Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2021 15:16
  • Post subject:
1993:144/250

So unlike No Regrets where I do have reservations for it, this album 100,000 Whys is just stellar from front to back. With No Regrets, while I do quite enjoy the feeling about it as well as find some of the track being groovable and enjoyable, I do find it at times being somewhat middling and a bit boring for my liking.

Meanwhile this album was just so good. Like, there could be an argument where the slow songs on this album could be boring for some. I would disagree. I find the slow songs maybe isn't the most meticulous and virtuous in a music playing sense, but in the presentation sense this is just glorious. Feels very welcoming and quite healing. Like you could be having a bad day and I would say this would be a pick me up for you. Not only that, the more upbeat tracks slap as well. Like I'm trying to think is there anything I dislike about this album? Maybe one of the vocalizations she does throughout the record? But there is a particular flow to those moments that do hit.

Grade:95
Guaranteed on the year end list. But is possibly a top 10 and a potential 100 in my book. Going to keep an eye on it.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/10/2021 16:30
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Now, I will ask this but do you think Wu Tang clan with solo material would even end up on your countdown for your diary? Or do you have other acts that are on the cutting room floor in the future?

Actually, I’ve thought about it. When it’s all said and done with Dylan, I’ll probably keep exploring the ‘60s for some time. But when I’m in the mood for a new countdown, I’d like said artist to have at least 15 albums, so the Wu - including solo material - would be among the few artists I consider favourites of mine that would qualify. As a result, they ‘d be a very serious candidate.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2021 17:24
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Actually, I’ve thought about it. When it’s all said and done with Dylan, I’ll probably keep exploring the ‘60s for some time. But when I’m in the mood for a new countdown, I’d like said artist to have at least 15 albums, so the Wu - including solo material - would be among the few artists I consider favourites of mine that would qualify. As a result, they ‘d be a very serious candidate.

That's does sound exciting. Though wow, 15 for a minimum feels quite crazy. But the more I think about it, while you have a lot to go for the 1960's (if I am thinking correctly you're at 1963?) A big list would break the monotony.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2021 19:29
  • Post subject:
1993:145/250

Ah, another album from one of the most cherished acts from the 1990's. This would be my sixth album under my belt since I have there more adventurous and more well known albums spanning from 1994 to there finale from 1999. So I am working backwards with there work. And I would say at the beginning of this album, I would say this is quite pleasant and enjoyable, but would have mention the catch where I was a bit bored of it. But when this record continues to go, it gets a bit odd. More spacious. In a lot of ways, this feels a bit of a precursor to there 1997 album Uchu Nippon Setagaya where that album really expanded in the very welcoming and at times moving ambient pop soundscapes. As well as, Neo Yankees when it wants to be energetic, it knows how to do it while being relaxing. While my grade for this might be somewhat low, I think this is a grower. And showed that Fishmans had potential in there earlier years.

Grade:85
A possible honorable mention. Though this had wiggle room as well.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/10/2021 20:17
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
That's does sound exciting. Though wow, 15 for a minimum feels quite crazy. But the more I think about it, while you have a lot to go for the 1960's (if I am thinking correctly you're at 1963?) A big list would break the monotony.

Yeah, not only does it break the monotony, a big list allows you to take a good look at the deepest and darkest corners of said artist's discography, which is one of the main incentives to do this sort of countdown, it allows you to establish a next level relationship with them.
(And yes, 1963 it is.)
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2021 20:57
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Yeah, not only does it break the monotony, a big list allows you to take a good look at the deepest and darkest corners of said artist's discography, which is one of the main incentives to do this sort of countdown, it allows you to establish a next level relationship with them.
(And yes, 1963 it is.)

Cool. I know when you get to 65-69, your gonna have a blast. Though I think you did mention this but once you done with the 60's, you'll go through the other decades?
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2021 21:10
  • Post subject:
1975:9/250 Yeah this year has a long way to go.

I had to give this a listen when baystate mention this was a new age album. Quite curious about it since I do enjoy me a dope new age album. And man this is a dope new age record. If there was any complaints I would have with the album is that while I do love this, I feel like the synth tones on this don't hit my heart the hardest. As well as some of the field recordings like the bubble bath while cool diversions I don't feel it adds in a music sense. But for being a pioneer for new age and coming out 1975 is really impressive. Like some of the playing on this record quite floored me. Also it need to be noted that while Iasos only have 3 albums on this site, he has way more albums spanning up to 2015. Maybe I could go through the rest of his work at some point.

Grade:90
Possible to get on the year end list. Whenever I decide to be more meticulous for 1975.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/11/2021 19:20
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Cool. I know when you get to 65-69, your gonna have a blast. Though I think you did mention this but once you done with the 60's, you'll go through the other decades?

We'll see how it goes, but the '70s is a decade I've always found underwhelming and as a result I'd be interested in investigating further, so that's the plan at the moment.
How exciting you also posted a 1975 album, any intention to dig deeper in the near future or was it a one off for now?
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2021 19:31
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
We'll see how it goes, but the '70s is a decade I've always found underwhelming and as a result I'd be interested in investigating further, so that's the plan at the moment.
How exciting you also posted a 1975 album, any intention to dig deeper in the near future or was it a one off for now?

I would say it is a one off for now. Even though there are a couple albums I'm interested to listen to like the Bowie album as well as the Joni Mitchell album. Realistically, I could see a yesteryear from the 1980's since I'm pretty behind on my 80's output. But that may be once I hit my quota of 250 for 1993 since I have been quite consistent for that year. As well as almost done with another record from 1993 and have another one of what I want to hit up next. Though, I could also see 2020 being next as well since I'm super close and could even up the count to 300-400 albums due to there being way more material. But you never know.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2021 19:44
  • Post subject:
1993:146/250

Man this was excellent. Originally a key player for Massive Attack's debut with working behind the scenes, but is most important to the vocals of Unfinished Symphony actually presents a very potent and promising debut. I would say the biggest strength of this album is when the songs transition from one to another, it becomes quite a delight. Especially if you enjoy a mix of soul, trip hop, dance music. If it played to those strengths all the way through I could see this album be way higher on my enjoyment scale. Though I do have a few issues. For one, while I do love Shara Nelson's vocals there are times where it sounds like her words are being swallowed and becomes hard to comprehend what she is saying. The other thing would be a few tracks like song 4 don't hit me as much as it should. But for the run time, I was quite entertained. As well as interested for her 1995 album.

Grade:90
Possible to get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website