Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/19/2015 04:54
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
Wasn't acts like Afghan Whigs,Smashing Pumpkins,Jeff Buckley, Weezer kind of the second wave of that style,only that they incorporate various other genres to the "grunge sound".

Not really, no.
  • Visit poster's website
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2015 13:29
  • Post subject:
How would a second wave of grunge kill off artists like Meghan Trainor anyway? If it replaced anything, it would be the influx of synthesized alternative rock like Imagine Dragons and new Coldplay. Pop and rock audiences are usually pretty divided, so if you revolutionize one industry, the other won't really transform with it except that it now has different crossover possibilities. Evolution of music isn't just about the overall attitude of the world, it's also affected by the factors institutionalizing a respective genre's appeal towards a particular audience.

The first coming of grunge demonstrates this perfectly. It had virtually no effect on the pop scene, which was dominated by balladry, hip hop, and new jack swing since the late '80s. It was only the hair metal and other carefree radio rock groups that became truly obsolete after Seattle stormed upon MTV. It would take a 1 2 3 and to the 4 and Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre knocking on the door to truly impact mainstream pop and make it more rebellious. Even then, it really only helped build upon an already-established template rather than flip the dominant genre inside out, as grunge did to glam metal.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/19/2015 14:50
  • Post subject:
Meghan Trainor > grunge
JMan

• Posted: 02/19/2015 16:49
  • Post subject:
newbands1 wrote:
Wasn't acts like Afghan Whigs,Smashing Pumpkins,Jeff Buckley, Weezer kind of the second wave of that style,only that they incorporate various other genres to the "grunge sound".

Jeff Buckley? All I said was people this days are more into stupid pop music than grunge, but you're actually claiming that Jeff Buckley was a second wave of grunge?

It was hard to incorporate other genres to grunge since it took influence from so many genres.

RYM wrote:
Grunge is a genre of Rock music which emerged from the mid-1980s Seattle scene, fusing elements of Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, and Punk Rock.

Grunge was very well experimented on during it's time, but by so few bands that weren't assigned to the more popular labels, so grunge never became as popular as it could've been. As mentioned before in this thread, Grunge was as much about the location as it was the music, and the world wasn't Seattle. So grunge ended being nearly exclusively popular in Seattle when it comes to those many bands that were assigned to small labels. Sub Pop still only has 3 platinum albums after 3 decades, Bleach (Nirvana than singed on to DGC), Flight of the Concords, and Give Up by The Postal Service. Whereas most grunge bands were singed to Sub Pop, some were assigned to many other small time labels like Glitterhouse, Bang, C/Z, Cruz, and more. TMost never got assigned to major labels, and popularity and promotion was not as heavy as those who were assigned to major labels like AiC (Columbia) or Soundgarden (A&M) or Pearl Jam (Epic).
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
If so it will be a lot different. I don't really see any reason to think there will be one but hey you never know what's gonna catch on these days.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2015 20:26
  • Post subject:
i feel the last 2 cloud nothing albums have the drive and angst of grunge. The last Local H album felt a bit grungy as well.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2015 22:24
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
i feel the last 2 cloud nothing albums have the drive and angst of grunge.

Kind of. but they also sound pretty pop punk.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/19/2015 22:37
  • Post subject:
Grunge died along with Kurt Cobain. Sorry to break it to you, grunge is never coming back. Post-Grunge is just lack-lustre alt-rock that the only thing resembling grunge is that the vocalist constantly rips off Eddie Vedder. Any other band candidates for a "second wave" is just not possible and it probably didn't cross their minds that they'd end up being a Nirvana cover band, instead of actually being themselves. They may have been a Generation X kid, but that doesn't mean they stuck by those traditions.
JMan

• Posted: 02/19/2015 23:02
  • Post subject:
denmarkman wrote:
If so it will be a lot different. I don't really see any reason to think there will be one but hey you never know what's gonna catch on these days.

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, I'd like if a second wave incorporated more elements of post-hardcore, with a little bit of shoegaze production. A good example of an artist/band like this is Tideland. That would make a cool "grunge revival."
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2015 23:22
  • Post subject:
I think of grunge as anything coming out of Seattle that looks like it hasn't showered in a week or so. It helps if it's got a chip on its shoulder. In a sense, grunge never really died.

As has been said a billion times already, there isn't really a grunge "sound" so much because grunge was defined by its demographic/fashion/worldview as much as it was by what the music sounded like.