Best Ever Movies (2015 Edition)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/01/2016 19:56
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
so against the general grain that it's a "love it or hate it" kind of movie like Antichrist or Under the Skin that regular people just don't understand.

Anyways yeah just taking a guess a "worst movie" list mostly be split into a "look-how-edgy-I-am" contrarian, Most Overrated list (sorry for the cyncism) and The Room. Don't really know what it'll accomplish.

And yeah probably best to hold off on another general Best Movies poll as we already seem to have a bunch already lined up, but do what you want even if participation may be a bit lower.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 20:13
  • Post subject:
I might recommend doing something a little different. Let Hayden keep running the "best movies" lists and maybe shoot for actors, actresses, directors, film composers...

And I'm not sure what all the weird looks meant... By regular people I guess I'm generalizing based on the fact that I live in a very uncultured area or America where everyone's taste is pretty much the same. The only people I know that know half as much as anyone here about movies or music is because they've known me for so long that I've influenced their taste. It's pretty sad that I don't know anyone personally that has the ability to recommend anything decent to me.

Example: I had a teacher back in high school who asked the class what their favorite movie is. I remember being disgusted when the valedictorian of my class said "A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" because of its awesome special effects. Proof that even the smartest people in my town have shit taste. We had a Green Day song as our class song.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 03/01/2016 20:37
  • Post subject:
if only the plebes could come to understand the incredibly lofty genius of Kind of Blue, one of the most intellectually stimulating and inaccessible works of art to ever be made. your life sounds like a living hell, badseed, surrounded by nincompoops who couldn't be trusted to decipher the brilliance of the latest Pitchfork 9.3 or Scarlett Johansson film. cruel, cruel world!
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 20:56
  • Post subject:
But... I've always liked Idiocracy unironically Sad
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:01
  • Post subject:
IMDB? Really?
Satie

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:02
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
IMDB? Really?

You know, where the extremely cultivated and highbrow go for film information on things regular people wouldn't understand.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:05
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
Why do people intentionally seek out bad art when there's so much good art in the world yet to be discovered? Why would you spend 90 minutes masturbating about how above Idiocracy you are when you could spend 90 minutes with one of the literally thousands of wonderful films that exist in the world? I feel like it's really stupid to say that you learn about good movies by watching bad ones unless you're one of the incredibly few if any people on this board who has a working knowledge of all the great directors and eras of cinema as well as a solid grasp on contemporary world cinema. I have such a hard time finding time for movies, and I would completely loathe myself if I had missed a Marienbad or a Red Desert because I wanted to make sure that a direct-to-VHS Jim Belushi film was really as bad as I anticipated it being.

In the end I guess I'm talking less about "lel Paul Blart" and more about "you know Zaat is bad but something I still enjoyed watching and makes me appreciate horror films I did enjoy more because I can see how they did X Y and Z where Zaat failed" or "Getting That Girl is a (potentially intentionally) horrendous romantic comedy that makes me appreciate things like Perks of Being a Wallflower more because of how realistically it presents situations in comparison."

I know I still appreciate the movies I like without looking at the bad stuff, but I still personally get some enjoyment out of watching bad movies and in the end that's why I consume art. I'm not going to be a film expert or critic - honestly I don't have the patience for it - so my reason for watching movies really is just 100% for fun and I still get something out of a bad movie both in the appreciation I have for movies that handled it better and for the experience of watching the movie itself. I would be equally as chuffed to find a Plan Nine From Outer Space as I would a 7 or 8/10 movie.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:08
  • Post subject:
there's something to be said about getting high and riffing over hilariously shit movies with your friends I'll just say that
Satie

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:10
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
there's something to be said about getting high and riffing over hilariously shit movies with your friends I'll just say that

ok, but if someone's done this the hundreds of times that you would need to to coherently build a list of the Top 100 worst films you've ever seen by the age of like 18-20, their life has been super bleak, tbh.
undefined

• Posted: 03/01/2016 21:12
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
ok, but if someone's done this the hundreds of times that you would need to to coherently build a list of the Top 100 worst films you've ever seen by the age of like 18-20, their life has been super bleak, tbh.

I mean I could make a top 6 probably