Good Bye, Lenin!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2016 19:24
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:

I can agree that Metallica and Iron Maiden share some metalness, REM and Smiths share some indiepopness, while Minutemen and Dead Kennedys share some punkness, but these are just broad terms which do not explain a lot.

Yea, I mean to say that Iron Maiden and Metallica are the same is pretty odd. Iron Maiden is very very much NWOBHM and Metallica is very rooted in thrash. Aside from the fact that both are "metal" bands in the broad sense of the word, I wouldn't say they're that similar.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2016 21:04
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:

I can agree that Metallica and Iron Maiden share some metalness, REM and Smiths share some indiepopness, while Minutemen and Dead Kennedys share some punkness, but these are just broad terms which do not explain a lot.

For me the bands you mentioned are miles apart from each other, so it's no wonder you like one of them more than the other one.

Oh for sure... it's like saying I like people from Bavaria... well there's probably a lot of really cool people in Bavaria and a lot of assholes, just like anywhere else.

I guess I am asking myself, why is it I like one band more than the other. At their core they are a punk band... and the obvious thing is each artist is an individual in their own right... but I'm realizing that maybe my "prejudices aren't really grounded in any logic... just opinion. Which of course is ok... but the whatever in me wants to know why.

The wise person probably wouldn't give two shits.... only one... Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2016 21:09
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I wouldn't say that your list is much different from the BEA canon maybe except for the U2 bias maybe Very Happy

That's totally true. They have a soft spot for me. Although I'm very curious to see in black and white how the rest of the 80s compare.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/15/2016 00:23
  • Post subject:
Iron Maiden was more out of the Rainbow/Deep Purple/etc school of rock music, whilst Metallica took more influence from bands like Discharge/Motorhead/etc; so despite having hard rock as a base to go from they have little in common beyond that.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2016 01:03
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Iron Maiden was more out of the Rainbow/Deep Purple/etc school of rock music, whilst Metallica took more influence from bands like Discharge/Motorhead/etc; so despite having hard rock as a base to go from they have little in common beyond that.

Thanks! I think I have very little understanding when it comes to genre to be totally honest.

Is this like a known thing, or your opinion? I wouldn't know any better any way. But just curious.

While I do like Metallica metal more, the vocals/bass from Iron Maiden are much more interesting... but at their core, I've yet to have Iron Maiden really jive with my core. So I'm trying to understand why... I typically like things with more interesting bass, but in this case maybe it's the songwriting... I don't really know.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 04/15/2016 03:49
  • Post subject:
I studied the development of metal when I really “dived” into it and made allusions from what I heard— it isn’t entirely academic but also personal deductions. But a lot of traditional heavy metal did come from the hard rock scene of the early 70s and kind of went from there; starting from when Black Sabbath and Sir Lord Baltimore were called metal by the early press journalists. Also, yeah I did read somewhere once where Metallica cited Discharge and Motorhead; and you can hear both on Ride the Lightning.

But for a quick forray:

Link
- Bass gallops that eventually Iron Maiden took to the next level.

Link
- Discharge's riffwork and vitriol inspired Metallica.

I could dig up more if my laptop wasn't shit.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2016 03:55
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I studied the development of metal when I really “dived” into it and made allusions from what I heard— it isn’t entirely academic but also personal deductions. But a lot of traditional heavy metal did come from the hard rock scene of the early 70s and kind of went from there; starting from when Black Sabbath and Sir Lord Baltimore were called metal by the early press journalists. Also, yeah I did read somewhere once where Metallica cited Discharge and Motorhead; and you can hear both on Ride the Lightning.

Very cool, thanks. I learned something. Iron Maiden's vocals influenced by anything you know of or is it pretty unique? I was fairly impressed by that, even if the overall feel of the music wasn't my thing.

Also never heard those bands before, so thanks for sharing. Totally dig the bass tone from the Budgie's.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2016 04:04
  • Post subject:
I guess to go back to where I used the wrong words saying bands were at their core the same... I meant they were metal bands, indie pop bands, or punk bands... and they do at least share the larger genre label and therefore have a lot of core things that are similar. Maybe this is where I start respecting sub-genres finally hahahahaha.
  • Visit poster's website
Cojo7

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2016 04:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Maybe this is where I start respecting sub-genres finally hahahahaha.

Genres and even occasionally sub-genres don't even do a remotely good job at preparing one for the music, although I suppose that's a good thing.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 04/15/2016 15:49
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Gowi wrote:

Very cool, thanks. I learned something. Iron Maiden's vocals influenced by anything you know of or is it pretty unique? I was fairly impressed by that, even if the overall feel of the music wasn't my thing.

Also never heard those bands before, so thanks for sharing. Totally dig the bass tone from the Budgie's.

If memory serves (and wikipedia confirms) Dickinson was inspired by Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Elf), Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Arthur Brown (Kingdom Come), Peter Hammill (Van der Graaf Generator), and Ian Gillan (Deep Purple).

I mean you can hear traces of the influences depending on what works you look for:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website