View previous topic :: View next topic
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States
  • Posted: 01/28/2012 22:46
  • Post subject:
mancsoulsister wrote:
Bork wrote:

Yup. We had a goth group too but they were sort of a fringe group and started a little later. They all dressed in black and listened to The Sisters of Mercy.

yeah and The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus.... Were your Goths totally miserable and never ever ever cracked a smile?

Actually, with a few exceptions, they weren't all that bad. Most of them grew up to be good people. I think it was for the most part just looking for an identity. When they realized being a fanboy isn't an identity they turned normal.
  • Visit poster's website
Charicature

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2012 04:18
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
As Mr. Shankly mentioned, Depeche were hugely popular there for a while with the same sort of following that U2 gained a few years later. When I was in school you were either a "hardrocker" and heralded the likes of Kiss, Maiden and Priest as the reason for living, or a "synther" in which case you most certainly listened to Depeche. In that battle I naturally went with the hardrockers and grew my hair long and unruly instead of sporting one of them silly looking fad short haircuts with one long, narrow strand of it remaining off center in the back.

Anyways, after coming out of that phase I realized that Depeche were a pretty damn good band, and that they were a lot more than just generic synth pop. After Personal Jesus it appears that they disappeared into obscurity and this may be the first time I heard anyone talk about them since the 90's. I need to go listen to their albums again.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I am aware they kept putting out records and drawing some rather impressive crowds to their shows, but they still somehow appear to have gone from super hyped to forgotten.

They hit the top 40 pop charts in the States with songs from both Songs of Faith and Devotion and Ultra - it was only after that that they disappeared from the "popular" radar. It pretty much coincided with Alan Wilder's departure after SoFaD and Gahan's near-death drug overdose and susequent rehab. But mostly it was due to missing Wilder's technical expertise and classical music training.
Mr. Shankly

United States
  • Posted: 01/29/2012 13:31
  • Post subject:
They used to have nickname: "Depressed Mode." Laughing For those of you that think the Smiths are too mopey, listen to a couple Depeche Mode albums. Now that's mopey. Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website