What book are you reading nowadays?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/20/2011 11:38
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
a little over 100 pages into Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon). I dig it so far, but I'm not seeing it as a favorite

WOAH! The book I always, somehow, wanted to read.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 12/20/2011 13:14
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
a little over 100 pages into Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon). I dig it so far, but I'm not seeing it as a favorite

Makes Ulysses seem like a childrens bedtime story...Good luck, bout a 100 pages is as far as I've ever gotten in it before completely losing it, too many damn characters, think I'd have to be in a class about it to ever finish it.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 12/20/2011 13:20
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

Makes Ulysses seem like a childrens bedtime story...Good luck, bout a 100 pages is as far as I've ever gotten in it before completely losing it, too many damn characters, think I'd have to be in a class about it to ever finish it.

Lol - I think I got to page 30...

Will have to try again at some point.

• Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/20/2011 13:28
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

All the more reason for me to read it......I'm getting excited..... Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/20/2011 13:28
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

Lol - I think I got to page 30...

Will have to try again at some point.

Shocked
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2011 16:07
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

yeah it's tough (now about 200 pages in); I think being a fan of Faulkner helped a bit. I'm definitely going to have to give it one reconnaissance read and then a second read for interpretation before I'm willing to say I've 'read it.' Never have read Ulysses because I was intimidated by its reputation; if it's an easier read than this then it's next on my reading list!

And eggman/walrus/taxman, give Burrough's Naked Lunch a read first; I think the shock factor in that will keep you more interested than what's going on in Pynchon, allow you to actually finish the book, and help you in reading other stream-of-conscious texts. Anyways, Naked Lunch is a must read for any TMR fan!
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 12/20/2011 16:49
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

yeah it's tough (now about 200 pages in); I think being a fan of Faulkner helped a bit. I'm definitely going to have to give it one reconnaissance read and then a second read for interpretation before I'm willing to say I've 'read it.' Never have read Ulysses because I was intimidated by its reputation; if it's an easier read than this then it's next on my reading list!

And eggman/walrus/taxman, give Burrough's Naked Lunch a read first; I think the shock factor in that will keep you more interested than what's going on in Pynchon, allow you to actually finish the book, and help you in reading other stream-of-conscious texts. Anyways, Naked Lunch is a must read for any TMR fan!

The hardest part of Ulysses is just getting context on some of the things that are being referenced, nothing a few quick googles can't clear up. If you're not having trouble with GR than you definitely won't have any problems with it. I'm about halfway through Swann's Way, the 1st in Proust's In Search of Lost Time series, it's very dense and poetic, the kind of stuff I love.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/20/2011 16:56
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

Do you think I haven't been planning to read that one too? Laughing Man, then there's The Sound and the Fury to read too........and I own a copy of To the Lighthouse, gonna start it.........SO. MANY. BOOKS. SO. LITTLE. TIME. Frank Zappa said it, man.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2011 18:23
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

Do you think I haven't been planning to read that one too? Laughing Man, then there's The Sound and the Fury to read too........and I own a copy of To the Lighthouse, gonna start it.........SO. MANY. BOOKS. SO. LITTLE. TIME. Frank Zappa said it, man.

Don't forget Absalom! Absalom!, Light in August, and As I Lay Dying! But at your age I think you'll like Naked Lunch the best out of all of those; when your young it still feels taboo and mysterious instead of absolutely absurd
purple

• Posted: 12/20/2011 18:25
  • Post subject:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:
Boogn1sh wrote:
purple wrote:

The hardest part of Ulysses is just getting context on some of the things that are being referenced, nothing a few quick googles can't clear up. If you're not having trouble with GR than you definitely won't have any problems with it. I'm about halfway through Swann's Way, the 1st in Proust's In Search of Lost Time series, it's very dense and poetic, the kind of stuff I love.

In Search of Lost Time! Another book I'm too intimidated to start!