Separating the Art From the Artist.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
satiemaniac
  • Posted: 01/07/2015 22:23
  • Post subject:
Silver wrote:
You're going to have to enlighten me as to when Bowie committed a Spector-esque crime.

He took the virginity of a 13- or 14-year-old girl, Lori Maddox when he was 24 or 25.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 01/07/2015 22:30
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
He took the virginity of a 13- or 14-year-old girl, Lori Maddox when he was 24 or 25.

Oh wow :/

There really wasn't any famous british men in the 70's who didn't do something fucked up was there?
Silver
  • Posted: 01/07/2015 22:32
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

Can't say I had ever been aware of that before. I guess we learn something new each day.
goeie-oko

Netherlands
  • Posted: 01/08/2015 17:34
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

I thought jimmy page did that
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 01/08/2015 17:50
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
I thought jimmy page did that

Apparently, it was Bowie first. Then she and Page hooked up. She was a rather prolific groupie
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 01/09/2015 03:23
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:

EDIT: Yeah I should've done 5 seconds of looking into the case, and should've been way more careful in my wording. Sorry to everyone for what was really a gross statement on my part.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make

Last edited by benpaco on 01/09/2015 14:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac
  • Posted: 01/09/2015 11:11
  • Post subject:
Consent literally can't exist from a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD. The conception of sexuality by a person of that age is so skewed and just un-fucking-real. Pedophilia is pedophilia is pedophilia. It's not illegal because it's icky. It's illegal because it's fucking rape. Fucking 24 year olds should not be asking limo drivers to deliver CHILDREN to their hotel rooms to fuck them. It is fucking unconscionable and apologism for Bowie's fucking hedonistic, depraved actions is un-fucking-acceptable if you care about rape victims at fucking all.

EDIT: In Maddox's case specifically, she developed such delusions of grandeur and such acute Stockholm syndrome that she was TURNED ON and found it ROMANTIC that Jimmy Page LITERALLY (her words, his words, fucking bystanders' words) KIDNAPPED her from a club in the back of a car and told her to her face that he knew he would have her and then locked her up inside for three years until she was above the age of consent before they went public so he didn't face jailtime. The psychological trauma inflicted on this, again, CHILD, by David Bowie is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my fucking life and not being APPALLED by this story is fucking unreal and you can block me on BEA and never talk to me again if you think otherwise.
Graeme2

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 01/09/2015 11:38
  • Post subject:
Wish I'd not read this. Didn't jerry lee Lewis marry his 14 year old cousin or something similar? Nice. God knows what went on in the 70s entertainment industry. We are learning more every month it seems in the uk of the depths people sunk to back then, using the power of celebrity and fame to do as they wished. My girlfriend is reading a Bowie biog, just started. Wonder if it's in there.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 01/09/2015 14:48
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
The psychological trauma inflicted on this, again, CHILD, by David Bowie is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my fucking life and not being APPALLED by this story is fucking unreal and you can block me on BEA and never talk to me again if you think otherwise.

I agree. It's truly awful. The damages from statutory rape are often very much downplayed because of that iffy concept of consent. Is this specific act one of the most disgusting things I've heard in my life? No. The world is just so fucked up that this kind of pales in comparison to other atrocities, but is it still terrible? yes. Does it tarnish the image of Bowie? Absolutely.

I don't know if it was the drugs, the glamour, the power or what, but this period was a really ugly period for rock musicians.

and back to the subject of this thread, these acts don't really change my perception of the music of Bowie or Page. Just like I never stopped liking Michael Jackson's music since all of his allegations.

On the other hand, I never wanna see Bill Cosby on my tv screen ever again, and I find it difficult to watch movies by Woody Allen these days as much as I loved his work
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 01/09/2015 14:56
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
Consent literally can't exist from a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD. The conception of sexuality by a person of that age is so skewed and just un-fucking-real. Pedophilia is pedophilia is pedophilia. It's not illegal because it's icky. It's illegal because it's fucking rape. Fucking 24 year olds should not be asking limo drivers to deliver CHILDREN to their hotel rooms to fuck them. It is fucking unconscionable and apologism for Bowie's fucking hedonistic, depraved actions is un-fucking-acceptable if you care about rape victims at fucking all.

EDIT: In Maddox's case specifically, she developed such delusions of grandeur and such acute Stockholm syndrome that she was TURNED ON and found it ROMANTIC that Jimmy Page LITERALLY (her words, his words, fucking bystanders' words) KIDNAPPED her from a club in the back of a car and told her to her face that he knew he would have her and then locked her up inside for three years until she was above the age of consent before they went public so he didn't face jailtime. The psychological trauma inflicted on this, again, CHILD, by David Bowie is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my fucking life and not being APPALLED by this story is fucking unreal and you can block me on BEA and never talk to me again if you think otherwise.

I had a long, apologetic response to this, but my internet went down, so TL;DR:

1 Your input's too valuable to me to block you
2 I made poor assumptions on a case I knew nothing about
3 I should've clarified from the start that Bowie should've served jail time, all I was saying is that, in the scenario that somehow existed in my head, I could learn to forgive him if he actually rectified stuff, never did it again, helped charities for rape victims, etc. for the rest of his life.
4 Honestly I hate Page more than Bowie after that story. His story not only sounds way more intense, but now after doing some digging, it looks like there was another victim, one Cassandra Peterson.
5 The closest I'm going to come to defending my previous statement is that Watkins, in my mind, is still a far bigger scumbag than Bowie
6 I apologize if I came across as somehow defensive of a rapist or rapists in general, so to clarify my position, I've had people where one side lies about their age to be in a relationship with an older person (note that the gap was never that large, most that ever happened with was a 5 year gap in reality that I've seen), and that while the older person should've done more digging, it's forgivable. Takes some time, takes some proof, but it's forgivable. Had I taken the 5 seconds I should've taken to google this case, I'd've seen that this wasn't close the situation with Bowie.
7 I can't say I'll necessarily stop listening to Bowie outright but you've definitely change my perspective of him.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website