Ratings out of five

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What rating scale would you like to see on BEA?
Out of 100 in increments of 5 (20 options) - current system
33%
 33%  [2]
Out of 100 in increments of 10 (10 options)
16%
 16%  [1]
Out of 5 in increments of 0.25 (20 options)
16%
 16%  [1]
Out of 5 in increments of 0.5 (10 options)
33%
 33%  [2]
Out of 5 in increments of 1 (5 options)
0%
 0%  [0]
Other - please share your thoughts
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 6

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/19/2011 14:32
  • Post subject:
There was a very interesting post on the YouTube blog a while back regarding this subject (the comments below the article are interesting too):

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2009...tings.html

The same thing is happening here and I expect everywhere else that uses a rating scale. In the end, YouTube made a decision to switch to a thumb up/down system and abandon their ratings altogether (not something BEA will do, but I'd definitely like to try and increase the spread of ratings here so that they are more meaningful.)
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2011 18:15
  • Post subject:
Yes people tend to politely vote only for what they like. One would expect BEA to be relatively skewed since the proposed albums are theoretically the greatest. Of course, there isn't full agreement and there tends to be a bipolar response (love/hate). Who wants to rate mediocrity?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/20/2011 16:07
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:

That's not a bad idea as it would also give some sort of standard for rating. As it is now 90 to someone is not the same thing as 90 to someone else. My ratings on the site look roughly as follows (putting it into words is necessary to make it anything other than a pointless number):

100 - Divine (the term works whether you believe in a divinity or not)
95 - Masterpiece
90 - Brilliant
85 - Excellent
80 - Great
75 - Very good
70 - Good
65 - Pretty good
60 - Alright
55 - Mediocre
50 - Bordering on bad (or at least highly uninteresting)
45 - Bad (or very highly uninteresting)
40 - Very bad
35 - Very, very bad
30 - Awfully bad
25 - Annoyingly bad
20 - Miserable
15 - Annoyingly miserable
10 - Complete crap
5 - Utterly, utterly useless piece of unbelievable junk (no album I rated ever got this low yet)

Does anybody else do something similar to Bork? I'm not sure what people think of this idea, but maybe we could come up with a collaborative list which we could use on the site to guide people when making ratings?

(just thinking of a tooltip or something which changes as you hover over each rating. I think this might help to give the ratings a bit more of a spread and maybe make them more consistent across different people.)
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2011 16:37
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Does anybody else do something similar to Bork? I'm not sure what people think of this idea, but maybe we could come up with a collaborative list which we could use on the site to guide people when making ratings?

(just thinking of a tooltip or something which changes as you hover over each rating. I think this might help to give the ratings a bit more of a spread and maybe make them more consistent across different people.)

I use a simple method:
85-100 - Great or Excellent
65-80 - Very good
45-60 - Good
20-40 - Fair
0-15 - Poor
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/20/2011 17:27
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure about this guide thingy.. Each person uses a different system and I don't think that telling them what their system should be would change their decisions.. I mean some people reserve their 100 rating only for their very favourites (overall 10-15 albums) while others use it much more frequently. Likewise the number of low ratings probably won't decrease.. I mean there's a guy here that literally votes either 100 or a 0 (most of the time), and I guess there are many people here that just don't bother thinking about how much they like a certain album (just whether they do or don't)...

As for me - I have a pretty high average rating for albums (80/100), but the reason is, that I don't bother listening to albums I know I'll probably hate (Lady Gaga, Brokencyde, stuff like that).. I mean there are some albums that I expect to like and I don't, but so far the lowest score I've given was a 55/100..
And the thing is, the albums here are supposed to be "the best ever", so they are mostly acclaimed, popular, etc. + there are some really horrible albums, mostly added for a joke; but there aren't many albums that are generaly considered "pretty bad" or "below average" - or at the very least, they're so low on the charts that most people don't see them and don't rate them.. Which might contribute to the way ratings are spread....

sorry for the long post, I can't help myself Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 06/20/2011 17:44
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I'm not sure about this guide thingy.. Each person uses a different system and I don't think that telling them what their system should be would change their decisions.. I mean some people reserve their 100 rating only for their very favourites (overall 10-15 albums) while others use it much more frequently. Likewise the number of low ratings probably won't decrease.. I mean there's a guy here that literally votes either 100 or a 0 (most of the time), and I guess there are many people here that just don't bother thinking about how much they like a certain album (just whether they do or don't)...

As for me - I have a pretty high average rating for albums (80/100), but the reason is, that I don't bother listening to albums I know I'll probably hate (Lady Gaga, Brokencyde, stuff like that).. I mean there are some albums that I expect to like and I don't, but so far the lowest score I've given was a 55/100..
And the thing is, the albums here are supposed to be "the best ever", so they are mostly acclaimed, popular, etc. + there are some really horrible albums, mostly added for a joke; but there aren't many albums that are generaly considered "pretty bad" or "below average" - or at the very least, they're so low on the charts that most people don't see them and don't rate them.. Which might contribute to the way ratings are spread....

sorry for the long post, I can't help myself Embarassed

I've rated about 800 albums with an average rating of 63.

It doesn't matter to me how it gets sliced such as a 3.15 or 6.3 etc.

So do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/20/2011 21:23
  • Post subject:
I have done 737 album ratings with an average album rating of 92/100. I don't rate or own albums that are less than 80/100. Sorry if I have skewed the results but as Thumper said in Bambi in 1942: “If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.”
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/20/2011 23:18
  • Post subject:
OK, points well made (thank you), so that idea won't be happening.

I still like the earlier idea of flagging/highlighting more obviously the albums with statistically high average ratings in a similar way that track-picks are already as I think something is missing to indicate more clearly how good an average rating is relative to other albums. I think that's something that could happen.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/20/2011 23:49
  • Post subject:
Naaah.

Keep it as it is Smile , i think it's great.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/28/2011 09:40
  • Post subject:
One of my pet peeves is seeing a great album rated 0 out of 100 and I'm seeing it a lot today d'oh!

Even the worst album in the world would deserve better than that.
  • Visit poster's website