34%
 34%  [11]
Bob Dylan
65%
 65%  [21]
Total Votes : 32

• Posted: 07/14/2012 10:04
  • Post subject:
Goddammit! Evil or Very Mad Didn't I warn? Don't even joke about it! I would have locked this thread if I were a moderator. Brick wall An insult to humanity, that's what this thread is all about, that is!!
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 07/14/2012 10:42
  • Post subject:
I think Newsom's compositions are much more intellectual and intricate, but Bob Dylan is far better at lyrics, storytelling and being consistently brilliant.

Both are geniuses I'd say - Newsom at song writing and Bob Dylan at connecting it's listeners to characters and worlds. The latter of which, I'd say, is that much more powerful for me to vote for Dylan.
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 07/14/2012 13:39
  • Post subject:
People always seems to underrate Bob Dylan's abilities as a songwriter. He has written a bigger amount of catchy tunes and great melodies than The Beatles have. His structures might not be very complex, but I think the simplicity gives his songs a lot of charm and might be what really makes them work: he insists that four chords can make a +10 minute tune, and he succeed it while still manage to keep things entertaining and interesting. He can make a song constantly searching for new elements while being stuck to a monotone chord progression and without adding any significant arrangements. One of the reasons why Bob Dylan is my favorite musician.

And I'm not trying denigrate Joanna Newsom. I've only heard one of her album, Ys. And I've given that album a perfect 100/100 score, it's currently no. 14 on my overall chart as well as no. 1 on my 2000s chart. That one album is enough to make her one of my favorite artists, and I'm sure as I'll discover her works further in future, her status will only rise. I'll just say that Newsom is Newsom and Dylan is Dylan: Bob Dylan performing Only Skin would sound pathetic, and Joanna Newsom performing Desolation Row would sound pathetic. They aren't the same kind of singer/songwriter.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 07/14/2012 15:18
  • Post subject:
This is a cruel and difficult poll. In the end however I have to choose Dylan.

I think Borve's post says most of what I feel.

I should note that people might be slightly exaggerating the complexity of Joanna Newsom's songs. Most often they quite complex compared to most musicians, but she has also written quite a few simple 3 or 4 chord things as well.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/20/2012 12:50
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
People always seems to underrate Bob Dylan's abilities as a songwriter. He has written a bigger amount of catchy tunes and great melodies than The Beatles have. His structures might not be very complex, but I think the simplicity gives his songs a lot of charm and might be what really makes them work: he insists that four chords can make a +10 minute tune, and he succeed it while still manage to keep things entertaining and interesting. He can make a song constantly searching for new elements while being stuck to a monotone chord progression and without adding any significant arrangements. One of the reasons why Bob Dylan is my favorite musician.

And I'm not trying denigrate Joanna Newsom. I've only heard one of her album, Ys. And I've given that album a perfect 100/100 score, it's currently no. 14 on my overall chart as well as no. 1 on my 2000s chart. That one album is enough to make her one of my favorite artists, and I'm sure as I'll discover her works further in future, her status will only rise. I'll just say that Newsom is Newsom and Dylan is Dylan: Bob Dylan performing Only Skin would sound pathetic, and Joanna Newsom performing Desolation Row would sound pathetic. They aren't the same kind of singer/songwriter.

Exactly.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
btener11
Expert Treasure Hunter

United States

• Posted: 07/20/2012 21:47
  • Post subject:
what an odd comparison...
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2012 08:21
  • Post subject:
Joanna Newsom, may be talented, but this is a ridiculous comparison! It's kind of like saying who was better, the 1929 Yankees or the 2011 Cardinals? Babe Ruth or Alex Rodriguez? Gee, let me think. Think Laughing

I guess my first question would be, how many important artists do you think Joanna Newsom has influenced and how many do you think Bob Dylan has? Take your time.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/26/2012 08:23
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Joanna Newsom, might be talented, but this is a ridiculous comparison. It's kind of like saying who was better, the 1929 Yankees or the 2011 Cardinals? Babe Ruth or Alex Rodriguez? Gee, let me think. Think Laughing

I guess my first question would be, how many important artists do you think Joanna Newsom has influenced and how many do you think Bob Dylan has? Take your time.

Forget influence. Who was the artist who made Highway 61 Revisited, which is just the greatest album of all time? Take your time remembering the name.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 07/26/2012 08:58
  • Post subject:
Since when has influence been a deciding factor in your decisions Mr Shankly? Spending too much time with Hairymarx? Razz

Perhaps this should have just been a question of who you prefer as a lyricist.

And seeing as I brought it up. Joanna Newsom > Bob Dylan.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2012 09:57
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
Since when has influence been a deciding factor in your decisions Mr Shankly? Spending too much time with Hairymarx? Razz

Perhaps this should have just been a question of who you prefer as a lyricist.

And seeing as I brought it up. Joanna Newsom > Bob Dylan.

Oh, well the answer would still be Dylan. Enlighten me: What has Newsom written that is as strong lyrically as It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding, Mr. Tambourine Man, Subterranean Homesick Blues, My Back Pages, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, With God on Our Side, A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall, The Times They Are a Changin', Idiot Wind, Ballad of A Thin Man, and Desolation fuckin' Row?!! ... I'll stop there.
  • Visit poster's website