The most annoying fanbase?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:04
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Definitely Beatles.
They think every thing that came from those guys is some sort of revelation or stroke of genius. Not even close to true. They were solid musicians, great innovators, and had a real knack for connecting with listeners, but the refusal to acknowledge their limitations and to prop up everything they've done whether worthy or not, is ridiculous. It surpasses all rational explanation.

In regards to those who think they "invented music", I would have to agree (they're obviously not all this way).

My favorite Beatles fan is one who has gone through a ton of Rock, Jazz, Classical and still values them, whether greatly, or (like me) somewhere in the middle, or otherwise. But, regardless of how much he/she loves or likes their music any longer, now sees them realistically in the context of a lot more music history.

From Piero Scaruffi...

(lmao ... poor piero Laughing Laughing Laughing hilarious to me, because he all but asked for it, but also because what he says is so true)

"Extended note from 2010. The Beatles were not a terribly interesting band, but their fans were and still are an interesting phenomenon. I can only name religious fundamentalists as annoying (and as threatening) as Beatles fans, and as persevering in sabotaging anyone who dares express an alternate opinion of their faith. They have turned me into some kind of Internet celebrity not because of the 6,000 bios that i have written, not because of the 800-page book that i published, not because of the 30 years of cultural events that i organized, but simply because i downplayed the artistic merits of the Beatles, an action that they consider as disgraceful as the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Jakub Krawczynski sent me this supportive comment in 2010:

I find it quite amusing that almost all of the Beatles songs have their own entries on Wikipedia (nothing wrong with that in itself, actually), even if they are not singles, and each of them is meticulously dissected as if there were transcendental suites exceeding human comprehension, yet bands like Faust or Red Krayola, etc. have biographies even shorter than just one article about any random Beatles song. Needless to say, none of their songs have any articles on them, yet I'm sure there would be a lot more to talk about. Moreover, if you had put any bad review of their album on the site with the intention to show the broader scope of opinions, you'd risk your "life" there, since such fanatics don't accept any single sign of trying to be objective. You are seen as public enemy number 1 to them. It is like your article is one giant cognitive dissonance to them and vandalizing your bio was the only way to reduce this dissonance."
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:18
  • Post subject:
As a note, I am well aware that it can go both ways... Cool It is not lost on me that, after so many conversations (both civil and argumentative) over the years, Beatlemaniacs often find myself, Scaruffi, and other so-called "Scaruffists" quite upsetting, I'm sure, at least in regards to our views of the merits of The Beatles.

Btw, my "favorite" Beatlemaniac of all time is good 'ol "fanofthefabfour" from listology.com. He is, without a doubt the greatest fan of all time (9.9/10). He used to come out of nowhere and jump into the middle of conversations about The Beatles and post literally endless pages of quotes and details about his favorite band -- just pages and pages of it, on and on and on. And he wasn't at all self-aware of how ridiculous and annoying he was -- just completely high-jacking entire threads in an onslaught of (sometimes ALL CAPS) evangelical speeches about their merits -- and he was completely serious. You can still run across him to this day around the internet (under different monikers), copying and pasting the same posts he flung at our threads, on other sites/message boards -- just completely f-ing up any conversation that was occurring before hand. I never fail to burst out laughing when I happen across his "work". He doesn't realize how much he is the trolling equivalent of Trout Mask Replica, while loudly despising the album Laughing He is on a mission, but doesn't realize no one is going to read his twenty pages of postings. It is simply amazing to witness. Like I said: 9.9/10. He is the epitome of Scaruffi's complaint. Fanofthefabfour once told me that he emailed Scaruffi (in the late 2000s) and I can only imagine Scaruffi's reaction after his thousand page email, something like: "I disagree Smile" And that he is probably the primary influence behind Scaruffi's post Laughing Laughing Laughing and perhaps, before that, had a hand in the vitriol in Scaruffi's Beatles page, thus influencing the very thing he is trying so desperately to take down.

Last edited by AfterHours on 02/27/2018 23:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:24
  • Post subject:
I find actually find super fans amusing compared to the people that run the sites they post on.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:34
  • Post subject:
Being a senior in college means this is my fourth year of hearing all the 'hip hop heads' claim J cole and Drake are two of the greatest rappers of all time and my roommate even swears "J Cole is the new Nas".

Die hard Eminem and Lil Wayne fans still exist too believe it or not.

2Pac as well, basically every single person who listens to rap feels obligated to say 2Pac is the greatest hip-hop artist of all time where I live. I think its just so they can pretend they know what they're talking about and that's what everyone else says so they go along with it. It's really entertaining to me too because I never hear any of those same people actually listening to 2pac. 2pac was obviously a good rapper and very influential, but definitely is not the greatest hip-hop artist of all time. When I say I find 2pac overrated it really makes peoples blood boil around here.

Last edited by travelful on 02/27/2018 23:45; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:42
  • Post subject: Re: The most annoying fanbase?
LedZep wrote:
Why the topic? Cause I really dislike the Radiohead fanbase on BEA. Yeah, I said it! Laughing 90% of charts with the most albums by Radiohead are skippable, and their fans randomly skyrocket their albums, so The Bends ends as the best album of 95' and A Moon Shaped Pool the best of 2016. Duhhh Shocked Also I've found that those annoying people on BEA who give extremely bad ratings and/or rude comments usually think Radiohead are gods.

And I really love Radiohead people! These guys just get on my nerves.

If someone still doesn't believe me:

Link

I can think of several more bands/fanbases like Tool (Not me! No! OTHER Tool fans!), Muse, and of course many mainstream stuff like Bieber and Beyonce, One Direction...

Don't take it too seriously Very Happy Very Happy

OMG. I could never be brave enough to say that. Not around here!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:48
  • Post subject:
Pseudo intellectual Kendrick fans
Five Finger Death Punch
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:49
  • Post subject:
HistoryofRockMusic
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:50
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
As a note, I am well aware that it can go both ways... Cool It is not lost on me that, after so many conversations (both civil and argumentative) over the years, Beatlemaniacs often find myself, Scaruffi, and other so-called "Scaruffists" quite upsetting, I'm sure, at least in regards to our views of the merits of The Beatles.

Btw, my "favorite" Beatlemaniac of all time is good 'ol "fanofthefabfour" from listology.com. He is, without a doubt the greatest fan of all time (9.9/10). He used to come out of nowhere and jump into the middle of conversations about The Beatles and post literally endless pages of quotes and details about his favorite band -- just pages and pages of it, on and on and on. And he wasn't at all self-aware of how ridiculous and annoying he was -- just completely high-jacking entire threads in an onslaught of (sometimes ALL CAPS) evangelical speeches about their merits -- and he was completely serious. You can still run across him to this day around the internet (under different monikers), copying and pasting the same posts he flung at our threads, on other sites/message boards -- just completely f-ing up any conversation that was occurring before hand. I never fail to burst out laughing when I happen across his "work". He doesn't realize how much he is the trolling equivalent of Trout Mask Replica, while loudly despising the album Laughing He is on a mission, but doesn't realize no one is going to read his twenty pages of postings. It is simply amazing to witness. Like I said: 9.9/10. He is the epitome of Scaruffi's complaint. Fanofthefabfour once told me that he emailed Scaruffi (in the late 2000s) and I can only imagine Scaruffi's reaction after his thousand page email, something like: "I disagree Smile" And that he is probably the primary influence behind Scaruffi's post Laughing Laughing Laughing and perhaps, before that, had a hand in the vitriol in Scaruffi's Beatles page, thus influencing the very thing he is trying so desperately to take down.

I've never found the Beatle fan base annoying at all. They're the very best kind of fans. Enthusiastic but never annoying or snobby or bad natured. That's been my experience with them anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 02/27/2018 23:58
  • Post subject:
I love Radiohead, but I certainly don't agree with Pablo Honey being in the top 1000. If a 90s grunge band like Bush had recorded this album, I'm sure its overall rank would be somewhere around #10,000 right now.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 02/28/2018 01:05
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

I've never found the Beatle fan base annoying at all. They're the very best kind of fans. Enthusiastic but never annoying or snobby or bad natured. That's been my experience with them anyway.

Their enthusiasm is awesome. There are those that cant handle it if one expresses disagreement with their merits, when that is what is under discussion. I have no idea what the percentage is and it's not something that concerns me except perhaps during the more conflicting discussions that can occur. But it does come up from time to time. Obviously this sort of reaction can be "triggered" by a lack of tact in presentation, something that I have been guilty of before, and Scaruffi is certainly guilty of as well, including other like-minded types ("guilty", for lack of a better word).
  • Visit poster's website