To Pimp A Butterfly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 04:42
  • Post subject:
This album completely swept me off my feet. The songs that focused on depression hit me hard. u especially. Although Kendrick and I have completely different pasts and stories, dealing with depression is always something I can sympathize with on an album. It certainly is a soft spot for me. And I know some people want to keep personal things away when listening to an album, but I just think that should be part of the experience, you know?

Also, I want to be the billionth person to agree that the production is great. I always love funk/soul music since I grew up with that kind of music in my house.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 04:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
The only time I've ever felt this was with MBDTF, but nevertheless, it's relatable.

At the end of the day, I'm just super happy that this wasn't a flop.. which I kinda thought it would be after the singles Embarassed Such a shame that song he performed on Colbert wasn't on it.. It would of fit fantastically.

This could possibly be the best album since Good Kid Maad City though, which is interesting. He's really proved he's on top of the game with this album.

Anyway, I could see a p4k 10 happening, but I'm predicting a 9.6

Def gotta give it more spins in the next few days.

Yeah. I didn't come into My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy until the buzz was starting to die down, but I do remember how huge that album was, especially critically.

Oh yeah. I was super nervous, since GK,MC is so amazing. In fact, I stayed away from singles until "King Kunta" dropped. When I heard that, I was a bit happy that at least one song on the album would be great. But nope. Kendrick surpassed expectations.

Anyway, I'm starting to like this better as an album than GK,MC, just because it has such large scope. That said, I don't think there's anything else like GK,MC. Also, I've had a few years with that album, and I've had this less than two days.

The P4K 10 could happen, but I'm not banking on it. Lowest they'll go is 8.8. I'll settle on 9.8. They've named every single, with the exception of "i", a Best New Track. This is socially relevant. It is extremely different than anything else in hip hop. It is conceptual. It's Kendrick Lamar. They're going to love it one way or another.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 04:50
  • Post subject:
On track 2 of my first listen. First track was alright I guess but nothing special. This one seems much cooler.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 04:51
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:

They've named every single, with the exception of "i", a Best New Track.

In all fairness, they probably did this because they were unsure how to approach it Laughing They later named it one of the years best tracks.
CubaZed
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 05:10
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
In all fairness, they probably did this because they were unsure how to approach it Laughing They later named it one of the years best tracks.

Yeah pitchfork tends to go back on itself a lot. Didn't they give Chandelier by Sia a BNT only for it not to make the top 100 year end?
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 05:35
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
Yeah pitchfork tends to go back on itself a lot. Didn't they give Chandelier by Sia a BNT only for it not to make the top 100 year end?

Yeah. I think if you search BEA far enough back to when the year-end-lists were being made, I predicted it as their #1 of the year Embarassed Woops.
craola
crayon master

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 05:51
  • Post subject:
I remember thinking Kanye's Twisted Fantasy was really cool when it first dropped, but once the hype had died down a little, I realized I didn't like it at all really.

In fairness- and I'm trying to make an honest assessment about myself here- my relationship with hip-hop as a whole is a lot like Pitchfork's relationship with metal. I really want to like it more than I do. I can recognize something as good, but it rarely charts. I find hip-hop enjoyable, but nothing from the genre has a very lasting impact on me, and maybe that's because I'm from a part of the US that's culturally segregated from the hip-hop scene.

Enter Kendrick Lamar. I first listened to Good Kid Maad City late last year, and it hit me on a deep emotional level, and it's been growing on me ever since. I gave To Pimp A Butterfly a listen earlier this evening and hot damn.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 06:19
  • Post subject:
OK, first note - I don't like GKMC. Sorry. It's the reason I don't really talk about it or him. Just kind of annoying. Respect for the lyrics but it just ... not my thing.

This is incredible, and not at all overhyped. I think it'll be #4 of the year for me, near the bottom of my overall. Not the best album I've ever heard, but top 10 hip-hop albums I've heard probably. Unfortunately still love Tetuso more at the moment, but I'll be revisiting both, obviously.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 06:38
  • Post subject:
ShaneSpear wrote:
It's a crime if it doesn't go full blown 10. There's nothing here as cringe worthy as Chris Rock's feature.

That Chris Rock feature is honestly my favourite moment on that album.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States
  • Posted: 03/18/2015 06:48
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
That Chris Rock feature is honestly my favourite moment on that album.

Oh gosh, what an ugly moment. I don't mean that as a bad thing either. I feel many things for Kanye West, many of which are quite favorable, but I feel legitimately sorry for him when that sketch plays. I mean, I don't know if it's true or not, but my heart seriously goes out when Christ Rock does his thing. I'm getting nauseated just thinking about how hard it is to listen to that part.