How long it took for you to reach 5000 points?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 01:37
  • Post subject:
Quote:

I can't for the life of me see how that's a "thorough logical beat-down". Dark-haired girl just comes across to me as a defensive language-hating hypocrite. When she describes language as "glorious chaos", it implies a passion for its expressive nature, but this is undermined by her unwillingness to improve the quality of her words.

The nail in the coffin for me is dark-haired girl's implication that light-haired girl is the pretentious one in the conversation. There's nothing about light-haired girl's comment that even remotely suggests that she's "trying to show off". She's probably horrified by the diarrhea that just dribbled out of her friend's mouth and dismayed that the education system failed her friend so badly. Maybe I'm projecting, but "I could care less" is a really unpleasant sequence of words. There is no excuse for anyone to ever say it.

Also, the idea of watering language down to "knowing what I mean" is a depressing thought. You yes know how this sentence means correctly, but it's a gross sentence. "You never know for sure what any words will mean to anyone" is simply a cop out.

Okay, I thought this was just playful bantering (I laughed at your original response to alel), but if we want to be serious...

This relates to a much broader pet peeve that I have about the internet and real-life conversations with very rigid people. Just because you see someone say something that you think is incorrect doesn't mean you should openly correct the person, especially if that something is very minor. I've met a lot of intelligent people who, for whatever reason, act as if conversations occur within a social vacuum. Part of the reason grammar nazis are so annoying is that their decision to confront someone over something minor immediately creates a (*gasp*) confrontational atmosphere. Aside from the fact that it gives the corrector a completely undeserved air of superiority (yay, you've learned to apply a small grammatical rule in a constantly evolving language), it's also a really shitty way to learn. Even in small children, there's often nothing gained from openly correcting their language mistakes because until they learn the context for grammatical rules, an individual correction is largely meaningless to them. Considering how little control my son already has over his life, the last thing he needs is for me to go in and try to micromanage his word choices.

That's why I think the comic Jhereko... I mean, ugh, Wombi... linked is funny. Yeah, dark-haired girl's speech is pretentious, but that's the point. Ponytail girl has already played the know-it-all card, so dark-haired girl is responding in kind, only much more effectively. Also, it's a comic. It's not the speech that we would actually give in real life, it's just the one we (or I) want to give.

Finally, "I could care less" sounds better to me than "I couldn't care less," even though it makes no literal sense. And it's obvious what she means, so I don't see it as a bad thing. Considering your subjectivist stance on music, I find it strange that you seem to be invoking objective standards of beauty to words and phrases.
PanduArya
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 03:09
  • Post subject:
This topic has turned into a "A Rough Discussion about English Grammar" thread

Applause Applause Applause
FlorianJones

United States
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 06:27
  • Post subject:
I've been on here for a while and I'm still not at 2500, so currently my power ends at decade charts, but I'm not too far off from year charts. Custom charts still seem like an eternity away.
PanduArya
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 07:01
  • Post subject:
TannerVHalv wrote:
I've been on here for a while and I'm still not at 2500, so currently my power ends at decade charts, but I'm not too far off from year charts. Custom charts still seem like an eternity away.

WTH!!! You're almost 1.5 years here and still haven't got 2500 points??? I only joined for 73 days so far but I have already got about 3500 points... You should do some moderation
FlorianJones

United States
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 07:13
  • Post subject:
PanduArya wrote:
WTH!!! You're almost 1.5 years here and still haven't got 2500 points??? I only joined for 73 days so far but I have already got about 3500 points... You should do some moderation

I'm not super active. I would like to help by adding albums for mod points more, but it's not very common that I want to add an album to a chart that's not in the database since my music tastes aren't very obscure. Also my forum activity only started a few months ago and it's been sporadic.
Wombi
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 09:08
  • Post subject:
I can't really put it any better than Sp4ce did. I have to admit Dave, it's unusual for you to want such strict conventions around...anything.

But I will just say that though Mathematics can be equated to a language that by no logical extension means that language is mathematical in nature. It's far more fluid and if we were to get our backs up every time someone said something not exactly 'correct' we wouldn't have colloquialisms or in fact any made up words at all. Literall Wink .

I think most of us are pretty well educated (at least based on the way we articulate ourselves) so I don't think using a single phrase incorrectly would be in any way indicative of generalised ignorance. That's why I loved the comic because it's poking fun at people who think they've got a 'one up' in an argument simply because they recognised a grammatical "error" even when everything else the person stated (like the actual content, for example) is on point.
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 09:28
  • Post subject:
Totally agree with everyone's points on grammar.

On points, I 'farmed' a good few thousand from simply taking an hour out my day browsing the 'New Releases' section and adding missing information. You not only increase your total score, but also increase your 'mod points' which upgrades you to Data Moderator, and along the way you're helping tidy the website up.

ez points
Wombi
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 09:35
  • Post subject:
Exclamation Question Don't know why I would have quoted myself

Last edited by Wombi on 09/13/2015 09:58; edited 1 time in total
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 09:57
  • Post subject:
Quote:
"I could care less"

Actually one of my pet peeves since we're on the subject.

However, to put my “pretentious” glasses on for a second; why is it so confrontational to correct somebody? Did you guys take lectures, lessons, and instructions as some inherent antagonistic condescension? Really? When I’m corrected I don’t puff my cheeks like I’ve been offended as if someone just talked down to me or was being outwardly offensive towards my character. Not every “grammar nazi” (which as a term I am offended by, by the way) is this elitist and patronizing asshole who just wants to devalue an entire conversation based on incorrect grammar and phrasing. Some people do it in earnest with no villainous intent. When I correct people with grammar it’s matter-of-fact not me talking down to them and I resent the insinuation that suggests otherwise. I also highly disagree it’s a “shitty” way to learn because I’ve learned by it many times in my life. A slight realization of incorrect phrasing is fine but maybe I’m crazy. It’s weird, for how you guys criticize me for being this white knight lawful good over-sensitive neurotic of a character your sentiment sure seems far more over-sensitive and counter intuitive to constructive criticism in its most simple and innocent form.

Just my two cents.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 09/13/2015 12:21
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

why is it so confrontational to correct somebody? Did you guys take lectures, lessons, and instructions as some inherent antagonistic condescension? Really? When I’m corrected I don’t puff my cheeks like I’ve been offended as if someone just talked down to me or was being outwardly offensive towards my character. Not every “grammar nazi” (which as a term I am offended by, by the way) is this elitist and patronizing asshole who just wants to devalue an entire conversation based on incorrect grammar and phrasing. Some people do it in earnest with no villainous intent. When I correct people with grammar it’s matter-of-fact not me talking down to them and I resent the insinuation that suggests otherwise. I also highly disagree it’s a “shitty” way to learn because I’ve learned by it many times in my life. A slight realization of incorrect phrasing is fine but maybe I’m crazy. It’s weird, for how you guys criticize me for being this white knight lawful good over-sensitive neurotic of a character your sentiment sure seems far more over-sensitive and counter intuitive to constructive criticism in its most simple and innocent form.

Just my two cents.

....Dang, I actually now agreed with Gowie more than anyone else in this thread. (There's probably something wrong with that sentence grammatically but idgaf)

Grammar is like political correctness. We all say offensive things every once in a while, and that's fine. But you can't just give up on reaching those ideals just because you're criticized. When you claim to be the victim by being corrected for those things, and ignore that smart criticism, you're being much crummier a person than you even accused them of being.
  • Visit poster's website