Cashew Milk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 16:01
  • Post subject:
All really interesting points, especially about the wolves not being able to make the judgement on whether the cow senses fear and so on, but I find myself struggling to agree. I'm not sure it's our duty to protect animals because we've developed empathy, just that we should show animals both respect in life and death. When I see passionate chefs cook with meat that's butchered by a trained butcher, I see respect towards the animal. As highly intelligent animals, I think our purpose has gone beyond being the hunter and the hunted, whereas a cow's purpose in my eyes is to be produce. We should respect it's life, but it's still bred to be produce.

I think culturally meat consumption has gone far too far. I often suggest to people that one shouldn't eat meat if they wouldn't be willing to kill the animal, and I feel like that connection between the fear and the pain the animal feels and the actual meat we eat is too distant in our culture.

But I'm going off milk a bit, I probably need to educate myself more surrounding how cows are treated when milked, and whether it's a stressful environment. I know it's obviously not 'taking daisy out to the field sitting on a stool with a bucket and having a few pulls', but I admit I'm ignorant of the process.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 16:13
  • Post subject:
I honestly couldn't give a fuck about the animals involved, but we need to cut down on meat consumption on a global scale due to it's massive environmental impact. Of course most of us don't wanna stop eating meat, which is why we gotta find artificial substitutes that taste the same.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/05/2015 16:24
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
But I'm going off milk a bit, I probably need to educate myself more surrounding how cows are treated when milked, and whether it's a stressful environment. I know it's obviously not 'taking daisy out to the field sitting on a stool with a bucket and having a few pulls', but I admit I'm ignorant of the process.

Really depends on the size of the farm but the most stressful part of it for the cows is generally going in and out of the parlour, aside from that they're fed while being milked and most of them don't even take any notice of the machine (the only trouble seems to be the younger ones that are new to the routine but they get the hang of it after awhile), dairy cattle generally need to be milked twice a day for most of the year so most of them just queue up automatically to get in and it doesn't bother them, dairy breeds get pretty stressed out if they're not milked.

• Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 17:06
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
When I see passionate chefs cook with meat that's butchered by a trained butcher, I see respect towards the animal.

What the fuck? Laughing

Puncture Repair wrote:
As highly intelligent animals, I think our purpose has gone beyond being the hunter and the hunted, whereas a cow's purpose in my eyes is to be produce. We should respect it's life, but it's still bred to be produce.

Ummm, purpose?
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 17:20
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
Ummm, purpose?

Yeah I knew this was a bit of a fluffy term, especially coming from an aethiest. I get humans have no actual 'purpose', but I believe humans ultimately have the greatest potential to further develop themselves and evolve. Sure we don't want cows to be extinct, but having placed ourselves at the top of the food chain, I don't see a problem with farming animals to benefit our needs just as we've manipulated atomic elements and medicine for the same reasons.

Quote:
What the fuck? Laughing

I don't see what doesn't make sense about that or why it deserves mocking. I can see how you'd disagree, but I stand by it.
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 18:19
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

I think culturally meat consumption has gone far too far. I often suggest to people that one shouldn't eat meat if they wouldn't be willing to kill the animal, and I feel like that connection between the fear and the pain the animal feels and the actual meat we eat is too distant in our culture.

I agree with this. I have always felt that most meateaters have a gross disconnect between meat and animal.

I would take it a step further and say people that shouldn't eat meat if they haven't gone hunting or fishing. Its easy to say that people are fine with killing animals for meat but doing it is a different story.

mainstream society losing Hunting as a right of passage has really fucked up people perception of natural order

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 18:28
  • Post subject:
why do i need to be emotionally connected to an animal in order to eat it
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 18:34
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
why do i need to be emotionally connected to an animal in order to eat it

because it was a living thing, dont be a sociopath brah

If you want i can take you goose hunting in the fall...

Last edited by bongritsu on 04/05/2015 18:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 18:43
  • Post subject:
do you think about the life of every animal youre about to eat or how does this work?

I have honestly never had the desire to hunt. ive fished tho so that counts right
  • Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada
  • Posted: 04/05/2015 18:50
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
do you think about the life of every animal youre about to eat or how does this work?

Nah I just pull out some hail marys before i slug back 2 pounds of wings

I just think people should know what goes into meat. Keeps you grounded.

sorry its kind of hard to audibilize

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website