37%  [18]
They're both crap.
18%
 18%  [9]
Total Votes : 48

Le_Samurai

• Posted: 02/25/2013 02:35
  • Post subject:
Princes music has aged a lot better than Jackson's music has. Strangely, Off the Wall has aged the lease for me, with Thriller sounding very 1982-ish and Bad sounding very similar. All three of those albums have their moments, though, and as a singles artists, Jackson is nearly Princes equal. Jackson nearly wins the better singles artist competition for having "I Want You Back" in his discography from his Jackson 5 days, but he's what made it so great, so I'll give him credit. However, Prince released several albums that could easily rank as the best album of the 80's and to me, thats what makes him far better than Jackson. His guitar work also pushes him above Jackson. His playing on Purple Rain's title track is some of the most beautiful, emotional, and amazing playing this side of "Maggot Brain".
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 02:49
  • Post subject:
I'm glad I hadn't voted before sharing my opinion though as I just saw that the question specifically says who is the king of pop. My vote will have to go to MJ.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 03:55
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Not sure how you can describe Prince as being either "a grower" or not "as good" as MJ based on one album. Take some time to check out his other stuff.

Will do, but I came to this conclusion simply based on why would I want more if I don't like his greatest album Purple Rain enough to thirst for more? But then again maybe what everyone considers to be his greatest isn't his greatest. Which would you suggest? Or do you think I would be better of starting with a best of? Are his albums an acquired taste?

On the other hand I could enjoy almost all of MJs albums, especially those from Off the Wall to HIStory Continues (Disc 2)

Then again MJ was such a fan of Prince that he named his two sons after him, twice, Prince's name first of course. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/25/2013 04:07
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Will do, but I came to this conclusion simply based on why would I want more if I don't like his greatest album Purple Rain enough to thirst for more? But then again maybe what everyone considers to be his greatest isn't his greatest. Which would you suggest? Or do you think I would be better of starting with a best of? Are his albums an acquired taste?

On the other hand I could enjoy almost all of MJs albums, especially those from Off the Wall to HIStory Continues (Disc 2)

Then again MJ was such a fan of Prince that he named his two sons after him, twice, Prince's name first of course. Very Happy

I started off with the 3CD Hits & B-Sides collection, which was a perfect introduction. In terms of albums, I'd recommend Sign "☮" the Times, 1999, Dirty Mind, Lovesexy and Parade first (given that you've already tried Purple Rain). Then I'd move onto Around The World In A Day, The Gold Experience, The Black Album, Batman, Controversy and (The Love Symbol Album). Then, if you're still looking for more, Musicology, Emancipation and his self-titled album. There isn't a lot I care for outside of those.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 04:53
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I started off with the 3CD Hits & B-Sides collection, which was a perfect introduction. In terms of albums, I'd recommend Sign "☮" the Times, 1999, Dirty Mind, Lovesexy and Parade first (given that you've already tried Purple Rain). Then I'd move onto Around The World In A Day, The Gold Experience, The Black Album, Batman, Controversy and (The Love Symbol Album). Then, if you're still looking for more, Musicology, Emancipation and his self-titled album. There isn't a lot I care for outside of those.

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2013 10:33
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I don't like his greatest album Purple Rain

Firstly, anyone who regards Purple Rain as Prince's greatest album should go listen to Sign "☮" the Times.

MrFrogger wrote:
Michael Jackson has(had?) far more talent.

I'm not sure what constitutes talent here. Singing or dancing? It certainly isn't song writing or musicianship.

sethmadsen wrote:
Michael Jackson as a musician just can't be beat...

How many of Jackson's hits were written by him? Did he play any of the instruments? Prince, on the other hand, not only wrote all his own material but there are a few artists who's biggest hits were written by him. He was also able to release entire albums where he played every single instrument.

However, if we're talking king of pop then, sure, MJ can have that but look what it did to him.

Last edited by ButterThumbz on 02/25/2013 10:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
thursdayeno

• Posted: 02/25/2013 10:46
  • Post subject:
i have emancipation, the cd's are wrecked now but the third disc is pretty good

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website
Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 02/25/2013 10:50
  • Post subject:
Prince = King, of course.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2013 14:12
  • Post subject:
Jacko was the biggest pop star, but Prince had many more quality albums in the 80s and could actually play guitar, keys, produce, etc., and that's not even counting all the songs he wrote for other, mostly female, musicians.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/25/2013 23:41
  • Post subject:
Prince was so prolific... So I voted for him.

But I find that sometimes the public image of Michael Jackson overshadows the fact that he made 3.5 amazing albums.