What changes would you like to see in 2012?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 12:03
  • Post subject:
i thought this can be intresting to add in the informations in the bottom of each chart:

Conformist index (or whatever you can call it):

the idea is to see how much a submitted chart by a member looks like the overall chart.
for example, the average ranking album of the overall 100 is 50.5 (1+2+3 .....+100/100). which means the absolute conformist score. then a scale of conformity will be created let say for example:
1. 50.5 -100 conformist level 5
2. 100-150 conformist level 4
3. 150 -200 conformist level 3
.... etc

and then the average rank album will be calculated for each chart, and the the chart will receive its conformist score depending on the scale previously chosen.

what do you think about that ?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 12:10
  • Post subject:
I think it would encourage some to put up a "non-conformist" chart just for the sake of it, not many like to be called "conformists". Somehow I think it's a little bit discriminating, "conformist" is generally negatively connoted. I'd rather look at a "conformist" chart than an originality showoff.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/29/2011 12:48
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
These time estimates allow for the fact these changes will be done in my spare time which isn't always freely available. I have a day job which provides living expenses. If I didn't need a day job, these changes would get done a lot quicker!

I understood. *wisely nods*
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 13:04
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I think it would encourage some to put up a "non-conformist" chart just for the sake of it, not many like to be called "conformists". Somehow I think it's a little bit discriminating, "conformist" is generally negatively connoted. I'd rather look at a "conformist" chart than an originality showoff.

i agree, but i don't think it's a reason not to add this feature. plus i don't think that the majority will change its chart just to be more original. but some will do that's for sure, just like some are adding albums from the 60s just to have some old stuff (or jazz albums...).

but i agree that a better term can be found, i just don't know which one Confused
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/29/2011 14:23
  • Post subject:
I like the thinking behind the idea, but I also agree with Norman Bates that just because it is different doesn't make it better and highlighting the degree of conformity might encourage people to make obscure choices for their charts because they think that conformity is a factor that will lead to a better rating.

If we encourage charts to be different for the sake of it, it might not mean the best albums are added to the site because the best albums are not encouraged to be added. And how do you measure the conformity of a chart if the BEA overall chart is always changing? and the same problem with decade or year charts? This is certainly something that could be added to the site, but it would need to be done carefully and isn't very straight-forward.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:40
  • Post subject:
i understand your point and i know that it's a delicate feature.

about the feature itself and the changing overall chart. well i don't see the problem actually since the score will change when the overall chart changes. the index is only the average ranking of the chart. it's like the nationality or the decade chart which changes when the chart is edited.

but actually people have already the pressure of the group tastes, medias to choose their albums, which means its never a complete independent choice actually. so adding this index may just compensate a little bit this (well for people for whom it's important to have a unique chart, i don't for example).

i seriously don't think that this feature will have a significant impact on the overall chart, but it can be an interesting information for a member, like having the favorite music styles depending on the person's ratings, but that's another story.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/29/2011 15:43
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I like the thinking behind the idea, but I also agree with Norman Bates that just because it is different doesn't make it better and highlighting the degree of conformity might encourage people to make obscure choices for their charts because they think that conformity is a factor that will lead to a better rating.

If we encourage charts to be different for the sake of it, it might not mean the best albums are added to the site because the best albums are not encouraged to be added. And how do you measure the conformity of a chart if the BEA overall chart is always changing? and the same problem with decade or year charts? This is certainly something that could be added to the site, but it would need to be done carefully and isn't very straight-forward.

Agreed. (Though, frankly, you can just check on your conformity by going RFNAPLES' or some recognized chart, and see which albums you have in common and all that stuff, but I don't think that will work well, since it seems that most people dislike it and don't make similar charts and all) And there should be a different term for it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2011 16:13
  • Post subject:
It's called congruency.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/29/2011 16:21
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
It's called congruency.

Congruency....congruence.........congruency, that's it! Good going, Nape!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/29/2011 18:58
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
It's called congruency.

hey that's good ! Wink
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website