The King of Limbs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Johnny Flynn

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 21:02
  • Post subject:
I would agree the first half just sounds like Thome Yorke solo work done with Radiohead as his backing band. Though I would say Little by Little and Bloom are both good.
The second 4 cuts of this album however are excellent. Really, really like Codex and Lotus Flower. Give up the Ghost is probably my initial favorite cut on the LP.
I personally don't have a problem with shorter run times and less songs as long as they are good. (I think a lot of albums/bands would benefit from shorter albums personally.) Of course it would also be easier to take the shorter time if you are releasing an album a little quicker than once every 4 years too.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/18/2011 21:30
  • Post subject:
Well, I listened to this album with an open mind. My conclusion about this album is that it is

CAAAARRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAP d'oh!

This is nothing but pompas noise Mad

I just don't understand all you Radioheaders Brick wall

I no longer wish to participate in any Beatles vs Radiohead discussions Shame on you

And to think I wasted 5 minutes of my life watching Lotus Flower with Thom Yorke going into convulsions Embarassed

But I feel even worse for this washed up band who wasted 4 years of their lives concocting this worthless, nonsensical, piece of rubbish Eh?

As for all the people who praise Radiohead as the greatest band of all time I no longer just think that you are very wrong. I now pitty you Sad

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/18/2011 21:51
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Well, I listened to this album with an open mind. My conclusion about this album is that it is

I no longer wish to participate in any Beatles vs Radiohead discussions Shame on you

And to think I wasted 5 minutes of my life watching Lotus Flower with Thom Yorke going into convulsions Embarassed

But I feel even worse for this washed up band who wasted 4 years of their lives concocting this worthless, nonsensical, piece of rubbish Eh?

As for all the people who praise Radiohead as the greatest band of all time I no longer just think that you are very wrong. I now pitty you Sad

GARY I pity you for having such a basic concept of what music can be.
Johnny Flynn

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2011 22:02
  • Post subject:
It really pains me to know I disagree with Gary about Radiohead.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/18/2011 22:37
  • Post subject: How I Learned to Stop Worrying, and Love Radiohead
Hmmm, haven't been here in a while.

(not much music worth talking about for so very long)

Having loved Radiohead from the start, I'm now used to the fact that they keep performing 'crazy Ivans' at every turn, just to see if they can shake off a few fans they might have picked up along the way from previous albums... like they are saying "how about if we do this- ha ha!!!!... see, you weren't expecting that were you?! Nobody expects the Radiohead inquisition!"

But, perhaps masochistically, I rather look forward to the first play of a new Radiohead album for just that very reason, the first hint of new and alien sounds that confound attempts to predict what might issue forth next, and it's a very long time since I was genuinely surprised by anything any band has produced (all getting a little samey)

But to this album, I would call it Radiohead's 'stoner album', it doesn't bludgeon you in your chair or blow you're shoes off llike hearing Paranoid android for the first time, or insist upon itself (to borrow a turn of phrase from Family Guy).

No, this is Radiohead after a heavy session in the wee small hours in the living room loose and relaxed, twiddling, noodling and making an album to be heard almost passively in similar conditions when all the world is asleep, rather than listened to in the active sense.

I listened in the confort of the living room about an hour ago, head resting on the back of the sofa looking at the ceiling, and just closed my eyes and drifted into it.

subtle, is the word I'd use to describe it. Subtle.
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/18/2011 23:03
  • Post subject:
Postscript:

Just listened to Codex again, and for a moment thought it was 4 minute warning opening.

Much as it pains me to say, perhaps they are in danger of begining to tread water or cover the same ground again, which is not what they are really about. But where do they go from here? Having covered all the angles and left a good looking corpus, dare I say that they should consider winding up now, and leaving an (in my opinion) unblemished legacy, rather thatn risk tarnishing a great reputation as others have done when they did not know when to quit.

I couldn't bare the thought of Radiohead becoming a travelling circus like the rolling stones when the fire's gone, or ratcheting out another album per week like Elton John of disposable lift music.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/18/2011 23:58
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

GARY I pity you for having such a basic concept of what music can be.

Speak to the hand

• Visit poster's website
Cryptozoologist

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 00:15
  • Post subject:
I would say that is is about as good as Amnesiac, maybe a bit better. Unfortunately, it doesn't beat any of the other super 6, and sometimes I feel like it's a collection of b-sides. I'm on my second listen, though, and it's definitely a grower.

But, 4 years = 37 minutes? Seriously?
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/19/2011 00:20
  • Post subject:
The album isn't so bad if you look at it for what it really is.

ELEVATOR MUSIC

• Visit poster's website
Cryptozoologist

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2011 00:48
  • Post subject:
[quote="GARY"]The album isn't so bad if you look at it for what it really is.

[b][size=18][/size]ELEVATOR MUSIC[/b][/quote]

Go fuck yourself.
  • Visit poster's website