Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 02:58
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:

He won for Best Rock Album, yes? Okay let's dissect his speech:

Dave Grohl wrote:
For me this award means alot because it shows that the human element of making rock is the most important.

How does it show that? It's a general 'Rock' award. Unless for some bizarre reason someone thinks 'Rock' = 'Music', I don't see how that statement makes sense?

I don't think that's what he's trying to say. What he did say is that if you record an album without all the gizmos and gadgets you can still in this day and age create something worth listening to. They got the award for doing just that instead of something produced and altered to death.

Jhereko wrote:
Dave Grohl wrote:
Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning your craft is the most important thing for people to do.

sampling, auto-tuning, Making beats on a computer etc are all crafts as well.

Maybe so. And there are people who think that music made by people who can't sing or play is just as valid as that made by those who can, if you just fix it up so that it sounds like they can. Much like some people think Campbell's Mushroom Soup is mushroom soup even though there isn't even as much as one mushroom in it. There are other things that TASTE like mushrooms though.

Jhereko wrote:
Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about sounding correct.

unless of course that is what you're aiming for? Why not let people sound how they want to sound Dave? If they want to take out all the bum notes in their voice just because they like the way it sounds...what's wrong with that?

There may not be a wrong or right here and Mr. Grohl may very well be aware that he is stating an opinion rather than a fact, I do not know. I won't claim to know exactly what he meant either but I could translate it for myself to mean that a perfect end product is overrated. It is just as much about conveying something meaningful (not necessarily by having important lyrics) and just going out there and having fun. Not that anyone just going out there having fun is interesting, but a lot of my music heroes are so very much for that ability.

Jhereko wrote:
Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s not about what goes on in a computer.

Again manipulating and creating music on a computer are absolutely crafts and not everyone is capable of doing them. So yeah, to an extent, it is about what goes on on a computer - dependent on the sound you're trying to make.

Sure, but it's just a tool, nothing more.

Jhereko wrote:
Dave Grohl wrote:
It’s about what goes on in here (points to heart) and what goes on in here (points to head.)

How is saying this whilst accepting an award for 'Best Rock Album' and starting his speech with "For me this award means alot because it shows that the human element of making rock is the most important. " not saying that he thinks that Rock is the only emotionally impacting/significant genre? Yeah in electronic/RnB/Hip-Hop etc there are songs that aren't very emotionally impacting. Is he, or anyone else agreeing with him, trying to say that all Rock music created without a computer is emotionally resonant?

To me it still sounds like he's putting Rock above everything else and belittling every other genre, which to me is grotesque and especially at an awards show that attempts to award all kinds of music.

Doesn't sound like that at all to me. If you put the speech in the context of the Rock award instead of insisting that he spoke of all music he is saying that it is fine to just walk into a garage and start recording. You could just as well assume that he was comparing their award with those who were nominated but didn't win. I never heard him put any of the other winners down for whatever they are doing.

That said. I never was a big fan of their music. I liked the speech though.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/14/2012 03:04
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
If you put the speech in the context of the Rock award instead of insisting that he spoke of all music he is saying that it is fine to just walk into a garage and start recording.

If that's what he was saying then okay - I'm fine and down with that. I don't think it was but okay. Though If it was what he was saying, it seems a little redundant.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2012 03:11
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Bork wrote:
If you put the speech in the context of the Rock award instead of insisting that he spoke of all music he is saying that it is fine to just walk into a garage and start recording.

If that's what he was saying then okay - I'm fine and down with that. I don't think it was but okay. Though If it was what he was saying, it seems a little redundant.

Actually, thinking about it some more, you could even narrow it down even further than that and ironically that shows clearer why such a comment would not be redundant at all. This is all speculation of course, but here is what he may have been saying:

"We were going to record this album the way we've done with all of the others. Big studio with all the fancy stuff we can get our hands on and plenty of post-production work to ensure the sound is as perfect as possible. Instead we went into a garage, played our music, and put it on record. This award shows that that is just as valid. You don't have to do all the fluff in order for music to be good music".

EDIT: ...and he may have said "The pop shit that wins stuff nowadays is fucking horrible. Here's in your face pop shit". But I prefer the other interpretation.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 02/14/2012 03:26
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy Rolling Eyes

But only if your IQ is about 60 as is yours.

NEXT

Evil or Very Mad

I thought we were friends, GARY. Now you've made me look like a damned fool! Crying or Very sad

I just want you to know we could have had something together... We could have been something. I was going to sell the farm and start up that falafel store like we always talked about. Well I guess that's just a shitty pipe dream now.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/14/2012 03:28
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
GARY wrote:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy Rolling Eyes

NEXT

Evil or Very Mad

I thought we were friends, GARY. Now you've made me look like a damned fool! Crying or Very sad

I just want you to know we could have had something together... We could have been something. I was going to sell the farm and start up that falafel store like we always talked about. Well I guess that's just a shitty pipe dream now.

You obviously have me confused with someone who actually gives a shit.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2012 03:29
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
GARY wrote:

Ya, real complicated shit there squishy :roll:

NEXT

:evil:

I thought we were friends, GARY. Now you've made me look like a damned fool! :cry:

You obviously have me confused with someone who actually gives a shit.

lol @ GARY's inability to understand or comeback to sarcasm

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Ozzy0

• Posted: 02/14/2012 07:42
  • Post subject:
Fresh pooooooooooots!!!!!!!!!!
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 02/14/2012 08:38
  • Post subject:
Just one random note

There's nothing wrong (or less worthy) with making music with sampling, autotuning (etc) even if you can't sing or play, as long as you don't use those tools to try and make people think you can sing and play.
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 02/14/2012 11:11
  • Post subject:
pushing buttons on a computer is not a talent! Evil or Very Mad

Link

great quote there as well: "I hate it when people compare Dave Grohl to God. I mean, he's cool and all, but he's not Dave Grohl." Laughing Cool