38%  [7]
Total Votes : 18

nutso42

• Posted: 01/12/2013 23:27
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
EXTRA! EXTRA!

NUTSO'S ARTICLE RETARDED!

No, no, it wasn't my article, it was Kyle Anderson's.

The correct saying would be Nutso's opinions are retarded.
purple

• Posted: 01/14/2013 03:20
  • Post subject:
I just finished Silver Linings Playbook, and all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't see it in theatres...

because a couple hundred people would've caught me crying like a bitch.
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 01/14/2013 06:33
  • Post subject:
i've only seen Beasts of the Southern Wild yet. i'm surprised that moonrise kingdom has not been selcted Think
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/16/2013 04:57
  • Post subject:
Having an Oscar nominee marathon soon. But Lincoln is lookin' like the big obvious and undeserving winner here this year.

Hurrah for the increasingly predictable Oscars!

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/25/2013 21:32
  • Post subject:
Right now I have only seen five 2012 movies, so I'm a bit behind on things. My assessment so far (will try to update it regulary until the Oscars, each time when I see 5 more):

-Moonrise Kingdom. My favourite. As I said in another thread, it's Wes Anderson style, played to perfection. The humour, the characters (both of the main kids played their roles perfectly), the whole quirkiness, it's all there. Only one Oscar nomination though, for the best original screenplay, but I think it certainly deserves it. I haven't seen Amour and Flight yet, so it could still change for me, but I kinda doubt it.

-Zero Dark Thirty. Oh man, similar to The Hurt Locker in many ways. It's definitely not without its problems, for example I certainly don't think anybody should take it as an "objective" representation of the whole "War on terror" (or, as a Pakistani reviewer on IMDb says, of the country of Pakistan), or even search for Bin Laden. It neglects to mention quite a few important details. BUT, I think it's (as was Hurt Locker), a fascinating portayal of people "within" this job, the emotions, dangers, intensity, that go with it, and ultimately how these people are withdrawn from "real life". Once I got past the fact that this movie does not attempt to be objective about the wider scheme of things, I enjoyed it. I really, really enjoyed it. As far as the Oscars go, I kinda can't believe Bigelow wasn't nominated for direction. It's really a "director's movie", if you know what I mean. The other categories it's in, I'm not sure. I won't be mad if Jessica won, though she wasn't exactly a huge standout. I also wouldn't be mad if it won best picture, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I still have a bunch of stuff to see.

-Silver Linings Playbook. Eeeeh, I wasn't too thrilled with this one to be honest. However, I did LOVE Bradley Cooper. He was fantastic. This movie has three more actors nominated, but honestly, while they were all OK, he overshadowed the rest. Maybe it's because of this, that I also didn't "feel" Lawrence's performance that much.

-Django Unchained. Far from Tarantino's best. Not bad, and there is a lot to like here, but I just feel that everything he sets to do here, is similar to what he was doing in his previous work, just not as good. 5 Oscar nominees, not sure if deserved. Waltz was great, so I won't mind if he gets it, but even he was better in "Basterds" (or at least his character was better, which made the overall performance even better as a result).

Apart from these four, I also saw Hunger Games. I enjoyed it, but it's not exactly a standout in any way, so I don't think no Oscar nominations is unfair. But I possibly liked Lawrence even more here, than in SPP...

Anyway... so much for now..
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 01/25/2013 22:42
  • Post subject:
The expansion of the best picture category during 2010 that allows 9 or 10 films as competitors shows that the whole thing is full of crap. They were having constantly reduced ratings because they were excluding from the Best Picture 5 commercially successful films, the climax of it being 2008 (even though Juno had done well, surpassing 100 million in the U.S. box office) and 2009 where they controversially excluded The Dark Knight (although they had good ratings that year, most probably from support by popular films like Benjamin Button and Slumdog which was the big winner). Afraid that this would go on, they decided this hoax in order to get everyone included so that the bets would have more buckets in which they would be divided (therefore more profits, with less possibilities of guessing) and to include the year's "big" commercially film which was also received well by critics, independently from the fact that it could not be included if the nominated films in that category would still be five, to give some people the motive to watch their boring show in agony if the film they loved and watched with their friends in theater is gonna be rewarded. Kinda stupid, since two huge commercial giants of the pst few years, Inception and Avatar, would still be included, had they still kept it to a 5 maximum.

I haven't seen any of the nominees of this main category this year yet, although I'll get around to, when I'm done with my everyday life duties this current time.

And by the way, yes, I could care less, 10,000,000,000 times more important things are happening out there and the neo-libertarian model of the 20th century western civilization seems to be collapsing these days. But I am not the guy who is gonna write something about it, there are 10,000,000,000 times better analysts out there to do that, including in this forum. But nobody asked me to anyway, and why would they?
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/26/2013 22:01
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
The expansion of the best picture category during 2010 that allows 9 or 10 films as competitors shows that the whole thing is full of crap. They were having constantly reduced ratings because they were excluding from the Best Picture 5 commercially successful films, the climax of it being 2008 (even though Juno had done well, surpassing 100 million in the U.S. box office) and 2009 where they controversially excluded The Dark Knight (although they had good ratings that year, most probably from support by popular films like Benjamin Button and Slumdog which was the big winner). Afraid that this would go on, they decided this hoax in order to get everyone included so that the bets would have more buckets in which they would be divided (therefore more profits, with less possibilities of guessing) and to include the year's "big" commercially film which was also received well by critics, independently from the fact that it could not be included if the nominated films in that category would still be five, to give some people the motive to watch their boring show in agony if the film they loved and watched with their friends in theater is gonna be rewarded. Kinda stupid, since two huge commercial giants of the pst few years, Inception and Avatar, would still be included, had they still kept it to a 5 maximum.

I haven't seen any of the nominees of this main category this year yet, although I'll get around to, when I'm done with my everyday life duties this current time.

And by the way, yes, I could care less, 10,000,000,000 times more important things are happening out there and the neo-libertarian model of the 20th century western civilization seems to be collapsing these days. But I am not the guy who is gonna write something about it, there are 10,000,000,000 times better analysts out there to do that, including in this forum. But nobody asked me to anyway, and why would they?

.................................what the fuck are you talking about?

• Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 01/26/2013 22:26
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
.................................what the fuck are you talking about?

About how in my opinion they expanded the Best Picture nominees from 5 to 10 (and now 9) the last few years in order to include more popular and beloved films, and therefore more people watching the awards ceremony. And there is no need to insult anybody-I didn't do that in the first place.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/26/2013 23:13
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
About how in my opinion they expanded the Best Picture nominees from 5 to 10 (and now 9) the last few years in order to include more popular and beloved films, and therefore more people watching the awards ceremony. And there is no need to insult anybody-I didn't do that in the first place.

No, I know what you were saying, but it came out of total left field, was way longer than it needed to be and featured a head-scratchingly redundant coda at the end.

• Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/27/2013 00:25
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?