Most overrated band on BEA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which band is the most overrated one on BEA?
The Beatles
8%
 8%  [11]
Radiohead
24%
 24%  [31]
Pink Floyd
9%
 9%  [12]
Led Zeppelin
0%
 0%  [1]
Bob Dylan
1%
 1%  [2]
Nirvana
5%
 5%  [7]
David Bowie
0%
 0%  [1]
The Rolling Stones
1%
 1%  [2]
Arcade Fire
7%
 7%  [10]
The Velvet Underground
3%
 3%  [4]
U2
3%
 3%  [5]
The Clash
0%
 0%  [1]
The Who
0%
 0%  [0]
The Beach Boys
3%
 3%  [4]
Pixies
2%
 2%  [3]
Jimi Hendrix
1%
 1%  [2]
The Smiths
3%
 3%  [5]
Bruce Springsteen
0%
 0%  [1]
Oasis
17%
 17%  [22]
Pearl Jam
3%
 3%  [5]
Total Votes : 129

revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2011 22:18
  • Post subject:
I'm not as well-versed as most of you are, so if there was a band that I really just hadn't listened to, I didn't vote for it.

I went with Pink Floyd, simply because I've never really gotten that into them (despite owning Dark Side of the Moon... I just never really liked it that much).

But maybe I just haven't given it enough time. I'm certainly not passionately against any of the bands on the list.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 11/17/2011 00:55
  • Post subject:
Mind Movie wrote:

Many rock fans includes this album as the only jazz album in their chart. I think that a lot of these people like the sound of jazz, but they are not curious to hear different types of jazz music (as many people think that all jazz music sounds the same) and therefore this is the only jazz album they'll ever get really familiar to.

To me that would be like a jazz man who have Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the only rock album in his chart. Since he's not very interested in rock music, he just pick up the album that the must critics praise the most. Kind of Blue is the most praised jazz album in history by critics, therefore more people unfamiliar with jazz know it and therefore it's rated much higher than any other jazz album in here - unfair if you ask me.

Thats actually the reason I don't include any Jazz on my chart, I love Kind of Blue, A love Supreme, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, but I don't think it would be right putting them on my chart just because they are among the only Jazz albums I've listened too, because I don't know much else of the genre.
sgraham1990

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2011 01:31
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Mind Movie wrote:

Many rock fans includes this album as the only jazz album in their chart. I think that a lot of these people like the sound of jazz, but they are not curious to hear different types of jazz music (as many people think that all jazz music sounds the same) and therefore this is the only jazz album they'll ever get really familiar to.

To me that would be like a jazz man who have Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the only rock album in his chart. Since he's not very interested in rock music, he just pick up the album that the must critics praise the most. Kind of Blue is the most praised jazz album in history by critics, therefore more people unfamiliar with jazz know it and therefore it's rated much higher than any other jazz album in here - unfair if you ask me.

Thats actually the reason I don't include any Jazz on my chart, I love Kind of Blue, A love Supreme, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, but I don't think it would be right putting them on my chart just because they are among the only Jazz albums I've listened too, because I don't know much else of the genre.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a person including a jazz album in their chart just because they don't listen to much jazz. When I'm looking at a persons chart, I figure it's a given that it's a list of their favorite albums that they've actually listened to, 'cause no one's listened to every album ever.

Personally, I can't stand most jazz music, but I include Kind of Blue pretty high on my chart because I really dig that album as an exception to my dislike for jazz. Obviously if I ever acquire a taste for the genre on a deeper level, my chart entries are subject to change.

Oh yeah, and to keep the forum on topic, I voted for Hendrix even though I don't find him that over-rated on this site in particular.
  • Visit poster's website
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 11/17/2011 01:40
  • Post subject:
sgraham1990 wrote:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Mind Movie wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a person including a jazz album in their chart just because they don't listen to much jazz. When I'm looking at a persons chart, I figure it's a given that it's a list of their favorite albums that they've actually listened to, 'cause no one's listened to every album ever.

Personally, I can't stand most jazz music, but I include Kind of Blue pretty high on my chart because I really dig that album as an exception to my dislike for jazz. Obviously if I ever acquire a taste for the genre on a deeper level, my chart entries are subject to change.

I intend on eventually putting Jazz albums on my chart, but if I did now it would be putting them on to make my tastes seem more diverse and informed than they actually are. I've listened to maybe 10-11 jazz albums,
I don't feel like that makes me particularly knowledgeable on Jazz albums. I don't feel comfortable giving opinions on something I don't feel I have the knowledge or authority to give an opinion on.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/17/2011 01:48
  • Post subject:
I voted for Pearl Jam.

Not because I don't like them, but I don't think they should be anywhere near the top 50 bands EVER.

I'm surprised Oasis is being outvoted by Pink Floyd Think

You guys don't think Pink Floyd deserves top 5 bands of all time? Confused
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2011 01:56
  • Post subject:
I think Pearl Jam absolutely deserves to be where they are, if not higher. Besides the fact they have released 9 extremely good albums (and also a great b sides album), they are one of the greatest live bands of all time. I've never been to a concert even close to the level of the Pearl Jam ones I've been to. A lot of people can't warm up to Vedder, and that's fine, but the fact is they've written countless amazing songs. And 20 years later they are still writing great music and putting on one of the best shows going.

As far as Pink Floyd, I personally could never get into them, and I've tried. I just get so bored listening to their music...it seems like you have to be high to enjoy it. Obviously tons of people disagree with me, but they bore the shit out of me.
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2011 01:59
  • Post subject:
Hey, where's Sonic Youth? Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 11/17/2011 04:07
  • Post subject:
kidamnesiac wrote:
kamelot is horribad

a mildly retarded kid could armpit fart a radiohead song and it would be better than kamelot's best song

I am incredibly happy that you said that Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 11/17/2011 04:31
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
kidamnesiac wrote:
kamelot is horribad

a mildly retarded kid could armpit fart a radiohead song

I am incredibly happy that you said that Very Happy

I wouldn't exactly call Thom Yorke a "kid" but ya.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 11/17/2011 04:37
  • Post subject:
lol good one.

whether its him or some other kid.
  • Visit poster's website