RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 03:36
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

But yes, categorization is hard and debatable, and there needs to be some standard we use, or we're going to get bogged down in debates over what's what. Two things that would make it easier to use a Rate Your Music standard are that you can create custom charts for any genre to browse the albums in it, and genre assignment is based on a collective of users voting. In contrast, with Wikipedia you'd have to search for each album by name to find its genre, and the genre could have been edited by any individual acting alone at any time.

I'm actually just fine with the duality of Wikepedia and RYM. Of course there's overlap and we won't find perfection with something like a genre, which isn't a hard science. But if there's consensus on one over the other, I'm cool with that too.

I'm perfectly fine for someone voting for Psychedelic music, whether the roots are in hip-hop or rock.

The point is that it's a voting system, so if 50 people vote for Psychedelic music, well then 50 people just said it is a genre they want to talk about.

The key is that this thread is doing genre's first (if enough people vote), and then sub-genre's. If you can prove a sub-genre really is a genre, knock yourself out by voting for it.

And really, it's easy to quash arguments of an album being part of a genre because there's 50 websites that can verify if it is or isn't part of that genre, so as long as the person claiming it or arguing against it can use said tools, discussion over. Now if one out of 50 websites says it, the person claiming that one website has to use their brain and realize that the 49 don't claim it as such.

This really should be easy and fun. No need to complicate it.

Just to clarify, do you plan on going through all the listed macro-genres and then moving on to sub-genres? Or doing a given number and then switching it up?

And as to your second bold point, I'm sorry if I sucked the fun out of this for anyone. I hope not Neutral

RE: sucking fun- not at all - I probably did, hahaha.

RE: Genres then sub-genres
Absolutely.

I want to get a discussion on ALL the genres really, and then from there the more discussed topics will move on to sub-genre discussions.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 03:38
  • Post subject:
So, if I say I'm an expert on Ambient, does that mean that any sub genres should also be mentioned? Dark Ambient, Ethno Ambient, and Drone?

I guess I'd say Ambient, Hip Hop, and Punk? I'd have the most to contribute to those genres.

I know a little bit of everything; however, I feel three areas I lack knowledge would be in Indian, Chinese, and Middle Eastern music. I know a lot music influenced by those kind of sounds, but not many actual artists.

Does that count?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 03:45
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
So, if I say I'm an expert on Ambient, does that mean that any sub genres should also be mentioned? Dark Ambient, Ethno Ambient, and Drone?

I guess I'd say Ambient, Hip Hop, and Punk? I'd have the most to contribute to those genres.

I know a little bit of everything; however, I feel three areas I lack knowledge would be in Indian, Chinese, and Middle Eastern music. I know a lot music influenced by those kind of sounds, but not many actual artists.

Does that count?

Do you have 2 more you could vote for cause I think your vote as a genre, not sub-genre, is:

(by the way nobody has to follow this format, it could be 6 genre's you want to know about and you can change your vote if you thought you had to follow this format):

What you know:
1. Ambient (counting this as a Genre via RYM)
2. Hip-Hop
3. Punk Rock (technically adding to the rock tally, which we can then start delving into subgenres of)

What you'd like to know more about:
1. Asian (Indian, Chinese, and Middle Eastern Music all fall under this genre... according to Wikipedia)

I'm using wikipedia as a source because it's something anyone can go look at and decide. I hope this isn't too confusing or limiting or making it no fun. If so, maybe we do have some kind of consensus on which lists to use.

I'll be posting an official list to choose from. I think I saw someone say, my thread my rules? hahaha... I'm really easy going but just as to make it clear and easy, let's do that?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 03:59
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Well it's the Olympics, right?. You got your Michael Phelps (rock) and you got your greatest badmitton player in the world nobody knows about (avant-garde). I know that's a terrible analogy, but who is to say the badmitton player isn't cooler than Michael Phelps?

Don't worry, both will equally represented, this is just to find out what goes first and what people want to talk about. Put in your vote so your voice is heard and I very much look forward to what you have to offer.

Furthermore, once the parent genres are complete, we will then vote on sub-genres, and so on. But you are right. If anyone is interested in really doing this, they have the wikipedia article, listing hundreds of genres and sub-genres, go knock yourself out. But I come to these forums to learn from people like yourself.

oh yeah I'm down for people sharing stuff and mixing it up, it's great picking things up from each other. but I think the end will be kind of anticlimactic. but I'm down for this however it goes down

I guess here are my votes tho I don't think I'm an expert here or anything but I'd have words to say on the following

know about
1. electronic
2. avant garde
3. jazz

curious about more
4. african (I know a fair amount of stuff but it's a big continent)
5. hip-hop
6. R&B and Soul
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:14
  • Post subject:
That's fair, I figured as much. Other 2 would probably be African and more jazz. I know plenty, but I've been trying to listen to more jazz from the last 30 years or so, which is where I'm lacking.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:17
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Three I know a good deal about
1. Jazz
2. Rock
3. Classical

Three I want to explore further
1. Funk (new genre for our list? I do think of it as distinct from the soul/R&B from which it emerged)
2. African
3. Post Rock (another new entry? It sounds very different from rock to me)

We will be discussing Soul/R&B and all it's sub-genres when we get there, so I'll tally one for it's parent genre.

I can either count rock 2x or you can pick another parent genre listed. While I agree it isn't the same as Little Richard, it still falls under the same parent genre. Let me know.

It's just like classical. Vivaldi and Brahms sound nothing alike.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:19
  • Post subject:
Ok I have edited my six on the first page. If we are respecting both sites as valid, the two punk votes so far would not go toward rock but toward punk, because it is a macro-genre on RYM.
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:21
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Ok I have edited my six on the first page. If we are respecting both sites as valid, the two punk votes so far would not go toward rock but toward punk, because it is a macro-genre on RYM.

Sounds fair! And thanks for the update!

I'm just tallying it up now, so please, if you want your changed vote to count, let me know like baystateoftheart did so I can tally it properly!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:38
  • Post subject:
RichardSauce wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun, and I look forward to it.....

I'd love to see a vote from ya then!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 04/16/2018 04:44
  • Post subject:
So here's the tally for the first night. I've combined some of the genres (don't hate) just to get the ball going/clear confusion/make confusion/get dirty looks. It's down to 21 genres by combining/getting rid of duplicates... that's a lot to chew on and of course the threads will be discussing all of it anyway...

RYM and Wikipedia are still the standard and I'm still ok with the duality and I'm still open to everyone voting for those decided, but for now I'll combine the votes. In the end if it matters, I'll separate them out. No biggie - we'll get this going!

Genre Votes
Ambient 2
Avante-garde, Experimental, Field Recordings, Sounds and Effects 1
Blues 1
Caribbean/Caribbean Influenced (Ska)
Classical Music 3
Comedy & Spoken Word
Country 2
Dance 1
Easy Listening 1
Electronic 3
Folk 1
Hip-Hop 3
Industrial Music
Jazz 5
Musical Theater and Entertainment
New Age
Pop 1
Psychedelia 1
R&B and Soul (Funk) 5
Regional Music including, but not limited to African, Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin 6
Rock (Punk & Metal) 5
  • Visit poster's website