play in its entirety. Sky Motel and Learn To Sing Like A Star are similar... there are tracks i like but i rarely listen to the whole thing.

i'd also recommend the "10-4 All" series, which her site describes as:

These are very special & unique, solo acoustic, live-to-tape versions of these songs, encompassing most of Kristin’s career. Each volume contains 12 or 13 songs in alphabetical order and are available in MP3 format.

and some of my favorite kristin music comes from her work with her newest band 50 Foot Wave... it's the punkier counterpart to her quieter solo work. my faves are the 50 Foot Wave EP and the Golden Ocean EP.

also, Throwing Muses released a series called The Seasons Sessions, which features the band recording stripped-down versions of 25 songs picked from across the whole Muses discography. i really love the collection, which can be downloaded for free here.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/29/2014 01:44
  • Post subject:
@philbutrin & Gowi: Have either you read Kristin Hersh's book "Rat Girl?" I've heard great things about it & thinking about picking it up. It's incredible how fresh & inventive their music still sounds. Nobody else really sounds like them. Easily some of the best American underground music in the 80s. House Tornado is sooo fucking underrated.
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2014 01:48
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
@philbutrin & Gowi: Have either you read Kristin Hersh's book "Rat Girl?" I've heard great things about it & thinking about picking it up. It's incredible how fresh & inventive their music still sounds. Nobody else really sounds like them. Easily some of the best American underground music in the 80s. House Tornado is sooo fucking underrated.

yes, i would definitely recommend Rat Girl (which has the title Paradoxical Undressing outside the US). it focuses on the year 1985 and tells the fascinating story of the early days of the Muses, including the onset of Kristin's songwriting, and the band's eventual signing to 4AD. the only thing i disliked about it was that it ended... i wanted to read more Smile

one additional note: the funny/frustrating thing was that i actually lived in Providence in the mid 80's, when the Muses were gigging at clubs around town. but at the time my musical tastes were very much top-40, so i had no idea they existed. looking back, i really wish i had taken advantage of the opportunity to see them in the early days!
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/29/2014 02:01
  • Post subject:
philbutrin wrote:

one additional note: the funny/frustrating thing was that i actually lived in Providence in the mid 80's, when the Muses were gigging at clubs around town. but at the time my musical tastes were very much top-40, so i had no idea they existed. looking back, i really wish i had taken advantage of the opportunity to see them in the early days!

Me too! Well, Warwick actually but close enough that I could bike to Thayer Street. I was only in junior high in the mid-80s, but once I got my license in the late 80s I started going to shows at The Rocket and AS220. Got to see Throwing Muses once, and they were awesome.

What were u doing in Providence? Providence ended up having a wicked cool music scene in the 90s when lived on the East side with kickass bands like Six Finger Satellite, Arab on Radar, Scarce, Lightning Bolt, etc.
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2014 02:04
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
What were u doing in Providence? Providence ended up having a wicked cool music scene in the 90s when lived on the East side with kickass bands like Six Finger Satellite, Arab on Radar, Scarce, Lightning Bolt, etc.

i was in college and totally not in touch with the local music scene, which i regret now. my only connection was that i worked with a guy who was in a band called Stained Rug Theory. i never saw them play, and i don't remember what their record sounded like, but knowing the guy, they were probably weird Smile
  • Visit poster's website