What r the 10 "most important" College Rock albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Satie

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:15
  • Post subject:
Yeah, the only reason I asked for clarification was that I've always been given the impression that it was a specifically American phenomenon since all the British post-punk stuff sounded really different. But thanks for the explanations. Also, I'm frustrated with myself for not thinking of TMBG.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:25
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
Yeah, the only reason I asked for clarification was that I've always been given the impression that it was a specifically American phenomenon since all the British post-punk stuff sounded really different. But thanks for the explanations. Also, I'm frustrated with myself for not thinking of TMBG.

I personally equate it more with American stuff, but I think there's definitely outside bands that crossed over.

The whole college rock era also aligns really well with the birth of CMJ (College Music Journal). Anyone who's ever worked at a college radio station would be familiar with it. CMJ started in 78, but didn't really get going until the early 80s. The basis of CMJ was/is collecting the chart data of all of the college radio stations around the country.

And the CMJ Music Marathon was launched in 1981 as a platform for college radio djs and journalists to discover up and coming bands in the days before the internet changed that significantly.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:50
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
I've never viewed the Stone Roses as proto Brit-pop to be honest. They along with Happy Monday's were born more from the Acid House explosion of the late 80's 'Indie Dance' was the term I believe before the term 'baggy' was used. The crop of British bands of the 90's looked towards the likes of Wire, XTC, The Jam, Madness, Buzzcocks, Small Faces and Kinks for their inspiration. The Stone Roses were seen as quite uncool by 1993.

Also don't think 'counterpart' is the right word to describe Britpop in relation to grunge as it came about as a reaction to the fag end of grunge, a reclaiming of British identity in music. I think proto Britpop would without doubt be The Manic Street Preachers with the New Art Riot EP (1990), Suede (1992), The Auteurs first single (1992) and possibly Adorable (1992).

The first real sign of the reaction to American Rock was without doubt Blur's call to arms 'Modern Life is Rubbish'. From here we then get the first small scene 'New Wave of New Wave' (Smash, These Animal Men even Sarah indie poppers Action Painting! were all punk posturing on their single Mustard Gas).

From there it exploded with Oasis, Supergrass, Elastica, Parklife etc

Regards to the term College Rock, I have always been under the impression that it was what you guys called Indie. Here in the UK the term indie was too broad and got in a right sticky situation when Kyle Minogue, Rick Astley were constantly top of the indie chart. College Rock is a far better term to describe all the bands listed in this thread.

I knew about the britpop/grunge "rivalry," if that's a better term for it. I considered using the term "British reaction to" but that felt like it was centering grunge too much. Perhaps that was more accurate, going by what you're saying. At any rate, that bit about the Stone Roses at the top is a perspective that I haven't really gotten from I guess potentially revisionist histories/genre classifications on the subject, and the Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley bit is something funny I hadn't ever heard. Thanks for helping me understand all that.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/29/2015 16:39
  • Post subject:
Excuse me, what do you call 'college rock'?
  • Visit poster's website
philbutrin
gaze at my shoes!

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 16:52
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:

Hunkpapa by Throwing Muses

Gowi wrote:

Throwing Muses (1986) by Throwing Muses

i'm happy to see these get thrown into the mix Smile although Hunkpapa got more listening when i was in college/grad school, i'd probably pick the debut for the top 10.
  • Visit poster's website